Please Discuss | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Please Discuss

Curious how you lay the blame at everyone's feet but the federal government.
How is parking enforcement a federal issue?

The rank and file in the Ottawa police seemed to ignore what the boss wanted them to do. The OPP were never ordered in (thanks Doug) so who was left to clean up the sh*t show ? I'm no fan of JT but he didn't have a choice.

I remember seeing a POV video someone shot from the driver's seat of their pickup. They thought they were going to get in a confrontation with an Ottawa city cop they came across, asked if what they were doing (at the time) was a problem. The cop laughed and said ''we're on your side''.

I'm getting filmed? Meh. My Staff Sargent feels the same way, so............

I remember seeing a POV video someone shot from the driver's seat of their pickup. They thought they were going to get in a confrontation with an Ottawa city cop they came across, asked if what they were doing (at the time) was a problem. The cop laughed and said ''we're on your side''.

I'm getting filmed? Meh. My Staff Sargent feels the same way, so............
Again a failure. Should have adjudicated PSA charges for that. If union or rank and file gets ****** off and walks out, fire them all for illegal strike. No cops are better than cops that think they are above the law. Good time to start a rebuild without mouth breathers.

Policing in Ottawa is Ottawa's responsibility. The courts, inquiries and mainstream media have collectively not bothered to point fingers at Ford. Your opinion is based entirely on your hate for Ford and has no connection to reality.

The federal government doesn't seem to mind putting pressure on police forces when it regards press releases about gun crime.
Do you know what province Ottawa is in and policing is provincial nothing to do with federal government.

Sent from the future

Do you know what province Ottawa is in and policing is provincial nothing to do with federal government.

Sent from the future
Do you know what country Ottawa is in and policing in Ottawa is nothing to do with the provincial government.

Why did all of the court cases, inquiries and mainstream media focus on Ottawa police and not the OPP or the RCMP.

Reactions: TK4
Why not? They've been used for snow removal.
I've kinda wondered how Mel pulled that off, and yet no other time have they been used like this in a somewhat civil capacity.
(at least to my knowledge)
Yes over kill for a snow day, but he did something. Yet today's leadership fail to do anything.

The three levels of policing in Canada are Municipal/Region, Provincial, and Federal. When the municipal level failed the next "level up" is provincial as yes Ottawa is in Ontario and also under provincial jurisdiction (that's Dougie), and then when THAT failed it was time for the feds (everyone's buddy JT), as Ottawa is also in Canada..... I get people have JT hate and Dougie love and want things to be black and white but to think that the dug in ramranchers/karen convoy issues were just Ottawa's and the fed's problem and entirely skipped provincial jurisdiction is disingenuous or at least misinformed. Hell most of what they were "protesting" were provincial mandates with just some federal ones (and US ones oddly enough).

Ottawa may have some odd things like certain specific places in the area are under federal jurisdiction but for the most part that was used as an excuse by the first two levels that failed to clear these individuals from city streets.

I for one did enjoy the removal show regardless of what the court says. It was a job well done by many police forces (from across the country, with a special call out for the efforts of the Surete du Quebec--respect) working together but one that should have been done by the city THEN province much sooner. What they did in Toronto is a good example of what should have been done, feds not required.

Do you know what country Ottawa is in and policing in Ottawa is nothing to do with the provincial government

Traffic, bylaw, and parking enforcement are within municipal jurisdiction in Ottawa just as with any other city, and that's where these events happened. RCMP (federal) has specific areas of responsibility only.

Ottawa Police Service - Wikipedia (yes wikipedia, but it's accurate)

Why did all of the court cases, inquiries and mainstream media focus on Ottawa police and not the OPP or the RCMP.
Because they're concentrating, too much in my opinion, on what was going on in Ottawa, and that would be Ottawa Police Service's purview, they were in charge.
If Ottawa Police asked for help from the OPP or RCMP, the imported officers would work under the command of Ottawa Police Service. Everything happening in Ottawa was Ottawa Police Services game.
It doesn't help that both the RCMP and OPP command were complaining about Ottawa Police command WHILE this was all going down... and THEN the chief of Ottawa Police stepped down and away....
Personally I think the biggest reason JT used this Act was the phone call from Biden on the 11th (IIRC), where Biden chided JT for not doing enough at the Ambassador bridge, that was affecting trade. This whole thing should never have landed on JT's desk, it was a provincial and municipal problem to solve. Biden got involved, JT panicked and over reacted.
I want to remind everyone: the Emergency Measures Act replaced/updated a law called The WAR Measures Act, which was only ever used by Pierre Trudeau, during the FLQ uprising in Quebec... during a much more troubled worldwide backdrop... and the FLQ was out killing and kidnapping politicians and blowing stuff up on a regular basis... and it was quite controversial THEN too
The various police officers, from forces across the country, that overtly showed support for the "Freedom Convoy" is a REAL problem, and is just as much of an issue as JT wheeling out the Emergency Measures Act, and it's not much of a stretch that how the police treated the "protesters" had bearing on JT's panicked decision.

I've kinda wondered how Mel pulled that off, and yet no other time have they been used like this in a somewhat civil capacity.
Yes over kill for a snow day, but he did something. Yet today's leadership fail to do anything.
They were not called in to police the civilian population but instead to help out (basically manpower) during an emergency. No different IMO than when they are called in to help out during floods, forest fires, etc. Not an everyday thing but it is not that uncommon in Canada....

Should they or shouldn't they have been called by Mel??? To be fair when big cities are hit with big snow the main problem is not total helplessness but instead moving it and then where to put the stuff.

Should they or shouldn't they have been called by Mel??? To be fair when big cities are hit with big snow the main problem is not total helplessness but instead moving it and then where to put the stuff.
Meh TO has pretty good snow removal. I've yet to see it come to a complete standstill. Actually that day of the storm, I went up to collingwood for skiing, as usual. It was an amazing day to be out in the snow.
Also we have the hydrator machines, no need to put it anyplace they can just evaporate it if it's that bad.

Meh TO has pretty good snow removal. I've yet to see it come to a complete standstill. Actually that day of the storm, I went up to collingwood for skiing, as usual. It was an amazing day to be out in the snow.
Also we have the hydrator machines, no need to put it anyplace they can just evaporate it if it's that bad.
On the snow melting front, take that global warming. Each machine melts 136 tonnes an hour. That's probably in the ballpark of 1250 litres of diesel per hour of operation. It could easily be much higher if it's cold out.

They are often sent out to assist in fighting forest fires. IIRC they were in BC for the massive flooding a few years ago as well.

On the snow melting front, take that global warming. Each machine melts 136 tonnes an hour. That's probably in the ballpark of 1250 litres of diesel per hour of operation. It could easily be much higher if it's cold out.
I've rarely seen them out, but when you do you can't miss them, it's like some futuristic machine from the movies.

The commerce area downtown must be melted heated all the time most of those areas have little to no snow. I've seen them use this riding sweeping machines to clear the snow though.

I'm skimming the court's written findings (link from raginduck on page 1) - Very lengthy.

"[242] It is not disputed that the discoveries of weapons, ammunition and other materials at
Coutts was deeply troubling and greatly influenced the Cabinet in recommending the invocation
of the Act."

[254] "... except in Ottawa" and [255] are of interest.

[290] ... "except for Ottawa"

[295], [296], [297] of interest and there are quite a few more after this.

[308] [309] very important. Note phrase "To the extent that peaceful protestors did not participate in
the actions of those disrupting the peace"

[314] important

I'm skipping a bunch but I encourage analysis of this document (more in depth than my brief skimming). It is extremely thorough and diligent.

[370] is really important.

Back
Top Bottom