Plastic Lawn Mower fuel tank repair help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Plastic Lawn Mower fuel tank repair help

GVH

So my neighbours lawnmower gas tank got chewed 2 very small holes on top but leaks well and constantly when in use. Looking on line loads of bad ideas. New is $91 or $108 plus tax and delivery

Anyone done this

Empty it, clean it, heat up an old butter knife with a torch, and spread melted plastic on and around the hole(s).
Agreed, you can also use black zip ties for extra material. and make a flat tip for a soldering iron, use an old nail or something.

What make mower, surely you can source one locally and avoid the freight charges ?
There are lots of lawn and garden repair centres around.
And don't call you Shirley.

What make mower, surely you can source one locally and avoid the freight charges ?
There are lots of lawn and garden repair centres around.
And don't call you Shirley.
I've had problems sourcing Ryobi and Milwaukee parts locally. Shipping to Canada sucks.

Holes are on the curved edge and about 2 inches of chew marks but only 2 elongated holes I can only see the tank buy looking up Briggs and Stratton engine not MTD Gold mower. They make 2 identical looking tanks but sometimes different

My snow blower tank cracked a few years ago. A new replacement was more than I was willing to pay.
I ended up finding a used one from a guy on FB selling snow blower parts etc. (I think he did small engine repair). Cost me $15 vs $80+

Its slightly smaller capacity but it mounts the same as the original one.

You may try the same route. Look for small engine repair ads on FB or Kijiji and ask if they would have a tank for sale. Send them a picture as I'm sure it will help.

Last edited:
+1 on soldering iron fix.

+1 on soldering iron fix.
I took my cracked tank to a buddy who own a body shop.
His body man tried to plastic weld it like they weld plastic bumpers.
Looked good but it did not hold over time.

Not saying it won't work but I didn't have great success. Maybe the fuel residue didn't allow the plastics to mend together well.

This is a trick we used to use on plastic sled tanks. It's cheap and worth a try but alas no guarantees.

I took my cracked tank to a buddy who own a body shop.
His body man tried to plastic weld it like they weld plastic bumpers.
Looked good but it did not hold over time.

Not saying it won't work but I didn't have great success. Maybe the fuel residue didn't allow the plastics to mend together well.
Every material, plastic, metals wood has a different welding / gluing repair expectancy. Vibrations and shocks are the real tests.

Back
Top Bottom