Pickle Lake run Friday June 26th | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pickle Lake run Friday June 26th

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Thought I would separate this out.

I was concerned about fuel on 599 but here is a ride report.

I'm pretty inclined to do this and leave Friday very early as well.

I know I can do Sault Ste Marie in daylight without too much issue and there are a couple motels I can pay on points just on the way in. I;'ll stick with the majors as they likely have a bit better cleaning practices.

Howard Johnson by Wyndham Sault Ste Marie ON - ground floor

Then start early on Saturday as soon as drugs kick in.

Road surface looks fine and I think lots of pull offs.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at Jun, 24    2020    7.54.52 PM.jpg

I think accommodations in Pickle Lake might be an issue. Checking now.

Guess I'm going ..this looks very nice ....

But maybe not to Pickle Lake :( Place I wanted was booked up for travellers ....only taking longer stays.

But Winston Motor Hotel comes through
and it's got a restaurant.

Last edited:
Cool, that is a place I have been interested in visiting once I found out it was the farthest north in Ontario you could get via normal roads.

How many days you planning? Do they sell pickles there? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I booked three nights travel ....650 km a day then leaving the rest to how I feel ....plan is to come back across 11 and I figure mid week should not be too busy. I have no "have to be back by" .... still it's a 4,000 km loop. Have to really nurse my hands.
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at Jun, 25    2020    5.23.04 AM.jpg

Being indecisive about jacket but the stoopid temps forecast even up to 35!!!! in Kapuskasing going across 11 says summer jacket and liner.
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at Jun, 25    2020    5.11.24 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Bit chilly this morning but made Parry Sound comfortably - Starbucks is open (y)will need a souvenier hat ....forgot mine :(

Bike feels clumsy - likely packed too much ....out of practice at what to take. Hands okay tho ?

I've been as far north as Savant Lake. Hope to do pickle lake and beyond one day. I had a bear run across the road in front of me on hwy 599 so watch out for that.

I wouldn't put too my confidence in that. It talks of a gas station in Savant Lake, but I don't remember seeing one there. The whole "town" is just a group of about 10 houses. I don't remember any stores or restaurants or motels or services of any kind.
Maybe the gas station is begging a local for $50 worth of fuel from a Jerry can?

Maybe the gas station is begging a local for $50 worth of fuel from a Jerry can?
LOL maybe

maybe the restaurant looks just like an ordinary house and I didn't notice it.

In any case you shouldn't need gas at savant lake. Fill up at ignace and it's 300 kms to pickle lake. I assume whatever madoc is riding can go 300 kms to a tank. Now if there's no gas station in pickle lake, then he's screwed. I do remember seeing a gas station at silver dollar.

I never stopped to check my phone during that portion of my ride, but I strongly suspect there is no cell service along most of hwy 599.

I wouldn't put too my confidence in that. It talks of a gas station in Savant Lake, but I don't remember seeing one there. The whole "town" is just a group of about 10 houses. I don't remember any stores or restaurants or motels or services of any kind.
Yeah and things up North tend to close much earlier then they do in the Big Smoke.

I've done about 4 or 5 round trips (driving, not riding) from Toronto to Pickle Lake, it should be fun MacDoc!

My thoughts:
- There is a lot of the 599 with zero cell reception, if you get in to trouble, you could be waiting a while
- There are lots of moose, bears, wolves, etc. Keep that in mind when choosing your cruising speed
- I have typically seen gas available in Savant Lake, but I wouldn't bank on it

Enjoy and keep us posted!

I should be okay on 300 km but i can fill a gas can
maybe will phone the motel while I have service at the beginning of 599.

thanks for tips.

Tired but okay - was chilly then hot. Met up with the other two riders who are doing it in two days at a very busy - take out/drive thru Tims. Top case lid a handy table ...okay to stand out in the sun and chow down lunch.

Saw a bear well off the highway after the turn to Sault and a deer also well away but it's a reminder.. ?

Fine dining touring style in a pandemic. Smoked oysters and crackers in the hotel room. Actually all I need.
Do need to hit an LCBO for a small Bailey's to make coffee palatable tho the Starbucks was good this morning sitting outside in the sun getting warmed up.

Fog in the morning so later start. 600 km to Red Rock and some scenic riding . Night sky should be terrific tho iffy for northern lights.
aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks
So far it's okay from a "lots of time to listen to audio books" trip. Will be better for scenery tomorrow.

Went out to bike and mosquito size of drone was sizing me up ?

Stage 2 - Red Rock Inn looks every one of its 80 years but a welcome sight.

Nasty fog for 150 km and bloody cold..... another rider said 9 :eek:

Now is upper 20s?
Was 30 in TO today, with some melty humidity, I would gladly switch.

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at Jun, 28    2020    1.31.38 AM.jpg
31 coming up today - gorgeous clear sky but too many lights and too many mosquitos to let eyes adapt.
Pickle Lake,ON
ALERTS IN EFFECT
Heat Warning
Issued at 21:28 Saturday 27 June 2020
A long duration heat event is expected.
Daytime high temperatures in the low to mid thirties with overnight lows near 20 are expected until the end of next week.
Glad I have mesh.

Red Rock Inn last from the past but right now a more effective air conditioner would be nice.

Looking forward to breakfast but wonder how it will be served- tired of Timmies

Last edited:
Savant Lake looks iffy for fuel but fine for Baileys ?

Fueled up last night and tolerated another Timmies meal tho was marginal.

Decent breakfast at the Red Rock Inn and very nice to sit at a table.

Upper teens to leave heading to 30 so will see how I do with light layers ( famous last words ) = had a mild hypothermia in that single digit fog. SHould have put on a layer and the warmer gloves sooner.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom