Options for home internet when you are out of the service area of the big guys | GTAMotorcycle.com

Options for home internet when you are out of the service area of the big guys

Goocati

Site Supporter
I'm moving just outside of Markham where none of the usual suspects provide internet service.

Anyone here have experience with alternate providers? Xplorenet I believe is an option, anyone used them or any other provider in "rural" areas?

I'll check what our church has. They keep running lines past it, but with no connections available.

providers determine service level by postal code
if you post it up, maybe someone will help?

Anything that works on line of sight to a tower works pretty good and is affordable, but reliability suffers in extreme cold or overcast weather. Cell phone technology solutions like the one I have to use now are very reliable, outrageous expensive and bandwidth limits will have you paying huge surcharges over the basic cost. Basically if you want good internet, move to a big city. Anything that relies on telephone wires is not an option because the phone system infrastructure in the remote country does not support it.

Trials, thats the conclusion I'm coming to... if you don't mind, could you give me a description of the package you're using, who is it with and what type of internet usage is typical for you?

basmn, I tried WISP but after careful consideration and location study they said they couldn't provide me with service, topography, sightlines etc. are problems.

Thanks for responding guys.

I live below a hill so I can't get line of sight to anything. Even for the satellite I have a 400 ft cable going to the top of the hill where the dish is. I'm with xplornet and it's OK as it's my only option. Bad weather will degrade the signal and limit your bandwidth. If you are planning on gaming on-line with it, the lag is too great. Supposedly there is a new satellite out that is higher in the sky and has greater speed; that might work for gaming. I unfortunately can't get it as the dish is bigger and due to liability they won't mount it on a roof. Protect your cable if it's on the ground at all, as rodents like to chew it.

I'm moving just outside of Markham where none of the usual suspects provide internet service.

Really, nobody has built there? I don't expect much of RoBellUs but that is still disappointing

Rogers said the same thing to me "soon"....this was in 2005.

Xplornet is my only option still

They always lie. They just dangle the carrot and hope you wait for them. I was more thinking that the new subdivisions will get automatically serviced and OP's proximity to those lines might be good enough (for Bell at least).

Yes, I've been told by the big providers that they will be servicing the area "soon", as meme has stated he's been waiting 14 yrs.

As far as the urban sprawl reaching the area, you can pretty much see it from the end of the driveway, it's about 2 km away, just not close enough apparently.

B and R both offer cellular based internet but it is big $$$$.

Xplornet suck but is probably your only option we live 2 kms from Cambridge and cant get decent internet only option is xplornet and service is terrible but there is no other options.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Trials, thats the conclusion I'm coming to... if you don't mind, could you give me a description of the package you're using, who is it with and what type of internet usage is typical for you?
Bell high speed cellular, they tie you in to a package deal for like 3 years or something :/ not that it matters because nobody else is going to go out in the woods looking to sell something better. Good for light casual use, useless for streaming video or TV because you would quickly blow over your data limit and be paying hundreds monthly. Only cool thing is highly mobile so you can take it with you anywhere you can get cell reception, like in your travel trailer, camping or whatever. Will even run on it's internal battery for a while.
If you can get unlimited bandwidth at usable speed from any other provider, go with that.

Last edited:
Xplornet suck but is probably your only option we live 2 kms from Cambridge and cant get decent internet only option is xplornet and service is terrible but there is no other options.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Could you give me examples of the service that is terrible, can you stream, browse, e-mail, has my MotoGP package just become useless? The horror, the horror....

Thanks Trials, kind of what I expected, but the mobile part would be cool for camping in the right spot.

Back
Top Bottom