Opinions on best anti-theft items to put on bike for ppl without a private garage parking | GTAMotorcycle.com

Opinions on best anti-theft items to put on bike for ppl without a private garage parking

Phalanx

If someone does not have their own private garage and needs to park the most stolen type bike, a sportbike in for eg, a condo underground parking or apartment building underground parking, the odds are almost certain that it will get stolen

if you were in this predicament, what devices would you use and believe would most likely turn thieves away to 'go look for an easier bike to steal'? (taking into consideration someone can't afford to put every single anti theft device, and wants to stay in reasonable price range)

options my friend and I are looking at and trying to decide which to go for:

-the new scorpio alarm system - $400 not sure about this one, kind of pointless once the thief throws bike in a van as alarm noise wont help at that point. plus they'll just rip it out
-Big chain lock from some reputable company like kryptonite etc $250-$300. (luckily we do have a pole to wrap chain around)
-gps inside bike - monthly cost
-motorcycle cover with no branding

disc locks, front brake lever lock, and these types of things i dont really think will help as if im correct, most thieves either lift the bike or put it on a rolling trolley and throw it in a van

Put a Vstrom sticker on the gas tank.

Get a Sold Secure Gold rated lock. Don’t bother with silver or bronze. It will be heavy and expensive and it won’t be a guarantee of non-theft but these locks are freeze attack proof, pry proof and the most resistant to cutting. I just got an Abus one for my electric kick scooter. Made in Germany..heavy, solid and well made.

You'll need a similarly secure floor or wall anchor too though wherever the bike is kept for long periods. Leave little space for a small jack to get in as that’s one way of defeating locks. Using a nut splitter is another. Some cheap locks can be frozen and fractured.

If they really want it, and are pros, they will take it regardless though.

The Oxford Beast is one of the better moto lock and chain combos. Has an uncommon lock/key design so your typical lock picks won't work. Highly unlikely to be picked as a result. Design (size and material) makes it so it's ultimately easier to cut the chain than the lock.

Chain links are 22mm diameter. So it will take a while to cut through. A decent choice for if you want to leave the lock at the location to be locked and not practical to bring with you. Chain and lock together are ~35 lbs. The lock body alone making up ~1/4 the total weight. Beast is an apt name for the model.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Make sure they have theft insurance. After that, do what you can to make them take someone else's bike (strong chain to anchor, hyosung bike cover, plastidip paint job if they can stomach it etc).

I think the best defense to bike theft is understanding two key factors.

#1. 100% understand that if someone wants something bad enough, they will get it.
#2. Time is a crooks only true enemy

This being said and the fact that the bike can be parked near a post makes your choice obvious.
Big fat chains and locks and the more the better. Also be sure to get written permission for use of the post if you're in a Condo (They can be jerks)
Anything to slow a thief down and/or wear out the battery in their grinder will help keep your bike in your possession.

If someone does not have their own private garage and needs to park the most stolen type bike, a sportbike in for eg, a condo underground parking or apartment building underground parking, the odds are almost certain that it will get stolen

if you were in this predicament, what devices would you use and believe would most likely turn thieves away to 'go look for an easier bike to steal'? (taking into consideration someone can't afford to put every single anti theft device, and wants to stay in reasonable price range)

options my friend and I are looking at and trying to decide which to go for:

-the new scorpio alarm system - $400 not sure about this one, kind of pointless once the thief throws bike in a van as alarm noise wont help at that point. plus they'll just rip it out
-Big chain lock from some reputable company like kryptonite etc $250-$300. (luckily we do have a pole to wrap chain around)
-gps inside bike - monthly cost
-motorcycle cover with no branding

disc locks, front brake lever lock, and these types of things i dont really think will help as if im correct, most thieves either lift the bike or put it on a rolling trolley and throw it in a van

Who is going to mess with 4 big guys with chains and hammers trying to steal a bike that is wailing?? I often thought I would, but as I cool down, I realize it's not worth potentially losing my life over...

I got my bike stolen this year... Never going to get one again untill I sort out the storage situation. I started a thread a while back asking if any condo owners were in on getting a large storage spot at a storage mart.. nothing happened...but this is the ONLY way I see that works in preventing bikes from getting picked up

Who is going to mess with 4 big guys with chains and hammers trying to steal a bike that is wailing?? ...
An enraged motorcycle owner who is armed to the teeth and has been diagnosed palliative :unsure:

And some duct tape on the seat!

If you put a milk crate as a top box then people will mistake it for a KLR.
Ya my friend did that on his KLR. Only problem with that is thieves damaged his rack when they stole the milk crate.

Strategically placed poop smears.
Seat, hand grips especially.
You probably still lose your bike, you just have the satisfaction of knowing you covered the (*&(*&&* in s(*&(*&. On a similar note, you could probably rig up some sort of smoke bomb on a prox sensor so if your bike leaves the garage without you, it fills the vehicle it is in with smoke. Hot smoke would probably get you a criminal charge for laying a trap but cold smoke (fire extinguisher?) should be legally safe.

'Buddy in Guelph had a KLR stolen out of his driveway... Months later OPP contacts him to let him know it was found during a meth lab raid out Stratford way...

Who steals KLRs...?

Meth heads steal KLRs

Was it also returned in better condition than when it was stolen? Some KLR owners I know take pride in the battle worn condition of their rides.

Was it also returned in better condition than when it was stolen? Some KLR owners I know take pride in the battle worn condition of their rides.

No... It was pretty trashed. Well, more trashed than when it was taken Lol
Saddest thing was, at the time of the theft the bike was just parked and uninsured so my friend was on the hook for the tow/impound fees which of course... Added up to probably more than the bike was worth.
There we stood in the impound yard while my friend added up the cost of the trailer rental, the ratchet straps he had to buy and the impound fee, all compared to the value of a 10 plus year old KLR with a billion miles on it....
Being the sentimental type.. Reason and logic was thrown to the cold February wind, the impound ransom paid and the bike loaded onto the trailer for it's journey home...

1. Move.
2. Have a bike that is so undesirable that the thieves don't want it and is so cheap that if they do, no great loss. Save having something nice until after you move.

If you dont have a garage, the only thing you can do it make it less visible and/or throw as many hurdles/obstacles and inconveniences for the thief to jump as possible.

If its under cover, hard to get to, chained and anchored to concrete at 3 different points and is under motion sensor activated High def cameras
it will be hard to steal, though not impossible

And as always, get theft coverage

Reactions: J_F

Back
Top Bottom