Opinions on best anti-theft items to put on bike for ppl without a private garage parking | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Opinions on best anti-theft items to put on bike for ppl without a private garage parking

A coat of bright pink paint?

That reminds me. I've known more than one person living downtown in a condo to rent a small storage unit to store their bike as a garage. It was never allowed. All storage units like these have no vehicle stipulations likely due to fire risk. And even though they were never caught because they were low key going in and out, they gave up on it pretty quickly considering the cost and the inconvenience of having to drive back and forth to the unit to get the bike.

If it's inconvenient enough to have to go back up to ones condo unit to say store and retrieve the cover, leaving and returning respectively which I totally agree with, I can see how having to drive to the storage unit would suck.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
There are storage units that advertise indoor parking for Motorcycles. A quick search in Google pointed me to Access Storage. Don't know what their terms and conditions are... which other ones did the folks you knew use?

There are storage units that advertise indoor parking for Motorcycles. A quick search in Google pointed me to Access Storage. Don't know what their terms and conditions are... which other ones did the folks you knew use?

yes but lots of ppl don't want to use storage facilities.

think about it.

-you feel like riding your bike
-yyou have to get in your car drive 30~ mins to storage place
-park your car
-get your motorc;ycle out of storage
-now you can begin riding your bike where you want
-you're done riding your bike and tired
-but now you remember you cant just drive home and park
-you drive your bike back to storage
-put it in storage and get back in your car
-leave storage place in car and start on your way home

yes but lots of ppl don't want to use storage facilities.

think about it.

-you feel like riding your bike
-yyou have to get in your car drive 30~ mins to storage place
-park your car
-get your motorc;ycle out of storage
-now you can begin riding your bike where you want
-you're done riding your bike and tired
-but now you remember you cant just drive home and park
-you drive your bike back to storage
-put it in storage and get back in your car
-leave storage place in car and start on your way home
Option 1 is go to get on bike find it gone waste all day dealing the police then take the car where you were planning on going.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

For those that think a pager/tracker is going to help them. If the thieves have a little foresight, jammers are down to <$200 now. Sure they're illegal to use, but we're talking about bike thieves here, obviously the law isn't their top priority.

"Large-scale coverage of 100-250 square meters (-75dBm, indoor transparent environment, depending on the distance of surrounding base stations).​
2. High-power 30W (single-channel 3-5W) effectively shields 3 networks 2G 3G 4G 5G mobile phone signal and WIFI signal."

Or if they want something even more portable, this one fits in a big pocket and is battery powered.

Block Range: 1~20 meters, depend on the signal strength
Built-in Li-battery: 3500mA
Working Time: 2-3hours
Block Signal: CDMA/GSM/DCS/2G/3G/4G/WIFI/GPS/BD
Dimension: 13x8x3.6cm
Weight: 0.95KG

For those that think a pager/tracker is going to help them. If the thieves have a little foresight, jammers are down to <$200 now. Sure they're illegal to use, but we're talking about bike thieves here, obviously the law isn't their top priority.

"Large-scale coverage of 100-250 square meters (-75dBm, indoor transparent environment, depending on the distance of surrounding base stations).​
2. High-power 30W (single-channel 3-5W) effectively shields 3 networks 2G 3G 4G 5G mobile phone signal and WIFI signal."

Or if they want something even more portable, this one fits in a big pocket and is battery powered.

Block Range: 1~20 meters, depend on the signal strength
Built-in Li-battery: 3500mA
Working Time: 2-3hours
Block Signal: CDMA/GSM/DCS/2G/3G/4G/WIFI/GPS/BD
Dimension: 13x8x3.6cm
Weight: 0.95KG
I’d take my chances with a GPS. BTW getting caught with electronic jammers will get you in more trouble then Stealing a bike or a car.

If your bike is at high risk of being stolen, I’m willing to bet a gps will give you a decent chance of recovering it. All the other options just slow the guys down and will not stop them if they want it. Sure a GPS won’t stop them but consider the following.

I’ve heard more stories about bikes being recovered with GPS in one piece shortly after it was taken, then found trashed at the hands of a stunter or meth heads months or years later.

BTW insurance companies won’t release statistics on recovered vehicles after the claim is settled, because after the payout has been issued no one but police know where and who the stolen bikes were recovered from. Unless you had no insurance you will get it back in whatever condition they last guy left it in, if police can identify it at all.

Other then being shipped out of the country which is the favoured choice with the organized scum bags, most are riden by junkies that crash them most of the time. The others are stunters not caring about how much they abuse the bike while making videos on city streets or back lots for likes. Lastly the chop shops that strip the hot bikes down to rebuild damaged or trashed bikes to flip on kijij and FB market place. I’m not even going to bother with race bikes, that one is pretty obvious.

There plenty of documented reports of MTO staff getting caught in stings where they assist crime rings with stolen cars, so its not a stretch to think they probably change VIN’s on bikes for a few extra bucks. At best there are known loopholes on how to get legit ownerships for a bike with an altered VIN.

At this point unless it’s pre 2000 ducati, BMW HP4 or MV your better off throwing it in a container and getting some quick cash.

I have lost my faith in stand alone chain and disk locks after seeing this video.

BTW getting caught with electronic jammers will get you in more trouble then Stealing a bike or a car.
Will it? What charges? Burglary tools? Presumably ISED may issue you a fine for prohibited broadcasting (but I'm not sure if they can do that on mere presence of a device or if they have to actually catch you broadcasting).

Will it? What charges? Burglary tools? Presumably ISED may issue you a fine for prohibited broadcasting (but I'm not sure if they can do that on mere presence of a device or if they have to actually catch you fi
Fine up to $5000 and or 1 year imprisonment. Radio communication act. Importing, possessing and a few other things. I’m just speculating, it’s worse but I can be wrong. I’m sure driving and even walking around with one will raise plenty of flags. Don’t doubt you will be on the radar just getting caught with one.

You need to put the entire bike into a large yellow container conspicuously marked
Danger !
Biohazard Materials - Radiation Warning - contents may cause flesh eating disease.
That should do it if they can read,
for the rest you will need to add some graphic pictures and bad smells. Maybe leave something dead in there too.

Honestly, no way to sneak it into your unit? Do it at 3am, or book the cargo elevator, cover the bike and dolly the bike into your unit. You also get to wrench on it without freezing your fingers off. Reverse this procedure at the start of the season. As long as you don't start up the bike, you should be good.

Honestly, no way to sneak it into your unit? Do it at 3am, or book the cargo elevator, cover the bike and dolly the bike into your unit. You also get to wrench on it without freezing your fingers off. Reverse this procedure at the start of the season. As long as you don't start up the bike, you should be good.
Insurance issues. If management enters your unit for some other reason, it will be a rough ride. I would just use a storage unit over the winter. Safe and secure (or leave it in the garage and hope the bike thieves are hibernating).

Back
Top Bottom