Opinions/Info re: 2011/2012 Hyundai Tuscon GL/GLS? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Opinions/Info re: 2011/2012 Hyundai Tuscon GL/GLS?

Jenerator

Older than dirt.
Site Supporter
Am considering one of these as my next vehicle...anyone have any input (or work for Hyundai)? :)

I love the styling. Got an Elantra, that's all

I'm in the same boat. Checked them out. Dealers are ******** and won't budge on pricing... Also looking at Nissan Rouge 2012/Ford Escape 2013. Haven't decided yet. Letme know what you get, why and what pricing you got.

I don't think its published on the web yet, but in Car and Driver comparison test, the Tucson finished DEAD LAST in the comparo of around 6-8 miniSUVs.

That speaks volumes.

Try a Mazda CX5. It handles sweetly and has an available manual tranny. Also gets exceptional gas mileage and will be built better than the Hyundai.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-mazda-cx-5-touring-awd-test-review

CR-V is another good choice.

Last edited:
Personally I liked the Santa Fe better and there were better discounts available for it (~6K off, ended up ~1.5K more than Tucson). If I was buying new, the Santa Fe was the clear favorite (and you could get a manual transmission), but I was able to get an amazing deal on a 2006 Santa Fe (the last year of the jellybean model). So far (8000 km put on it) we are happy with our choice. Is there a reason you like the Tucson more than the Santa Fe?

I drove a new(ish) pilot on the weekend and it is clearly much nicer, but for ~$35,000 more, it damn well should be.

Personally, I had a pretty crappy experience with hyundai. I know people say "oh they've come a long way" but I'd still look else where after my ordeal with an '03 Elantra.

I used to be a Hyundai tech.

1, They are a lot better then they used to be.
2, they have a good warrenty, if you are going to keep it get the extended warrenty. The ex war is great and keeps u coovered.
3, dont keep it after the war

Thanks for the input, guys...my other choice is the Nissan Juke. I'm a sucker for a neat-looking design. :)

Like Zeniceguy, I work at Hyundai currently. Tucson is a great choice, most of the work I did to that car was service work (not warranty). Stay away from the old Santa Fe (not the newest one) ugh...

Personally if you are in the market for a new small SUV, I'd go for the Nissan Rogue. Reliability has come first right?

Ugh...after testing car after car I ended up going with the 2012 Rogue because it had everything I wanted, including the colour, and it was actually the last one (with those features) on the lot. They're being scooped up quick! Thanks all for the input. Can always count on opinions/help here. :)

Ugh...after testing car after car I ended up going with the 2012 Rogue because it had everything I wanted, including the colour, and it was actually the last one (with those features) on the lot. They're being scooped up quick! Thanks all for the input. Can always count on opinions/help here. :)

There is a totally redesigned Rogue coming for '13 so Nissan is blowing the current model off the lots.

What else did you try and what didnt you like about them?

What else did you try and what didnt you like about them?

I had a feeling that question might come up...

Hyundai Tuscon - Nice vehicle, though to get the nav and backup camera would have had to go with leather seats. No.

Hyundai Elantra GT - almost went with this one, except to get the nav and backup camera meant leather seating. NO. Otherwise I wasn't entirely sure the driver's seat of this "cheap" a car would still be comfortable for the long distances I'll be driving for my new job.

Hyundai Veloster - I really like the styling of this car, but the 3 door situation (one door on the left side, two on the right) weirded me out a bit. Otherwise, again, the seating for long distances would have been a concern. Otherwise, a pretty cool car.

Honda CR-V - I was considering getting one of these in AWD today, but they didn't have the colour I wanted and putting nav and camera in would have been extra. Otherwise a real decent drive.

Ford Focus hatch - not bad, though again lower-end seat and really not enough get-up-and-go for me. The model I tried had leather seats...ugh. I don't know how anyone can live with these.

I didn't bother with the Juke, as I'm not about to drive a car that REQUIRES high octane gas.

Back
Top Bottom