Oakville woman charged in 2014 motorcycle death | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oakville woman charged in 2014 motorcycle death

Da ****? Wonder who shes sucking off to get away with that kiss on the wrists

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, no one. It's almost so common it's laughable....if it wasn't so sad...istic to everyone else.

Can a moderator move this to another forum if comments other than condolences are to be made.

What an unbelievable and ridiculously lenient punishment for taking someones life.

RIP rider.

500 ****ing dollars, is this supposed to be a joke?? I had to pay more when I topped out my 250 and got stunting, even though the charge was reduced to speeding.

Wow, that is ridiculous. She commits what is basically manslaughter and gets a $500 fine and some demerit points?!? :banghead:

When I was in college an older lady made in left front of my motorcycle riding classmate. Dude wasn't even speeding. Died on the scene. She got a $90 fine for improper left turn.

When I was in college an older lady made in left front of my motorcycle riding classmate. Dude wasn't even speeding. Died on the scene. She got a $90 fine for improper left turn.

Honest mistakes happen. We've all made them, thankfully nobody noticed. These fines add insult to our injury. Maybe everybody involved in an accident needs to re-establish their right to drive thru intense examination?

Drivers make mistakes .... If these guys had been driving SUVs it'd be just another fender bender. The law isn't going to excessively punish them because we choose the riskiest form of transportation. There's no reckless criminality on their part ... speeding, alcohol, texting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
but shouldn't the resulting death play a part in the punishment? You don't mean to kill someone, but if you do it's manslaughter, not assault. Usually a death changes the charge.

but shouldn't the resulting death play a part in the punishment? You don't mean to kill someone, but if you do it's manslaughter, not assault. Usually a death changes the charge.

It's only manslaughter if you unintentionally cause death as a result of committing a criminal wrong. Unless your driving pattern over a sustained period of time immediately before a crash is overtly out of the norm to such a degree that it can be described as being dangerous or criminally negligent or impaired, it is very difficult to prove a crash was the result of criminal driving behaviour.

In this case, there were several witnesses who remained to give statements to the police. On review of those statements, she was charged not with dangerous driving or criminal negligence causing death, and not even with careless driving. That suggests that from the police and witness points of view, she was driving normally and acceptably aside from making a left turn in front of an approaching vehicle. According to some witnesses at the time, the motorcycle may have contributed to the crash by running a stale amber light.

She was charged with making an unsafe turn. Ordinarily that would result in a simple POA ticket with a set fine which she could pay out of court. Because of the death, she did not get that option but instead got a summons compelling her to appear in court at which point she pled guilty. Instead of paying the set fine of $85 plus victim surcharge, she was fined the maximum of $500 plus victim surcharge. That's over 5 times the usual penalty, because of the death, so the death did in fact play a part in the punishment.

This may still seem like a paltry amount considering someone was killed, but you punish for criminal intent, criminal act, or criminal degrees of negligence. This crash had none of that. Not seeing or misjudging the speed of an approaching vehicle and then making a left turn in front of it, in absence of overtly criminal driving behaviour at and immediately before the time, is an unfortunate but simple mistake that usually just results in angry blowing of horns and the occasional fender bender. EVERYONE makes those kinds of driving mistakes from time to time.

A given act or mistake is either criminal or it is not, irregardless of outcome. If a given mistake in absence of death or injury is not worthy of criminal charges or penalties, then neither should that same act incur criminal charges or penalties when someone is hurt or killed for that mistake.

Last edited:
+1 well said ^

All I know is that I just saw on cp24 that some guy got 12 months in jail because he was waving his junk at his window at underage girls that were walking by his house. Not a $500 fine.
That being said, like earlier posts stated, we choose to ride. Not that I wish it upon anyone, but I can think of many worse ways to die.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

All I know is that I just saw on cp24 that some guy got 12 months in jail because he was waving his junk at his window at underage girls that were walking by his house. Not a $500 fine.
That being said, like earlier posts stated, we choose to ride. Not that I wish it upon anyone, but I can think of many worse ways to die.

How much under age? Did anybody check ID? What is the age cut off on that anyway?

How much under age? Did anybody check ID? What is the age cut off on that anyway?
Doing research? Lol!

Back
Top Bottom