Not Liking This | GTAMotorcycle.com

Not Liking This

So, just to be clear for anyone who might be scared by this thread. Google/Apply didn't add a tracker to your phone. They added a service that allows such apps to work.

For example, if you will go Settings-> Google on Android device and then click on "COVID-19 notifications" then you will notice that it clearly says that you need to install a special app for it to work..

And just to make clear, the phones were already capturing this info (Bluetooth signatures/wifi network ids/geo locations/etc). Google/Apple just added the ability for special pre-approved apps to "consume" this information and provide notifications/other stuff.

I'm not saying that your phone is not spying on you (it does) but it's kind of "ok"..

Last edited:
i'm not a big tech person, but any kind of invasion of my info bothers me. i know there's lots of info that's out of my control but the way company's are going about sucking it out without having consent is the part i don't agree with

Contact-tracing is a necessary part of stomping out this virus. If you want to go to a Raptors game, or a Leafs game, or go to the cinema, or eat inside a restaurant, at any time in the foreseeable future, contact-tracing is necessary. If a phone app helps with that ... great.

If you are really concerned about how much your phone, or Apple, or Google, or facebook, etc know about you, throw your smartphone in the garbage and don't replace it. The contact-tracing app is the least of your worries. Your phone already knows your travels. If you pay bills with your phone, it knows what you've bought and where. It ALREADY knows. The extra contact-tracing bit is irrelevant from that perspective. All it does is keep tabs on what other smartphones it has been near, and remember that for a while (a couple of weeks), and flag you if one of those smartphones that your smartphone has been near is tied to someone that tests positive. Supposedly it's doing this with anonymized tags so that the contact isn't actually traceable to an individual's name and address. But we have to trust the software developers that this is how it actually works.

You put faith in software developers every time your phone is switched on. If a malicious software developer wants to broadcast your location without you knowing it, they already can. If you don't allow an app to use your location, how do you know it doesn't when you tell it not to? You don't. If you don't allow an app to access your contact list, how do you know it doesn't? You don't.

Throw away your smartphone if you can't deal with this, and don't replace it.

For the rest of us ... functional contact tracing should bring the date closer when we can go to a Raptors game, or Leafs game, or the cinema, or whatever ... and maybe save some lives in the process.

I ain't worried about the contact-tracing apps.

Contact-tracing is a necessary part of stomping out this virus. If you want to go to a Raptors game, or a Leafs game, or go to the cinema, or eat inside a restaurant, at any time in the foreseeable future, contact-tracing is necessary. If a phone app helps with that ... great.

If you are really concerned about how much your phone, or Apple, or Google, or facebook, etc know about you, throw your smartphone in the garbage and don't replace it. The contact-tracing app is the least of your worries. Your phone already knows your travels. If you pay bills with your phone, it knows what you've bought and where. It ALREADY knows. The extra contact-tracing bit is irrelevant from that perspective. All it does is keep tabs on what other smartphones it has been near, and remember that for a while (a couple of weeks), and flag you if one of those smartphones that your smartphone has been near is tied to someone that tests positive. Supposedly it's doing this with anonymized tags so that the contact isn't actually traceable to an individual's name and address. But we have to trust the software developers that this is how it actually works.

You put faith in software developers every time your phone is switched on. If a malicious software developer wants to broadcast your location without you knowing it, they already can. If you don't allow an app to use your location, how do you know it doesn't when you tell it not to? You don't. If you don't allow an app to access your contact list, how do you know it doesn't? You don't.

For the rest of us ... functional contact tracing should bring the date closer when we can go to a Raptors game, or Leafs game, or the cinema, or whatever ... and maybe save some lives in the process.

lots of maybe in your statement, you saying that we will need to have some kind of tracing to be able to travel or live our lives to what used to be normal might and hopefully will never. happen

i'm not a big tech person, but any kind of invasion of my info bothers me. i know there's lots of info that's out of my control but the way company's are going about sucking it out without having consent is the part i don't agree with

Technically, you do have control over it. Don't want to participate? Don't install the app. I'm not sure about iPhones but it's true for Android. Of course, I didn't see the actual code from Google but this is what they claim.

Even with the app, you still can turn off Bluetooth and/or GPS to prevent it from tracking you (I would personally turn off Bluetooth first as this is the primary way for the app to capture "contacts").

Granted, Google is notorious to capture/save some additional information "by mistake" and send it to their servers. However, I don't think that they are trying to invade our privacy in this case..

Don't forget that basically all "cool"/"nice to have" features can be used to track you. Want to see traffic information on your map or get the best route to some destination? Now Google knows where are you going.. Quite often even anonymized data can be traced back to individuals or groups of people if someone really needs it.

I'm personally not very paranoid about this COVID feature. I don't plan to install an app for it and use it atm. However, I do recognize that it can be very helpful for many people.

lots of maybe in your statement, you saying that we will need to have some kind of tracing to be able to travel or live our lives to what used to be normal might and hopefully will never. happen

This virus is too infectious to control without contact-tracing unless society is in lockdown. Right now (here) it's done manually. Sick people have to be quarantined and everyone that they have been in contact with has to be tested and isolated. 2 options (1) don't be in contact with anyone (lockdown), (2) extensive testing and contact-tracing.

I don't have the link to the YouTube video but the guy went on for a while about how much China is up to and they make much of the electronics. All they need to do (And have done) is add a little chip and they become a fly on your wall. A big part was about TikTok.

"The concern is that any data that is stored or processed in China is subject to state-sponsored surveillance. TikTok users around the world are sharing their location data and other behavioral information with the app, and that's why people are concerned. Feb 28, 2020 "

The new world. Computer memory used to be Kb now it's Tb and beyond. With floppy discs you had to purge files to make space. Now memory is so cheap you can keep stuff forever. If you want privacy only communicate in a language only you and the recipient share.

Beware of anything free.

But none of that has anything to do with contact tracing and it can happen regardless of it.

Do you want to ever be able to go to a Raptors game?

I don't care who knows that I am there.

Chances are, a picture will be posted anyhow, giving it away.

I put my phone inside a lead brick and now I don’t get any calls. This is a Bill Gates conspiracy. He wants us all to have 5G enemas. He’s disabled my device so I can only get calls from aliens intent on probing me with COVID.

Also...I ripped the pockets on my jeans...f#@&er.

Whether you like it or not, your privacy and data is being logged. If you have any recent smart device, your data is being harvested. This has been a reality for over a decade now.

If you don't have a cell phone, you're still gonna get harvested by everyone else around you. It's not far from what China is doing (but we've been doing it voluntarily longer than they've forced it down the Chinese.)

Honestly surprised how few ppl know this.

The weirdest one for me was Google Timelines. I've had an android phone since 2011 and didn't find out about it until maybe 2 years ago. If you have your location services on Google automatically creates a timeline of everywhere you have been. Little creepy to go back and see what I was doing on XYZ date almost a decade ago now.

There is no phone app preinstalled for it or really any obvious notification Google is doing this in the background. I believe the only way you can open your timeline is on a desktop version of google maps and finding it through the sidebar.

The weirdest one for me was Google Timelines. I've had an android phone since 2011 and didn't find out about it until maybe 2 years ago. If you have your location services on Google automatically creates a timeline of everywhere you have been. Little creepy to go back and see what I was doing on XYZ date almost a decade ago now.

There is no phone app preinstalled for it or really any obvious notification Google is doing this in the background. I believe the only way you can open your timeline is on a desktop version of google maps and finding it through the sidebar.
That recently got updated so by default after ~18 months, that history gets purged.

I use it all the time, I like that feature. I tend to get intentionally lost when I ride and I like to see where I was especially if I found nice roads and want to map out a future route.

Can also be handy if your whereabouts at a certain time come into question, or could be bad for the same reason lol.

Back
Top Bottom