not exactly motorcycle related...but nonetheless need your help... | GTAMotorcycle.com

not exactly motorcycle related...but nonetheless need your help...

silvrsurfr

for the life of me, i cannot find the name of the 'ombudsman' office you go to when you want to contest a used car purchase.

Story is, and ya my friends a maron but meh..what can you do....
He bought a used car. Apparently it was certified but he never did bring it to his own mechanic for a once over.

The other day he found out his tranny didn't have any fluid in it. Needless to say his tranny is shot.

He went back to dealer but they ain't taking the car back nor giving his money back or switch to anothrt car.

What is or where is that office you can lodge a complaint to in an attempt to get his money back or another car. I remember from years ago there was a place you could goto but for the life of me I can't remember nor can I find it on google.

Can anyone here shed some light on this?

Yeah my friend should have did a once over with his mechanic but at the same time doesn't getting a 'certified' car mean you can reasonably expect the fluids to be topped up?

Thanks

as far as I know any car sale in Ontario is final.

for the life of me, i cannot find the name of the 'ombudsman' office you go to when you want to contest a used car purchase.

Story is, and ya my friends a maron but meh..what can you do....
He bought a used car. Apparently it was certified but he never did bring it to his own mechanic for a once over.

The other day he found out his tranny didn't have any fluid in it. Needless to say his tranny is shot.

He went back to dealer but they ain't taking the car back nor giving his money back or switch to anothrt car.

What is or where is that office you can lodge a complaint to in an attempt to get his money back or another car. I remember from years ago there was a place you could goto but for the life of me I can't remember nor can I find it on google.

Can anyone here shed some light on this?

Yeah my friend should have did a once over with his mechanic but at the same time doesn't getting a 'certified' car mean you can reasonably expect the fluids to be topped up?

Thanks

"Certified" - as in like "Kia Certified used" or "Mazda Certified" Used? sorry, cant help with the Ombudsman Question

You are thinking of OMVIC, you can usually file a complaint with them but they probably won't do much in your friend's case.
All used car sales are final once the bill of sale is signed unless the dealer broke any legal obligations.
Certification has nothing to do with your transmission or "fluid" levels, unless there's a leak in your power steering, or an oil leak that's dripping on your exhaust causing fumes/smoke.

I would say your friend is SOL, how long ago did he buy the car?

http://www.omvic.on.ca/

Hope this helps, friend of mine went through a dispute with a dealer a couple of years ago.

Thanks

I think it was OMVIC that I was looking for. Appreciate the help.

He bought the car about 30days ago.

Your "friend" is a special kind of stupid :lmao:

Fluids being topped up is not part of a safety.
true, however when a dealership sells a car certified and e-tested they have a obligation to the car being in good repair, its different than a private sale.
if you buy a used car that is certified i believe you have a 90 day warranty regardless of it being implied or not.

outside of that, if you buy a extended warranty from the ame dealer, and you are covered say 2 yrs down the road and you make a complaint about the tranny slipping to THEIR shop.. they say its fine.. tranny blows. they are liable for the repair costs outside of what the warranty will cover (some have a 2grand cap)

http://www.omvic.on.ca/services/consumers/file_complaint_info.htm

I would call the shop one more time, and then tell them 'no problem, I'll let OMVIC deal with it'. If they're reputable in any way shape or form, they will take this seriously as it's a pretty big deal if OMVIC gets involved. Then call OMVIC and explain the situation to see what the next steps are. A car from a dealership is implied to be in working order, a drained and shot transmission are NOT working order. Also, did he not notice anything during the test drive? And if your buddy has plenty of time on his hands, tell him to write to a paper about the experience, they may take on the story, and too bad 'Silverman Helps' is no longer around.

true, however when a dealership sells a car certified and e-tested they have a obligation to the car being in good repair, its different than a private sale.
if you buy a used car that is certified i believe you have a 90 day warranty regardless of it being implied or not.

outside of that, if you buy a extended warranty from the ame dealer, and you are covered say 2 yrs down the road and you make a complaint about the tranny slipping to THEIR shop.. they say its fine.. tranny blows. they are liable for the repair costs outside of what the warranty will cover (some have a 2grand cap)

I complained to Subaru Brampton that I discovered the brake rotors were warped after 3 days of owning the thing (never braked hard until day 3, still kind of noticed it but not very much until I did some harder braking). Told them after 5 days, I think. They told me since it doesn't affect safe operation of the vehicle they would not cover it. Then they accused me of taking it to the track in the first 5 days of ownership. Cost me $600 for new rotors a week after buying the car.

Extended warranties from a third party aren't worth the paper they are written on. They have teams of people who look for loopholes on how to NOT pay you to fix your car. I've seen it done to too many people, and unfortunately I worked in a car dealership for a while and once had to tell a client... 'I'm sorry, warranty says engine is covered, but thermostat isn't...broken thermostat allowed the engine to overheat and is now not covered'. The guy called OMVIC and the shady dealer where he bought (not our dealership) got charged and had to take the car back. This was years ago though.

VW (at least certain dealers) makes you sign an OMVIC release when buying a car saying you give up your right to OMVIC protection or something like that. Shady. I think BMW and some others do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom