Northern Roads - Sand and Road Conditions 2021 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Northern Roads - Sand and Road Conditions 2021

Post up any overall road conditions here for the nicer roads up north.

Anyone been up to the 518 yet?

Is Elephant Lake Road any better than last year?

Is Southwood being officially renamed to Sandwood Rd 13?
Get your early season drifting in to make sure your skills are sharp for later in the year when you catch the occasional patch or sand/cut grass.

Went out today to get some fresh Muskoka air in me.

Coopers Falls / Houseys Rapids - very sandy in the twisty bits. Skip it for now.
Falkenburg - sand in the twisty bits, but still rideable
Brackenrig - awesome
Hwy 141 - awesome
Aspdin / Muskoka Rd 3 - awesome
Etwell / Hoodstown / Ravenscliffe - sandy in the twisty bits, but still rideable
Hwy 520 - awesome
Bunny Trail - tiny bits of sand, but still really fun - will be great in a few more weeks
McDougall/Hurdville - flawless
Hwy 518 - way too sandy in the tighter corners to really enjoy it, but still rideable in the tire tracks - could use another month or two.
Swords Rd - awesome and flawless
Foreman / Mortimers Point - pretty good shape and very little sand
Peninsula / 632 - awesome
Muskoka Rd 38 - awesome

Went out today to get some fresh Muskoka air in me.

Coopers Falls / Houseys Rapids - very sandy in the twisty bits. Skip it for now.
Falkenburg - sand in the twisty bits, but still rideable
Brackenrig - awesome
Hwy 141 - awesome
Aspdin / Muskoka Rd 3 - awesome
Etwell / Hoodstown / Ravenscliffe - sandy in the twisty bits, but still rideable
Hwy 520 - awesome
Bunny Trail - tiny bits of sand, but still really fun - will be great in a few more weeks
McDougall/Hurdville - flawless
Hwy 518 - way too sandy in the tighter corners to really enjoy it, but still rideable in the tire tracks - could use another month or two.
Swords Rd - awesome and flawless
Foreman / Mortimers Point - pretty good shape and very little sand
Peninsula / 632 - awesome
Muskoka Rd 38 - awesome
Thank you. You are the best.

Hi @shanekingsley
What do you think of the below loop? I'm planning to head out sometime this week for a short ride (<500 km). The return is via 401 but I figured it might work as I would to get back home before it's dark.

Also, are there places open for washroom breaks? I guess it's better to use toilets if possible.Screenshot1.jpg

Hi @shanekingsley
What do you think of the below loop? I'm planning to head out sometime this week for a short ride (<500 km). The return is via 401 but I figured it might work as I would to get back home before it's dark.

Also, are there places open for washroom breaks? I guess it's better to use toilets if possible.View attachment 48225
If you really want to keep your time under 500km, then it's going to limit your options if you are trying to get a 507 run in at the same time.

In this route below, I've added a sweet causeway near Kirkfield, which is really neat with water on both sides of you. I've also taken you up along #2 Deep Bay Road to Minden - it may have some light construction on Deep Bay Road, so let us know what the road conditions are like on it. There are gas stations and fast food places in Minden where you should be able to find an open washroom. Then on your way up to Haliburton I've routed you past the Minden Wild Water Preserve - usually there is a portable toilet there if you want and it's a great stop for a quick break by the rapids. Then take Glamorgan Road #3 south to Gooderham, and then the #507 south. Once in Buckhorn you can head home like you originally planned or make a quick side trip east to Northey's Bay Road which is quite nice. All these things add around 30minutes onto your trip, but at least it makes it more interesting, keeps it under 500km and gives you some more options if you want to include any of them.

You should also be able to find gas/washrooms in Haliburton & Peterborough.
Have a great ride!

1618925934275.png

Last edited:
If you really want to keep your time under 500km, then it's going to limit your options if you are trying to get a 507 run in at the same time.

In this route below, I've added a sweet causeway near Kirkfield, which is really neat with water on both sides of you. I've also taken you up along #2 Deep Bay Road to Minden - it may have some light construction on Deep Bay Road, so let us know what the road conditions are like on it. There are gas stations and fast food places in Minden where you should be able to find an open washroom. Then on your way up to Haliburton I've routed you past the Minden Wild Water Preserve - usually there is a portable toilet there if you want and it's a great stop for a quick break by the rapids. Then take Glamorgan Road #3 south to Gooderham, and then the #507 south. Once in Buckhorn you can head home like you originally planned or make a quick side trip east to Northey's Bay Road which is quite nice. All these things add around 30minutes onto your trip, but at least it makes it more interesting, keeps it under 500km and gives you some more options if you want to include any of them.

You should also be able to find gas/washrooms in Haliburton & Peterborough.
Have a great ride!

Thanks Shane :) Much appreciate it!

Maybe don't go this weekend

Snow up there this week so there will be tons of sand this weekend

Stay safe!

The washroom might be open at Flynn's Store/Gas. Located north of Buckhorn a the start of the 507.
If you decide to ride the loop. Let us know what is open and especially what washroom are open in the area.

This is 518 at Star Lake Rd today lol. Gonna be a bit getting that fixed.
dbe5e64f2418544553c56bd7ac48aade.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I take it you have ridden on Star Lake Road before? I really liked it.

Can vehicles get around that or have they blocked the whole 518 off right now?

The washroom might be open at Flynn's Store/Gas. Located north of Buckhorn a the start of the 507.
If you decide to ride the loop. Let us know what is open and especially what washroom are open in the area.
Sure I can update here if I'm riding tomorrow.

As luck would have it, while I was finishing off installing a USB charger for my cell phone I dropped one of the bolts from the battery terminal in. It was in a tight spot and I pulled out the easier things but still couldn't really access it. Tried to retrieve it with a small magnet and now a magnet, and a small allen wrench rests with the bolt somewhere in that black hole. Let's see what I can do tomorrow

I take it you have ridden on Star Lake Road before? I really liked it.

Can vehicles get around that or have they blocked the whole 518 off right now?
Actually I don't think I have. Sounds like I need too.
It's not my picture either, shared it from another group lol.

Actually I don't think I have. Sounds like I need too.
It's not my picture either, shared it from another group lol.

Although I haven’t been on it in a few years, I think you will like it. It’s hard packed gravel and goes around a lake with some nice views of the water, a couple nice elevation changes and twisty bits.

Here's the status of a few roads in Haliburton/Peterborough county, as of 23 April:

Highway 35 - Excellent tarmac - I can say that for the stretch of the highway between Minden and Halls Lake.

Deepbay road - Good tarmac, nice tight corners. A little sand at some stretches.

Kushog lake road - Ok tarmac, a bit bumpy but sandy all throughout:

1_PXL_20210423_160108492_1.jpg

Kennissis Lake Road - Excellent tarmac; seems like newly laid.

Eagle Lake Road - Good tarmac, pretty smooth

Haliburton Lake Road - Good tarmac

Haburn Road - Good tarmac. However, this road is sandy for the entire stretch between haliburton lake rd and highway 118

Elephant Lake Road - Good tarmac, frost heaves thrown in here and there

South Baptise Lake Road - Good, clean tarmac

Although I haven’t been on it in a few years, I think you will like it. It’s hard packed gravel and goes around a lake with some nice views of the water, a couple nice elevation changes and twisty bits.
Sweet, I'll check it out for sure. Thanks Shane.

Kennissis Lake Road - Excellent tarmac; seems like newly laid.

Random question, but is all of Kennisis Lake Road paved around both Kennisis Lake and Little Kennisis Lake, as well as Watts Road? Family used to have a cottage up there 20 years ago and it was all gravel or dirt, and never been back there since. If it is paved, I wouldn't mind taking the bike up there one time when I'm already riding up around Haliburton just to see what has changed.

Random question, but is all of Kennisis Lake Road paved around both Kennisis Lake and Little Kennisis Lake, as well as Watts Road? Family used to have a cottage up there 20 years ago and it was all gravel or dirt, and never been back there since. If it is paved, I wouldn't mind taking the bike up there one time when I'm already riding up around Haliburton just to see what has changed.

Yes Kennisis Lake Road is fully paved, including Watts Road as well
Be careful on Watts Rd as the road is very much roller coaster like, and typically has lots of sand and frost heaves. Full attention required on this one and look out for oncoming cottage traffic

Port Severn Tim Hortons in only drive through (you can't walk in and order/ doors are closed) and the Petro Gas is only Diesel and regula ( out of 91 octane and up) . Go to the Esso station across the street 87 to 93 available and clean washroom too.
Lots of bugs, open face helmet not a good idea

Bracebridge McDonald is open for walk in to order and take out ( no indoor dining) washroom is open.

Big Chute - is clear and last year road work/gravel is all paved over
Hwy 38 - 400 to Bala is clear and more fun then I remembered

No rain up there!

Last edited:

Was up on the 518 yesterday, but only the sections east of Sprucedale, and west of Swords Road. One the section east of Sprucedale, it seems like there were two big washouts that have been filled by gravel, so while I don't think you can ride over them, they won't swallow a car anymore. I would guess that if they fixed those two sections, then the one posted near Star Lake Rd should be better now too.

Back
Top Bottom