nob.. question on Helmet locking/ handling | GTAMotorcycle.com

nob.. question on Helmet locking/ handling

ayahsoo

noob.. question on Helmet locking/ handling

Ok, so into my very first week as a rider. Got a 2007 M50 (800CCs)..
Shy of the rider training course, never ridden before.

Got my IICON full face helmet and Jacket with armour.. (snap those things expensive!)

Rode to the gym lastnight and then it hit me "where do I put this helmet??"
Didnt feel like lugging the helmet around in the gym, and while I was planning to do the "Insanity" workout, wearing a motorcycle helmet while on the mats may be perceived as simply "crazy"
I locked the helmet on the locks over the rear wheel, but was wondering if there is a better way to secure this inve$tment.

Could it be locked on the passenger backrest?

Last edited:
I just got my 3rd helmet the other day (I'm a horder apparently), an Icon Alliance. I use the helmet locks in my apartment building, but when I park on the street I generally take it with me.. a friend of mine had his helmet cut off his bike last week. If I really really don't want to take the helmet with me, I use my HJC helmet, because I could care less if that one was stolen.

But back on topic, I'm sure you could buy some sort of aftermarket locking system if you don't feel comfortable with the stock helmet lock. Or buy a crap budget backup helmet to wear to the gym

Hi Tricky. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look for a cheaper helmet for the gym.

Thanks!

Doesn't your gym have lockers? If they aren't big enough ask one of the staff if there's a place where you can leave it.

I don't know where you live but if your helmet locks onto the back of your bike I doubt someone's going to come by to steal it.

When I ride to the gym.. I first put my combo lock through the metal loops on my helmet strap..then I put the lock through the locker hole and lock it. The helmet is secured but hanging outside the locker. I've never had an issue. It's a regular combination lock.

Hi Tricky. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look for a cheaper helmet for the gym.

Thanks!

No worries man. My HJC costs around $60 I think, so I'd much rather it get snatched then my Bell or Icon :D

Eight years later I've never had a helmet stolen off of my bike, nor do I know of any friends who have.

I've seen these used by my friend Matt, or was it snowboard gear lock? I use a coiled bicycle cable to lock gear to my bike when I walk away from it if it's more than the standard helmet.

RS250_red.jpg

Thanks all!

a technical question.. when stopped at a red light, it is reccommended to kick into neutral, or squeeze on the clutch?
I can see why squeezing on the clutch may be scoffed at, since its stress on the cable and the clutch, but as a new rider, I'm trying to have one less thing (kick into 1st) to think about doing, so that I can get moving when the light changes, so I find myself squeezing on the clutch with 1st gear selected.

Neutral.. Now go tighten your clutch and get back to me...

Thanks all!

a technical question.. when stopped at a red light, it is reccommended to kick into neutral, or squeeze on the clutch?
I can see why squeezing on the clutch may be scoffed at, since its stress on the cable and the clutch, but as a new rider, I'm trying to have one less thing (kick into 1st) to think about doing, so that I can get moving when the light changes, so I find myself squeezing on the clutch with 1st gear selected.

Not sure why anyone would scoff at sitting in 1st gear and having your clutch pulled...

In fact that's the safest thing to do, it allows you to engage the 1st gear and move your bike in an emergency.

When it comes down to it, it's personal preference. For me, it depends on how long the light is and how uncomfortable I am. Once in a while, I'll sit in neutral and relax. Other times it's not worth the trouble, and I stay in 1st.

Thanks all!

It's recommended to keep it in first. If it's a long light or railways crossing, I'll pop it into neutral.

Nice! Now I dont feel as if I'm doing something totally wrong.

What I find with riding is, if I think about all the things I need to do to get from point A to point B, I mess it up along the way, BUT if I look out at point B in the distance, and simply focus on getting to where I'm looking, I tend to do all the mechanics (shifting, breaking, moving very slow, moving from a stop, changing gears, turning, etc) seemlessly.
Guess thats where riding becomes 2nd nature over time...

That cable will last for a very long time , no need to worry about wearing it out :)
Thanks all!

Nice! Now I dont feel as if I'm doing something totally wrong.

What I find with riding is, if I think about all the things I need to do to get from point A to point B, I mess it up along the way, BUT if I look out at point B in the distance, and simply focus on getting to where I'm looking, I tend to do all the mechanics (shifting, breaking, moving very slow, moving from a stop, changing gears, turning, etc) seemlessly.
Guess thats where riding becomes 2nd nature over time...

It'll become muscle memory in a week or two, no need to even think about it then, it'll just happen. If you want to get together for some practice riding, give me a shout via pm

Eight years later I've never had a helmet stolen off of my bike, nor do I know of any friends who have.

I've seen these used by my friend Matt, or was it snowboard gear lock? I use a coiled bicycle cable to lock gear to my bike when I walk away from it if it's more than the standard helmet.

RS250_red.jpg

These locks are garbadge. You can cut those with a pair of $1 side cutters. My friend had one that he used for a snowboard and forgot the combo so we wanted to see how easy it was to cut it, a decent pair of scissors could do the job.

Like others have said. It'll be reflex soon enough. New riders are concerned about what gear they're in and what gear they should be in, good riders only use one gear: the right one. Soon it'll all be second nature to you, like breathing.

Thanks all!

sit at lights in first, not just so you can move off with less things to do, but it is safer as if some one is coming up behind you and not stopping you dont have time to get it in first and take off. you have to do more than just pop it in first, you have to take the foot off the brake so you're switching the foot that is holding up the bike, then popping it into first. by this time you could be a hood ornement.

Neutral.. Now go tighten your clutch and get back to me...

bzzzt wrong, sitting in neutral leaves you to being vulnerable to being rear ended. Proper stop position would be right foot on brake (so those behind you know you're stopped), left hand holding in the clutch and right hand ready to apply throttle if needed. if you're putting it in neutral you are probably are not leaving your hands on the handle bars either.

Back
Top Bottom