No Harley Bikes here ..? | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

No Harley Bikes here ..?

@J_F I think that’s just a blurry picture. There’s photos of a Orange display bike that looks pretty production ready. Images of that bike show a chain and sprocket on the left side.

if the production model still has that plank of a seat
it'll be the HD rider sitting on a bag of ice at the end of the day

not sure what your understanding of ADV bikes is
but real ones are not cheap

HD looks to be taking on the GSA with this effort
they better price it several thousand less if they want to sell any
Not sure what your idea of an ADV bike is but the KLR is full blown ADV and as cheap as they come, not to mention that it's the comfy-est bike I've owned (and I owned a Goldwing)

Not sure what your idea of an ADV bike is but the KLR is full blown ADV and as cheap as they come, not to mention that it's the comfy-est bike I've owned (and I owned a Goldwing)

neither of those I'd describe as an ADV

one is a couch with tires

the other is an ancient dual sport that you can put luggage on

one is completely useless off the pavement

the other is not capable of 1,000 km days of spirited riding

After seeing this video, I can't imagine anything quality can come out of HD factory.

How can that bike pass QC when you see that kind of weld?

Video talks exactly why HD is not winning new customers . The ****** mirrors and grips . My 20 RGL came with only one key fob and no saddlebag liner . The turn signals are not LED . Come on HD for a 35k plus bike that is a must .

last one then I gotta find something useful to do

seems to be only real pic of the Pan America
a prototype under testing
the plastics aren't on it yet, that can come later

look at the rear wheel....does that look like a brake on the RHS?
looks to me like a sprocket, or a belt drive

and I can't help it
I just have a strong feeling that a few frames after this pic
something terrible happened :)

eZaaBjp.jpg

LOL. I agree. When I look at that picture I immediately think of the loud "CLANK" that's coming next.

Reactions: J_F
neither of those I'd describe as an ADV

one is a couch with tires

the other is an ancient dual sport that you can put luggage on

one is completely useless off the pavement

the other is not capable of 1,000 km days of spirited riding
Not sure what or where you've been riding but the klr is most certainly widely accepted by the adv crowd as the bike that started it all.
1000 miles of spirited riding sounds much more like a traditional sport touring bike, although many adv touring bikes are very good at it as well.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I bet a small minority of ADV bikes actually make it off the black top .

The KLR is a dual-sport class bike, it's not an adventure bike. Dual Sports emerged about 30 years ago displacing the early 200cc 2 stroke bikes. The KLR was Kawi's answer to Honda's XR650L, Suzuki DR650s, all at the budget friendly end of the category.

Adventure bikes are a newer category, the first entrants showing up around 2004 with BMW GS and Suzuki DL, joined later by Triumph, Honda, Yamaha, Kawi, Ducati, Aprila, KTM (did I miss anybody?) and now HD. They displaced the dual sport category. Adv bikes pack 2-5x the power of the dual sports, they are bigger, faster, designed to go longer without maintenance. They are also a lot more practical for touring on almost anything excepts single track.

Last edited:
Not sure what or where you've been riding but the klr is most certainly widely accepted by the adv crowd as the bike that started it all.
1000 miles of spirited riding sounds much more like a traditional sport touring bike, although many adv touring bikes are very good at it as well.

The KLR wasn't even close to starting it all. The Yamaha's DT and Suzuki's TS200R defined the category, their life shortened by the demise of 2 strokes. The KLR and other 4 stroke dual sports came in at 600+cc for a reason -- they could no longer make 2 strokes for the road AND they needed 600+cc motors to compete with the 200cc 2 strokes.

Whatever. My KLR will do 120 all day long and then get me to camping spots through stuff that big ADV's would gag on.
But yeah your mileage may vary....
"Adventure is just bad planning" Roald Amundsen

Whatever. My KLR will do 120 all day long and then get me to camping spots through stuff that big ADV's would gag on.
But yeah your mileage may vary....
"Adventure is just bad planning" Roald Amundsen
That's what dual sports do -- part road, part dirtbike. Adventure doesn't mean pounding single tracks, it's an all around high performance bike that can handle itself on rough roads and across some tough terrain. Comfortably, quickly, and reliably.

Saddle up your KLR and head to Alaska or the Trans Lab with a GS and/or DL rider. You'll need an extra week of holidays taking a dual sport on an Adv ride.

Kawasaki did release the Tengai in 1988ish, no way is that a dual sport. It's an adv bike by every definition of the word. Then the bmw gs1000 in 1989.
Both long before 2004.
c71965b6e267999007037e431eb54b52.jpg
2123d31ce39c6d622b7b19f43e288db3.jpg

a google image search shows not a single Tengai equipped with touring gear
the GS was a purpose built machine for ADV touring

ADV = multi-day trips
long, big mile days
on paved and unpaved roads
and a little bit of off road

there are some dual sports that can be kitted for this
and there are small displacement bikes styled like this (CB500X)
but none of them are true ADV rides

Last edited:
That's what dual sports do -- part road, part dirtbike. Adventure doesn't mean pounding single tracks, it's an all around high performance bike that can handle itself on rough roads and across some tough terrain. Comfortably, quickly, and reliably.

Saddle up your KLR and head to Alaska or the Trans Lab with a GS and/or DL rider. You'll need an extra week of holidays taking a dual sport on an Adv ride.
I ride with 8 or 9 other buddies on KLRs. Out of the group we/they have ridden the Tran Taiga, Trans Lab, and Tuktoyaktuk is planned for next summer (3 weeks - there and back). 800-1000km days no problem. Comfortably and reliably. Sure we don't do a lot more than 120kph but we all have licenses to preserve. Of course that 120 can be paved or gravel - makes no difference. GS or DL riders can tag along but we certainly won't need another week of holidays on any ride.

The big ADV catagory was invented by BMW, nobody saw anything like it till the Paris/Dakar when the GS showed up on the start line.

Which led to the r80GS introduced in Canada in 1981. it was airborne on the cover of Cycle Canada. I'm going to go dig up the issue I think.

Kawasaki did release the Tengai in 1988ish, no way is that a dual sport. It's an adv bike by every definition of the word. Then the bmw gs1000 in 1989.
Both long before 2004.
That photo of the BMW looks like a upgraded standard style bike, if that is being consider a ADV style bike, HD has been doing that kind of stuff since the 30's.

Back
Top Bottom