No Harley Bikes here ..? | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

No Harley Bikes here ..?

“Another Cheap knock off”.

Spoken like a true Harley snob.

I’ve had people tell me that I’m trying to make my VTX into a cheap Harley knock off because it has a batwing on it. :rolleyes:
Has nothing to do with being a snob, HD is an iconic brand which others have tried to copied in various ways.

I loved the Challenger in spy photos and still do like the look of the side profile. I’m having a tough time with the look from the front especially the headlight. I hate the dash, looks like you would be very limited in bar choices.

I do want to ride one for sure though. Sounds like it makes good power, FOX shock, inverted forks and Brembo brakes it should be be a really nice bike to ride.

This bike is the easiest way to get me off my Road Glide. I don’t know if it’s enough to do so right now though.

What?!?! Are you implying that Harley is doing original things? Eesh. They've been producing the same lump for over 50 years with minor modifications along the way to meet EPA standards etc.
You took the words right out of my mouth

I think a buddy of mine hit the nail on the head when he said they should have put the Vrod motor in a Buell chassis. That would have been original....

Ever since they got rid of the V-Rod, this is the only cruiser I'd even consider.

0d2972b1f764eb5595a3b6a07ab5075a.jpg
Newmarket Suzuki has one for $7900 1572648104689.png2013 Ducati Diavel in Aurora, ON | SUZUKI OF NEWMARKET - 45993984

Diavel is a very cool ride. But i wouldn't touch one with a 10ft pole. Service can get very expensive. Not uncommon to need big end bearings at 60,000km.A major service will probably cost over $1500.

Diavel is a very cool ride. But i wouldn't touch one with a 10ft pole. Service can get very expensive. Not uncommon to need big end bearings at 60,000km.A major service will probably cost over $1500.
That's why the one shown above is not in my garage. And I think it's closer to $2500 for the next major service on that Diavel.

It would make a damn fine garage queen.

That's why the one shown above is not in my garage. And I think it's closer to $2500 for the next major service on that Diavel.

It would make a damn fine garage queen.
Dealer price.

I'm trying to picture a big pre-unit V twin powering a ADV.

I think in 2020 you'll have a better picture. It's a DOHC V-twin, likely destined for the flat track first. But as always with HD, being tops in HP is not likely going to go be the case. Practical, dynamic power from the bottom of the RPM range, rather than peak dyno numbers will be the plan. A bike that will do the long distance off-road comfortably rather than quickly. At the end of the day while cheaper bike owners struggle with soreness, the Harley rider will ask what's wrong.

1572708507405.png
I saw this pic on Cycleworld in their article on the new HD PanAm. Look at the rear chain, look how far it hugs the driven sprocket -- what's up with that?

if the production model still has that plank of a seat
it'll be the HD rider sitting on a bag of ice at the end of the day

not sure what your understanding of ADV bikes is
but real ones are not cheap

HD looks to be taking on the GSA with this effort
they better price it several thousand less if they want to sell any

HD is has the touring market pinned down. The growth segment is in ADV bikes.

[/URL][/URL]

It will be interesting to see what happens with the new bikes HD plans to introduce and the repositioning/market expansion they are attempting.

More than any other company/product HD sells a brand. There are better functioning and/or better priced competing vehicles in every category they market but they have thrived because of their brand and the perceived value of being part of that tribe extracts a price premium.

As you note, their touring models transcend the brand as many of them end up with high mileage, and seem to be priced in the same ball park as with similar features as their competition.

Personally, I don't think the brand is going carry any value into the adventure segment. The bike will be judged based on its performance, features, and appearance weighted on price and availability in competition with the other entries. Brand prestige works for BMW to a degree but HD has no history in in this market. If anything the bike will face more scrutiny and the brand may be a liability that engenders resistance among some.

The adventure segment is already well populated with bikes in all sizes and price ranges. From inexpensive but competent to feature loaded, brand flagships. Can Harley really offer something that hasn't been done or is better than what's on offer?

I think the Harley adventure bike is hideously ugly and I wouldn't spend somebody else's' money on it, but beauty is in the eyes of the buyer, or something like that.

I think their entry to the naked segment should be highly successful though as the brand works there and the bike looks really good.

HD looks to be taking on the GSA with this effort
they better price it several thousand less if they want to sell any
They better rotate the engine 90 degrees, put a shaft drive on it and some full sized wheels too.

Reactions: J_F
View attachment 41339
I saw this pic on Cycleworld in their article on the new HD PanAm. Look at the rear chain, look how far it hugs the driven sprocket -- what's up with that?

that pics looks like a CG mock-up

in typical HD fashion, you're only allowed to see the RHS of the bike
looks like they have embraced last century's technology and have an integrated trans
I'd like to see the left side and confirm that the ridiculously huge and obsolete primary drive is gone

Somebody should tell them that fuel injection bikes have fuel pumps
:I you don't need a big steel gas tank mounted as high on the bike as possible any more.

I struggle to think the ADV bike is great idea, would take a lot for me to go that direction instead of a KTM or Africa Twin. However if I was shopping naked's I would take a long hard look at the Streetfighter when it comes out.

last one then I gotta find something useful to do

seems to be only real pic of the Pan America
a prototype under testing
the plastics aren't on it yet, that can come later

look at the rear wheel....does that look like a brake on the RHS?
looks to me like a sprocket, or a belt drive

and I can't help it
I just have a strong feeling that a few frames after this pic
something terrible happened :)

eZaaBjp.jpg

HD's biggest problem breaking into any market has been PRICE. They come in high and only the middle-agers can afford them. The M/C prime market is 20-30 somethings and they want everything for cheap - and faster than the other guy. That's a difficult hump to get over even when you're selling practicality and quality. So again, it will be aimed toward a more mature rider.

Back
Top Bottom