News: E-bike rider hit by van on Dufferin Street | GTAMotorcycle.com

News: E-bike rider hit by van on Dufferin Street

EBikes are supposed to follow the same rules as bicycles. Except on certain paths they are not allowed (i think like martin goodman trail)

EBikes are supposed to follow the same rules as bicycles. Except on certain paths they are not allowed (i think like martin goodman trail)
Technically allowed everywhere bikes are if you are pedalling them. The limitations only kick in when under power. That being said, we all know that the vast majority of ebikes are impossible to pedal.

As for insurance, I would suspect the car insurance picks up the cost of the ebike. It's not a motor vehicle so it is basically property damage as the result of an at-fault accident.

Government/MTO really needs to come up with better definitions + rules around E-bikes. Its just a blanket term for anything with a battery now.

IMO the ones with the fake pedals are just electric mopeds trying to skirt the law. Nobody is actually pedaling these around, they weigh upwards of 120kg and I’m betting most of them have been modified to go above the 32km/h limit. One of those fake electric Ninjas passed me on the sidewalk – my speedo was at 45km/h. Call these electric mopeds/scooters - make them carry some sort of liability insurance, and allow them to legally travel faster than the 32km/h limit. Follows the same rules as a motor vehicle.

E-bike: electrical assist bicycle. Motor only engages when the rider is putting input on the pedals. Motor does not engage past 32km/h. Same rules as a bicycle (no insurance).

I'm surprised you don't hear about more crashes/problems. Only a matter of time before someone takes out a Grandma on their Emmo Ninja.

Government/MTO really needs to come up with better definitions + rules around E-bikes. Its just a blanket term for anything with a battery now.

IMO the ones with the fake pedals are just electric mopeds trying to skirt the law. Nobody is actually pedaling these around, they weigh upwards of 120kg and I’m betting most of them have been modified to go above the 32km/h limit. One of those fake electric Ninjas passed me on the sidewalk – my speedo was at 45km/h. Call these electric mopeds/scooters - make them carry some sort of liability insurance, and allow them to legally travel faster than the 32km/h limit. Follows the same rules as a motor vehicle.

E-bike: electrical assist bicycle. Motor only engages when the rider is putting input on the pedals. Motor does not engage past 32km/h. Same rules as a bicycle (no insurance).

I'm surprised you don't hear about more crashes/problems. Only a matter of time before someone takes out a Grandma on their Emmo Ninja.
Yeah the other day i was driving. Saw a motorcycle in my rear mirror and it looked like your usual "2-lights-at-the-front" sportbike. But no lights were on. So it caught my attention. Then i saw it pass...not a sound and finally saw the ebike sticker at the back. That was on a 50km/h to 60km/h stretch of lakeshore and he was just going along no problem.

I think the issue is more around enforcement than legislation.

"Pedelecs" (electric assist pedal bikes) are totally fine to me, they definitely have a place in the market. Sadly the e-bikes we see on the roads are usually DUIcycles. Avoid licensing and insurance and modify to avoid the rules of the road at an affordable cost and the cops don't give a crap what they do. They're too busy with ALL THE OTHER road users already breaking the law. What's not to like for the target market

The rules for ebikes were idiotic from the start. I agree with your definitions. 120 kg was just asking for abuse. Most ebikes that could be pedalled are closer to 30 kg. I also like either motor assist only (ie you must pedal) or an additional test for certification where the bike must be pedaled (eg. 500 m at 25 km/h average speed). I suspect that the vast majority of ebikes with 3" cranks could not be pedaled at all, especially at a viable speed.

Yeah the other day i was driving. Saw a motorcycle in my rear mirror and it looked like your usual "2-lights-at-the-front" sportbike. But no lights were on. So it caught my attention. Then i saw it pass...not a sound and finally saw the ebike sticker at the back. That was on a 50km/h to 60km/h stretch of lakeshore and he was just going along no problem.

"Pedelecs" (electric assist pedal bikes) are totally fine to me, they definitely have a place in the market. Sadly the e-bikes we see on the roads are usually DUIcycles. Avoid licensing and insurance and modify to avoid the rules of the road at an affordable cost and the cops don't give a crap what they do. They're too busy with ALL THE OTHER road users already breaking the law. What's not to like for the target market
The cops do like the modified ebikes. That is an $7,000+ traffic stop (no insurance, no M license, no helmet, no plate, non-road legal vehicle). That's very good for the quota. Hell, removing the useless pedals sets you up for that pain. I suspect at some point, there will be a serious injury caused by a DUIscooter and ebike definition will be changed to pedelec and the current batch of chinesium crap will go do the dump as no one will want to pay for the required insurance as they get (IMO rightly) classified as LSM.

These ebikes are becoming more and more of nuisance . On a regular basis I see them taking up the left lane on Lakeshore . Many are modified as they are easily doing 50km/hr .

I swear I have clocked them doing about 60-70km/hr.. The latest batches I have seen are pretty fast.. and the young guys driving/riding them do so like they are a bicycle.

Imagine when you add pay as you go e-scooters to the mix later this year (like the company Lime)

I swear I have clocked them doing about 60-70km/hr.. The latest batches I have seen are pretty fast.. and the young guys driving/riding them do so like they are a bicycle.
Yes, many (if not most) are modifiable to reach 70km/hr. The earlier ones were more likely to fry parts when modded to go that speed, but it sounds like the more current e-bikes have parts and electronics that can handle the increased power.

Like this one?4075040751

I pulled alongside an EMMO Ninja at Bullock and McCowan this week, the kid cranked her from the lights -- surprised me. Helet up at 75kmh, don't know whether that was the governor or his limit, either way it was way more than 30kmh.

Personally I'd be OK of you could have a 75KMH non-highway ebike as long as it met the same safety standards as scooters AND required an LSM licence to ride. I'd even support no insurance for them.

I pulled alongside an EMMO Ninja at Bullock and McCowan this week, the kid cranked her from the lights -- surprised me. Helet up at 75kmh, don't know whether that was the governor or his limit, either way it was way more than 30kmh.

Personally I'd be OK of you could have a 75KMH non-highway ebike as long as it met the same safety standards as scooters AND required an LSM licence to ride. I'd even support no insurance for them.
75 km/h and mass of ~200kg is way too much energy for no insurance. No insurance only works if you keep things light and slow.

Was driving on Dundas and Cawthra and had one of these e-bikes ahead of me....thought I’d try and follow to see the speed and it kept a solid 50kph with no issue. EMMO something or other but could’ve fooled me it looked like a motorcycle.
Hell I’d get one for inner city commute as it seems like a cheap way to get around. Chick had a full face which shocked me.

Back
Top Bottom