News: E-bike rider hit by van on Dufferin Street | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

News: E-bike rider hit by van on Dufferin Street

I was northbound on Bayview Ave. around Sunnybrook Hospital in stop and go traffic. Looked over to the southbound lanes and saw a person on an e-bike with a mobile up to her ear on a call. She was easily doing traffic speeds, which would have been 40kph - 50kph given the lighter traffic in that direction. Unbelievable! If she got in an accident, what would be the insurance consequences? Definitely, the outcome from any such hypothetical accident would not be good.

... a person on an e-bike with a mobile up to her ear on a call...
Absolutely illegal same as drinking a beer while riding a lawnmower.

Meh. Nobody cares if it looks like a real bike, and nobody cares if the riders kill themselves. Not going to set up another expensive regulatory regime for things that aren't capable of more than 70km/h and run for like, 30 minutes at a time. Some people need to stop fretting about what others are up to.

Here are the current laws - make the faux ebikes adhere to the same rules as gasoline powered mopeds and your problems are solved.
It'd get the DUIs off the streets but likely kill the market.
Ontario Moped Laws

Saw 4 guys on their pocket bike sized scooters on lakeshore 3 days ago in mississauga. Riding w/out helmet whether on the cycle lane or on the furthestmost side of the lane hugging the curb. I found them funny as they weren't really disrupting anything (there are ebikes i see once in a while in the area doing the same...difference is they had engines)

As i got to my place, had to turn and while waiting they managed to catch up. Well who ends up coming in the opposite direction is the police who didn't think they were funny. It made a u-turn, followed them for a while and cherries went up. So i just had to merge back and follow to see what was gonna happen.

Little effers turned into a circus and managed to evade the police on their low powered ruckus looking vehicles as they could out turn them. Was a fun show to watch.

Back
Top Bottom