New Yamaha R-7 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Yamaha R-7

Sometimes you get a cheap window on a new bike as the morons haven't crashed it and pushed it onto a blacklist.

yup, or the ones that can afford it new are less likely to crash it. wait until they hit the used market at a lower price and then we'll see.

If Insurance companies see it as a faired MT-07, then what is the complaint? Who among us will ever get to take a bike north of 200mph?

If Insurance companies see it as a faired MT-07, then what is the complaint? Who among us will ever get to take a bike north of 200mph?
Depends on what we don’t know.
Retuned engine for higher speed (track use)
More aggressive throttle and brakes?

These will just punt it into super sport territory and it gets added to the list.

Manufacturers 'gentlemen's' agreement says 300 kmh.
I thought they just stopped the speedo there but a few continued to accelerate. That being said, I don't think many can get to 200 mph. Probably only H2?

I'm going say almost zero. Is there a factory road legal bike that can get to 200?
Yup, there are a few, my Hayabusa was game. I tried a couple of times, but my GPS told me I ran out of courage at 167.

Yup, there are a few, my Hayabusa was game. I tried a couple of times, but my GPS told me I ran out of courage at 167.
I thought busas were just shy (190's)? In any case, there arent a lot of stretches of public road where you can half safely get to those speeds. You need quite a long stretch free of morons and fuzz (except maybe h2 as it apparently still has a lot left at 200, I havent ridden one).

I think the ECU kicks in and flattens the ignition timing ?
Nope. Plenty of gps speed videos proving otherwise nowadays. This gentlemens agreement crap is old news. The speedo stops at 299 but the litre (or more obviously) bikes go well beyond (330+). Definitely not cutting power.

My 2008 ZX-14 definitely did have a limiter. Just before the needle kissed 300, it'd stop pulling. Not a hard limiter, nothing dramatic, just hung there. That was indicated, mind you, but the bike was using the speedo as reference. Considering speedo optimism, I'd guess around 170 true speed.

Not sure when they removed the limiter from the factory, but apparently the bike back then could do around 196 stock with a SpeedoHealer to fool the ECU. At that speed, aerodynamics matters more than horsepower, so the rider would make a huge difference...

Last edited:
My 2008 ZX-14 definitely did. Just before the needle kissed 300, it'd stop pulling. Not a hard limiter, nothing dramatic, just hung there. That was indicated, mind you, but the bike was using the speedo as reference. Considering speedo optimism, I'd guess around 170 true speed.

Not sure when they removed the limiter from the factory, but apparently the bike back then could do around 196 stock with a SpeedoHealer to fool the ECU. At that speed, aerodynamics matters more than horsepower, so the rider would make a huge difference...

I'm not sure either. Sometime in the mid 2010's I think.

Replacement for the 4 cylinder R-6 ?

So this is the replacement for the R6?

We really are witnessing, Velociraptors, slowly evolving into chickens!

A few basic things bother me about this bike.
I think most of us feel the same way, but have not said it yet.

The R1 is the gold standard in sport bikes.

R6 also pretty damn good in the inline 4 series of sport bikes

R7 is too close to that moniker.
It makes it sound like a Super Sport bike.

R1 is an inline 4 cylinder engine.

This new R7 is a vertical twin????

As soon as I heard the title R7 I immediately thought they were back into the 750cc Super Sport market.

I just think, it's the wrong name for the bike.

Also any R badged Yamaha has to be full fairing.

Back
Top Bottom