New TV...? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New TV...?

jc100

My old 1080p Tv is on the fritz. Need to go get a new one. Going to get it from Costco with the extended warranty. I know nothing about new tech and brands, I know I want a 55” one as a little upgrade to what I have and I want to keep the cost down, so no $1k sets etc.

Seen a QLED one from Samsung that is at the top of the pricerange and also seen some sets from TCL and Hisense that are at the lower end, some LG sets that are in the midrange. One of the TCL sets is a 65” which is doable in my room but don’t know if it would be a bit big.

Anyone have any opinions? I’m just going to be watching TV/movies, if there’s any games it’s a PS3. I don’t think I have any 4K sources anyway.

Are TVs at a stage where I can just get the cheapest one and it will be perfectly fine?

I try and get the highest refresh rate I can in my price range. Cousins have a 60Hz rate and you can see streaks if there are fast moving objects on the screen. I've got a 120Hz and very rarely do I see any streak when there's something moving fast across the screen (soccer ball / hockey puck in games for instance).

I'm no expert, but I do know it's a little more complex than just picking the cheapest one for size. Quality of the Smart TV system, screen glare, brightness for your room, number of inputs, all can be important, depending on your situation.

I've used sites like rtings.com for some decent reviews, but there are so many models and variations, they often don't have exactly the model you may have your eye on. Our last TV purchase a few years ago ended up changing from a planned Samsung to a Vizio based on their recommendations, which saved us a bundle. At a minimum, I would Google any models you have your eye on to see if there's major QC issues etc.

As for 4k, if you stream, there's a lot more out there now, but it's not necessary. Our set is 60", and I definitely notice the quality bump, but content is hit and miss. If you use Netflix, Crave, Amazon Prime etc, then I'd definitely go 4k. If you just watch TV and DVD's, then there's not much point...

Rtings.com is great. I dont buy extended warranties for TVs. By the time this one dies, the newer one are a huge step up in image quality. My problem is normally they live too long. Still running a vizio smart tv circa 2008 that has no issues other than the newer stuff looks a lot better.

Rtings.com is great. I dont buy extended warranties for TVs. By the time this one dies, the newer one are a huge step up in image quality. My problem is normally they live too long. Still running a vizio smart tv circa 2008 that has no issues other than the newer stuff looks a lot better.

As Mimico said if you watch sports etc go for a higher refresh rate than the standard 60Hz. Major brands like Sony and Samsung often offer a lot of nice features making it easy to connect to external drives etc but if you don’t intend to use them save your money. Smart TV is a nice feature but again at added cost.

Outputs and inputs are definitely something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

If you're like me you won't use many of the bells and whistles that come with the more expensive tvs.
As others said, refresh rate is important.
Imo, Hisense is at that point where they are a great value.
Kinda like where Vizio was, before they got more expensive.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Ok...so an eventful day. Was going to get a TCL 65” but it wouldn’t have fit in the SUV, wife liked the picture on the Samsung Q60 55” which was $100 more (also ****** because it was $100 off yesterday) but had a better score on rtings (7.3 vs 7.1). Got it home, sorted out the mount, played some Netflix and amazon prime through the smart TV app....holy **** it’s nice.

It’s dark...I read that’s the power save settings and I need to override them and set it up myself. Also need to sort out the connections. Right now my NVidia shield has video pass through from my Yamaha receiver to the tv and the sound comes through the Yamaha. That’s all good, but the Netflix app on the smart TV is playing through the TV speakers. I’m guessing there’s a setting to play it through the Yamaha somewhere.

It’s dark...I read that’s the power save settings and I need to override them and set it up myself. Also need to sort out the connections. Right now my NVidia shield has video pass through from my Yamaha receiver to the tv and the sound comes through the Yamaha. That’s all good, but the Netflix app on the smart TV is playing through the TV speakers. I’m guessing there’s a setting to play it through the Yamaha somewhere.
Hdmi arc will lead you in the right direction.

Hdmi arc will lead you in the right direction.

thanks for this....only ever had a non smart TV attached to this receiver before so never used the return audio channel (Didn’t even really know about it). I need to play with some settings tomorrow and ditch the optical cable I attached.

@jc100 looks like a bunch of tv's there are on rebate this week. I would check and see if yours is, and go in for the price adjustment.
I'll be going there today if you want me to check.
Just let me know the item number.

It’s the Samsung q60t 55”

It was on rebate last week , I missed it by a day. Thanks Joe.

Last edited:
It’s the Samsung q60t 55”

It was on rebate last week , I missed it by a day. Thanks Joe.
Ignore my dm

What did you pay?
fd15569145b43de891a4441d76369a10.jpg

sounds like you're happy with the Samsung
they have great PQ and build

if you're just into streaming, jc, that unit should be fine
for anyone reading this thread later and runs a home network
maybe not so good

couple of years ago I was shopping for a 55 in
found a great deal on a Samsung and brought it home

I run a NAS with vid, music and photos on it, eth to my router
don't like to run a bunch of server clients on it to keep it simple
I run Plex and Samba....the Samsung could not be used as a client for either

reading up it looks like you need to run Samsung's proprietary server: Allshare
there was no distro of that available for my NAS: linux OS

took it back and got a Sony Android powered unit
good hardware and more importantly: no need to change anything on the server side
also built in chrome cast dongle and supports miricast
also backwards compatible quite well with my older Yamaha rec.
muy bueno

end highjack

I remember when I was shopping for a new TV I only wanted a dumb TV (this was maybe 3 years ago) but no proprietary brand sold them. Everyone just sells smart TVs now. I was hesitant for a year to connect, but the convenience of Spotify and Youtube being able to directly connect in seconds has made me forget it. Wish I had more HDMI ports.
I got a midrange LG 65" during a Christmas sale, something like $650 after tax. It's nice, but I don't watch sports and the PS4/XB1 look good. Not the best, but good for me.
Sucks when other pieces of tech get old tho, my router and modem were needing replacement because "5 years is old" and everything starts deteriorating with constant network usage... Then there's the laptop, the phone, guhhhhhh
/rant

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Sucks when other pieces of tech get old tho, my router and modem were needing replacement because "5 years is old" and everything starts deteriorating with constant network usage... Then there's the laptop, the phone, guhhhhhh
/rant

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Try to keep them clean and cool. This computer is hooked up using a ~2013 router as a wireless bridge to a ~2014 main house router. The modem is ~2014 (needed vsdl so adsl modem went in the abandoned tech drawer). The other wireless bridges are ~2011 (these are 100MB that became surplus when main router went to gigabit in ~2014). The main router and modem live in the garage in a filtered cabinet with a UPS. I needed to access it to do a hard reset once in the last ~21 months.

Back
Top Bottom