New truck - Engine / Transmission issues. Going to argue for dealer to give me a new a truck - frustrated. | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New truck - Engine / Transmission issues. Going to argue for dealer to give me a new a truck - frustrated.

I'm on the tooling / automation side. Without that, new stuff doesn't get built. Old stuff can keep getting built until the tooling wears out or something breaks but the clock is ticking.

We have been coping until recently by substituting brands and scavenging decommissioned equipment and digging parts out of spares but that only goes on for so long, and now you've got no spares. If an operator interface screen or a safety I/O card kicks the bucket now, you're screwed.

That's why it's getting worse...

And I'm off work today because the scheduled project isn't ready, because they can't get parts to finish it!
You go to sign the PO for new pens and the one you have is out of ink.........

Those CR agents don't tend to last very long, they move onto greener pastures as soon as they can. Basically they are the manufactures whipping boy/girl.

I'm a PM for a Japanese brand and the backorders are release dates are really hit and miss. I've stopped giving estimates until the part get's physically assigned to my order, too many times the date has been pushed back. Over promising and under delivering has been making me look like an idiot.

I did it for a while and the squeaking wheels grind away at your soul. You are not allowed to blame the boss for being cheap. Low unattractive wages don't bring eager workers in the door. Inventory is money sitting on the shelf so keep it low. Throw in the customer attitude "If I wanted it tomorrow, I'd order it tomorrow."

I can't help but feel a lot of CEO's and investors are living in the past, as are some of their customers.

In 1960 you bought your car from one of three manufacturers plus VW. They came in one size. There were a few engine / transmission choices, no circuit chips. The tire choice was black or whitewall. SAE for the big three and metric for VW. Inventory was relatively simple.

How many car companies are there now? How many sizes each and how many engine / transmission options? Do you want turbo with that?

A Haynes manual resolved 99.9% of your problems. Now it's a subscription to the manufacturer's data base.

As a service rep you will burn out if you get personally involved with the customer. What do you do when a person buys something hoping to enjoy the summer with family and the item fails. Then you find out someone has terminal cancer and there will be no second summer.

Last edited:
In 1960 you bought your car from one of three manufacturers plus VW. They came in one size. There were a few engine / transmission choices, no circuit chips. The tire choice was black or whitewall. SAE for the big three and metric for VW. Inventory was relatively simple.

How many car companies are there now? How many sizes each and how many engine / transmission options? Do you want turbo with that?

Thank God for that, otherwise we all be driving dull GM's today and unreliable VWs (hey, lets make one pathetic model (J-body) , and dupe the public by badge engineering it..... one Chevy Cavelier, Caddilac Cimmaron, Pontiac J 2000 , Buick Skyhawk, and Oldmosbile Firenza)

LOL, why did I know I'd find Sunny in this thread. Shoulda bought a Honda, right?

Good thing Honda has never had any history of major transmission issues (cough) spread across multiple model years (cough) for a long period of time before they finally addressed it and fixed the issue. (cough cough). I won't even mention the later model years.

Hey, while we're on the topic, how are those Ridgelines doing that the gas tank likes to fall off of?

/s
OP, this is a ****** situation, but you need to find a better dealer than one that's just leaving it sitting while they tend to other more profitable and less time consuming jobs. Squeaky wheel gets the grease as others have said. Make some noise, politely, but firmly.

LOL, why did I know I'd find Sunny in this thread. Shoulda bought a Honda, right?

Good thing Honda has never had any history of major transmission issues (cough) spread across multiple model years (cough) for a long period of time before they finally addressed it and fixed the issue. (cough cough). I won't even mention the later model years.

Hey, while we're on the topic, how are those Ridgelines doing that the gas tank likes to fall off of?

/s
OP, this is a ****** situation, but you need to find a better dealer than one that's just leaving it sitting while they tend to other more profitable and less time consuming jobs. Squeaky wheel gets the grease as others have said. Make some noise, politely, but firmly.

spirit of my post.........

imagine what it would be like if we were still stuck with the "Big 3" as our only choices today?

do they even make actual "cars" that people actually want to buy anymore? LOLz

/s
Bought what was possibly my last Chevy a few years ago.
Dealer did the first transmission service as per the schedule.
A month later the transmission had a total and complete failure.
When taking the transmission in and putting in a new one, a wiring harness was pinched.
I had bizarre electrical problems after that, and then a four month fight with the dealership to fix it.
Every time I took it in, they replaced the brake light bulbs. Every time I drove it away, they unbeknownst to me, blew.
So I was driving around for years with no brake lights, because the circuit was exposed and had corroded.

Honda has been good so far, except one weird time when the transmission stopped working for a day in the Tim Horton's line five years ago, the rear hatch doesn't close itself anymore, and the sunroof can't be opened.

Thank God for that, otherwise we all be driving dull GM's today and unreliable VWs (hey, lets make one pathetic model (J-body) , and dupe the public by badge engineering it..... one Chevy Cavelier, Caddilac Cimmaron, Pontiac J 2000 , Buick Skyhawk, and Oldmosbile Firenza)

I'm not saying we should go back, just that logistics have changed from the days when all Chevys had small block V-8s and two speed automatics.

You missed the X body POS with it's killer brakes and steering. Then they tried the Fiero, an X car made to go backwards.

To fully embrace the thread derail...

I think you're confusing the 1960 date from @nobbie48 's post with 1980. The domestic cars released in the '60s were far from perfect, but on average, the 1960s were probably the least 'dull' car decade I can think of. It all fell apart through the '70s, though, culminating in the extraordinary list of absolute garbage you posted.

The only thing I'd add is the J2000 will always be a Sunbird to me. Had a serious girlfriend back in the '90s who had six older brothers, four of whom worked for GM in Oshawa. She was a student at the time, so they collectively made sure she always had a GM car. She had three different Sunbirds of varying vintages while we were together, and they were all different shades of terrible. Nostalgia is a powerful drug, though, and if I saw one cheap, I might buy it. Of course, the wife wouldn't need to know why...

The only thing I'd add is the J2000 will always be a Sunbird to me. Had a serious girlfriend back in the '90s who had six older brothers, four of whom worked for GM in Oshawa. She was a student at the time, so they collectively made sure she always had a GM car. She had three different Sunbirds of varying vintages while we were together, and they were all different shades of terrible. Nostalgia is a powerful drug, though, and if I saw one cheap, I might buy it. Of course, the wife wouldn't need to know why...

one of my customers has a convertible sunbird in storage. it was the car he dated and married his wife with, so kept if for nostalgia.

needless to say, its mint. and he been happily married for 25+ years.....

I'll try to take a pic next time I see him. always laughed at him that he kept such a piece of junk beside is Alfa, Land Rover, classic Firebird GTA and other collectable cars.

To fully embrace the thread derail...

I think you're confusing the 1960 date from @nobbie48 's post with 1980. The domestic cars released in the '60s were far from perfect, but on average, the 1960s were probably the least 'dull' car decade I can think of. It all fell apart through the '70s, though, culminating in the extraordinary list of absolute garbage you posted.

perhaps, 60s was well before my time. :)

This reminds me of the nightmare I had to go through with a new Saab I got in 2008 from a GM dealership. The car started developing transmission issues at under 1,000km.

It was a year long process, but I went through CAMVAP and GM was forced to buy the lemon back from me and pay me for time off work, bus fairs, etc.

I made a thread about it here but it's likely in the archives/gone forever.

perhaps, 60s was well before my time. :)

I had a longer list, but it would've dominated the thread which I'm already derailing hard. Cars from the '60s weren't always great cars, but they were rarely dull. I'm a very late Gen X'er, so have been infected by boomer nostalgia, but I think this is the greatest era of car design, when things went wild without consideration for fuel economy, safety, practicality, etc. I'm not saying those things aren't important, just that they get in the way of pure design. A short list of icons would include:

1657291358537.png1657291602852.png

1657291657317.png1657292403405.png

1657292735773.png1657293074502.png

1657293190432.png1657294085752.png
1657294258215.png1657294444469.png

I had a longer list, but it would've dominated the thread which I'm already derailing hard. Cars from the '60s weren't always great cars, but they were rarely dull. I'm a very late Gen X'er, so have been infected by boomer nostalgia, but I think this is the greatest era of car design, when things went wild without consideration for fuel economy, safety, practicality, etc. I'm not saying those things aren't important, just that they get in the way of pure design. A short list of icons would include:

View attachment 56325View attachment 56327

View attachment 56328View attachment 56329

View attachment 56330View attachment 56331

View attachment 56332View attachment 56334
View attachment 56335View attachment 56336
Last one isn't late '50's?

I need to wait for Friday and she will call me back with more information.

well-waiting.gif

Last one isn't late '50's?
Technically 1960. I like it because you can see the transition between the '50s and '60s design language in it. Front has gotten low and flat and wide with the headlights beside rather than above the grill, but the grill is still very prominent. Fin is still there, but the body lines are early '60s long and low, and there's the hint of the lift over the rear tire that would be a signature of later '60s cars with drag racing being such a touchstone in both design and intent.

Maybe the 1960 Impala would have been a better choice, looking like a late '50s model put through a pasta roller...

Careful, you could put an eye out with a '59 Caddy.
IeqBPBel.jpg

So yet another update...

Finally get another call today. It's not even my agent, it's a different one doing a courtesy call for mine since she's out-of the office. She called to inform me that the part should be arriving in 4-7 business days at the dealership and then they can repair the truck ( so another 2 weeks basically).

So I immediately ask her if she's even read the case notes or the email exchange? Because I made it abundantly clear I don't want this piece of ****. We were working on a new truck and she had received the bill of sale. I don't want to see this truck or get into it. Then come the "oh I understand, it had low kms when it failed blah blah, but we need to wait till it's repaired to go further."

I asked to speak to a supervisor, but according to her she's a customer care senior advisor and no ones above her.......sure. I reiterate that I'll take the loss and buy elsewhere and GM is going to lose me as a customer for life if they don't go the extra step here. She again mentions that rebates can be given which I just laugh at, rebate for what? My trucks fully loaded, wtf do I need a rebate for? An oil change? Just exchange the ******* vehicle.

We go back and fourth and finally she says since she's not the one handling the case she can't do anymore, that I need to wait for the original agent to call me back whenever she's in the office next. She is just going to document for the 10th time I don't want this truck and is only doing a courtesy call for my agent.

I feel like if I get this truck back I want to drive it through the show room floor right into a ZL1 Corvette and leave it there - that would make me feel at least satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom