New truck - Engine / Transmission issues. Going to argue for dealer to give me a new a truck - frustrated. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New truck - Engine / Transmission issues. Going to argue for dealer to give me a new a truck - frustrated.

I agree with both of you, just a joke. When I spoke to GM Customer Care / Onstar they said you can't even get a rental until its inspected by a technician first to ensure it's actually a valid warranty repair, and I quote "to ensure you didn't drive it into a lake or something"....right. They had my truck for 5 days before that even happened. I called them twice and continued to ask who I should talk too for an appeasement, cause I need to get to work, this is ridiculous. Just gave me the same answer, needs to be inspected before they authorize any rental. Now it's been authorized, but no rentals exist in the area - just a cluster ****.
Start taking Uber everywhere and send GM the bills.

Lemon laws or their facsimiles usually give the dealer several turns at bat.

Does a replacement vehicle have to be a P/U?

How about something off their used car lot as they aren't likely to want to rack miles on a new vehicle?

All my new GMs seemed to come with home sickness and needed a trip to the service department for a final goodbye. After the initial differential, muffler, steering, starter issues they were relatively trouble free.

The rental deal GM cuts with Enterprise will be a lot less than what you would pay and it's unlikely you'd get full compensation if you rented on your own, at least without a fight.

Sadly, you're a number. You may never buy another GM in your life but somewhere there is a Ford driver saying the same about Ford.:(

^
No lemon law in Ontario

Dealer will try to fix it. Probably blow up again. Then the dealer will call in their regional or national tech folks to come look at the truck. Dealer may again try to fix it. On the third attempt they may actually give you what you want.

Just make sure when you get it back check the interior for any rattles. I have seen Nissan force the techs to basically rip apart the entire car to fix issues like this :(

This is my mechanic fixing a rear view camera issue the Nissan approved way...

Attachments

• 20220620_160006.jpg
    20220620_160006.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 42
Sucky situation. It's great you were able to get a new vehicle. But I wonder if you are a victim of the aftermath of COVID, being shortages, both in supplies and workforce and possible companies just rushing product out the door to keep up.
Hopefully GM makes an effort to resolve this in some meaningful way.
Good luck!

You’re not getting a new truck, forget about that as an option, at least at this early point. Your selling dealer probably can’t do anything for you either, they’re just having a conversation instead of appearing indifferent.

What you can do is call Enterprise/Discount (pretty sure GM deals with both, not sure about Avis) and see if they have a GM vehicle that fits your needs anywhere that you would be willing to drive to. Their billing system is centralized so even if you pick it up in Thunder Bay they can bill your dealer. Once you locate one, call your servicing dealer and let them know so they can call the respective rental company and issue them a purchase order number and confirm that it will be billed back to them.

You’re not getting a new truck, forget about that as an option, at least at this early point. Your selling dealer probably can’t do anything for you either, they’re just having a conversation instead of appearing indifferent.

What you can do is call Enterprise/Discount (pretty sure GM deals with both, not sure about Avis) and see if they have a GM vehicle that fits your needs anywhere that you would be willing to drive to. Their billing system is centralized so even if you pick it up in Thunder Bay they can bill your dealer. Once you locate one, call your servicing dealer and let them know so they can call the respective rental company and issue them a purchase order number and confirm that it will be billed back to them.

It's a GM dealer, they can't order proper bolts from Brafasco across the street, but you expect them to arrange rental from Thunder Bay!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

You won’t get a new vehicle, but the “ we need to confirm it’s a warranty issue “ is complete crap . On a two week old truck that won’t move? What else is it going to be .
Escalate this non stop , start with the service manager , email GM customer service , call the dealership manager/ owner and call City TV Shawn O’Shea the “ people advocate” .
Your getting the run around .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Thanks for all the advice people!

So the saga slowly continues. Got a rental yesterday (a basic entry white model Silverado 2017 with dents in both sides). It's the only chevy they have and although I should be thankful to have some wheels....it's sucks not driving my fully loaded truck.

My original dealer called me as soon as I jumped in the new rental, and told me since my Truck is at my local dealer to get fixed and they NOW have got me a rental there is not much else they can do. I asked what's going to happen if this repair takes 2 or so months? You can't be expecting me to make payments on a truck thats in pieces and not in my possession. He says there is nothing he can promise, but he can't even look into options until the truck is fixed. So he is going to call the local dealer and get more information on what's actually wrong with it and the expected downtime, then he can contact customer care on my behalf and see what he can do. Honestly, from his tone and his constant reiterating of "I can't promise anything" I get the feeling the response I'll get from GM is well we fixed your truck didn't we? Be happy.

I'm just tired of calling around and arguing with customer service and going in circles, everyone just passed the buck and wants to work towards making the customer happy, they are all just doing the bare minimum, and barely doing that.

So the saga slowly continues. Got a rental yesterday (a basic entry white model Silverado 2017 with dents in both sides). It's the only chevy they have and although I should be thankful to have some wheels....it's sucks not driving my fully loaded truck.

My original dealer called me as soon as I jumped in the new rental, and told me since my Truck is at my local dealer to get fixed and they NOW have got me a rental there is not much else they can do. I asked what's going to happen if this repair takes 2 or so months? You can't be expecting me to make payments on a truck thats in pieces and not in my possession. He says there is nothing he can promise, but he can't even look into options until the truck is fixed. So he is going to call the local dealer and get more information on what's actually wrong with it and the expected downtime, then he can contact customer care on my behalf and see what he can do. Honestly, from his tone and his constant reiterating of "I can't promise anything" I get the feeling the response I'll get from GM is well we fixed your truck didn't we? Be happy.

I'm just tired of calling around and arguing with customer service and going in circles, everyone just passed the buck and wants to work towards making the customer happy, they are all just doing the bare minimum, and barely doing that.
Be thankful you are making loan payments and not a lease. That was the basis of some arguments against tesla as even before the worldwide supply chain mess, tesla would routinely take many months before the cars could be repaired. You are paying an expensive lease anticipating fuel savings will partly make up for it and are stuck driving an ice car. Worst of both worlds.

Glad they are making some progress. Dealer ostriching and not telling you what they found is very annoying. They may be bound by an NDA with GM in which case my beef is with the mothership. Sadly, they all suck and know that they have little reason to do better.

Last edited:

It amazes me that I can buy a $20 toaster at Canadian Tire and return it for a full refund if not happy.

Buy a $70 K vehicle and you have to suck it up.

It amazes me that I can buy a $20 toaster at Canadian Tire and return it for a full refund if not happy.

Buy a $70 K vehicle and you have to suck it up.
The toaster they throw in the garbage as it was mostly profit with minimal cost. The truck had a little profit upfront but the majority will come later.

I already said it, but your selling dealer is basically giving you lip service. They know there is nothing they can do but don’t want to say that for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately, your situation is standard for pretty much any manufacturer outside of maybe the luxury brands. If you read your warranty fine print, there is probably a line stating that they are not responsible for loss of use or any other costs incurred with a warrantable issue. Essentially their only responsibility is to fix whatever the problem is. They don’t want to say that, so in the interest of appearing to care they are pretending to do something when they know they can’t.

Now that you have a rental, call your rental company and ask them to switch you into a newer truck as soon as they have one available.

Realistically, the best I think you have to hope for is GM may cover a payment or two if the repair starts taking an extraordinary amount of time (say > 4 months)

If I were you, stop stressing about it as nothing will change. Keep all parties updated as this drags on so they have some incentive to throw some money at you.

You won’t get a new vehicle, but the “ we need to confirm it’s a warranty issue “ is complete crap . On a two week old truck that won’t move? What else is it going to be .
Escalate this non stop , start with the service manager , email GM customer service , call the dealership manager/ owner and call City TV Shawn O’Shea the “ people advocate” .
Your getting the run around .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

You would be amazed at the things people do with brand new vehicles and then try to get warranty coverage.

So some people were messaging me asking me for an update, figured I'd do one in case someone else is in a similar circumstances.

Truck is still at the dealership, still have a rental, it's been 7 weeks now. I called the parts manager (who I'm not angry with, they are just fixing the truck) who told me the part they need (valve assembly for the transmission) is back ordered until July 11th. He also told me he's seen this a lot recently - the computer says July 11th but when that date comes around the computer will then push it too July 26, and then August 10 and so fourth. The chances of it being available and here for July 11th are extremely slim.

I got back in touch with GM customer care and asked for a supervisor right off the hop. Instead I talked to a nice lady (will leave out names) who calmed me down and said she will see this through. Told her the story and mentioned I want a new truck or at the very least my payments covered - this was last Tuesday. She said give me 72 business hours and she will call the dealership I bought the truck from and the dealership it's being repaired at and we will have an answer for you. She opened up a ticket and emailed this conversation to me, the past 2 useless reps had not done that.

Fast forward to this week....Wednesday, still no call - that's 86 business hours. I'm at work so I write a long email - detailing that I in no way want this truck back. I just want a new one - that's it. Otherwise give me what it's worth in money and I'll take the hit to shop elsewhere. With the 7 weeks gone now I've also missed prior things I had planned for my holidays - camping, kayaking, canoeing, shooting....things I needed my truck for this summer that I'm not doing in a rental. I mention all of the above that it's not just a truck in repair - it's affecting my personal life as I bought brand new to get reliability out of a vehicle....instead it's been the better part of the summer gone.

She emails me back later in the day. She says she has been reassigned to my case, and is now looking into what can be done. She needs an additional 72 business hours to see if I can receive a new truck.

As you can imagine I fire off another email, but I ******. It more or less highlights wtf have you been doing for the other 72 hours? You want me to give you an additional 72 hours, to do what you told me you were going to do 72 hours ago? Email goes on about disappointment, frustration, unprofessionalism, and lack of interest from a company for its consumers that keep it afloat. And it reiterates I do NOT want my truck back. Period. I don't want to see it, I don't want to ******* drive it. The only way to continue to have me, my family, and to not influence everyone I know NOT to by GM is to give me another truck - and given the circumstances I don't think that's a tough call.

I get an email back the next day outlining she's working with her supervisor giving me the best possible outcome and is looking at a possible new vehicle. Sorry for the frustration again but I need to wait for Friday and she will call me back with more information.

So...that about sums it up. Brand new truck, in the shop going on 2 months now with no ETA on parts or repair and GM hasn't done a god damn thing yet.

So...that about sums it up. Brand new truck, in the shop going on 2 months now with no ETA on parts or repair and GM hasn't done a god damn thing yet.
I doubt she's stonewalling you, my personal suspicions would be that there are no repair parts AND no replacement vehicles.
Demand a full refund - see if that gets you anywhere.
I asked my local Ford dealer last December to call me when they had a Maverick in stock so I could take a look at it and maybe a test drive - so far nothing.
I waved money at them - crickets...

Sucks but all the MFG are in the same boat no parts no stock. I imagine they are going to fix yours and that's about it. Might as well drive the rental and use it for whatever is needed

Those CR agents don't tend to last very long, they move onto greener pastures as soon as they can. Basically they are the manufactures whipping boy/girl.

I'm a PM for a Japanese brand and the backorders are release dates are really hit and miss. I've stopped giving estimates until the part get's physically assigned to my order, too many times the date has been pushed back. Over promising and under delivering has been making me look like an idiot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom