New to the group but been browsing for a while.. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to the group but been browsing for a while..

Buying motorcycle insurance is like gambling, you roll the dice and take a chance. If you buy close to the minimal insurance coverage for the next 50 years and have no significant claims, you saved a pot full of money. If you buy all the insurance they sell and had numerous claims, you went through a pot full of money, theirs and yours. Most riders fit in the latter category and that's why our insurance rates are so high.

I was going to tell you work boots are a terrible choice for motorcycle riding boots too, work boots have probably caused as many motorcycle injuries as they prevented. Here's how it will happen; your boot laces are going to catch something when you go to put a foot down and then you are going to fall over, swear a whole bunch and then decide to never wear them riding again. We know this because many of us have already done this.

My first bike got stolen way back in the day (1993). It was definitely nice to have comprehensive at the time, for what it's worth. Then again, like another member on the site commented, insurance was dirt cheap back then.

I'm no expert with claims, but a deductible might be a difficult pill to swallow, depending on how much. If you happened to have a bonehead drop with minimal damage and you could live with a couple of scuffs on your first bike, might be for the best to go with minimal insurance.

I have a $5000 bike - maybe a bit more due to the aftermarket stuff. I have full coverage and also pay more for the full accident benefits and spousal benefit coverage. I've used insurance a couple of times and having the full coverage came in very handy, so I think I'm currently ahead.

If you can afford it go for it. If you would rather spend the $500 on proper riding boots that's also a good decision.

Yeah you're right, being as its an extra 50ish a month for that piece of mind, ill do that. I'm sure the insurance company will appreciate that too lol. But next year come renewal, if all goes well... I should see some good savings! From what I've read in the insurance sections on here anyway.

Dropped into Cycle world after work today.. seems like a good spot for affordable gear. I tried on quite a few helmets to figure out my size. Now time to decide on brand and color scheme. Matte black looks sleek but ive read comments on here about the heat it attracts.
Won't go crazy on this purchase but looking at Icon and scorpion helmets.
Anyone have a version with the drop down tinted visor? Seems like a cool option, rather than have to wear shades in a helmet.
19 days til class! Wooo

Drop down tinted visor is a very nice touch,
but remember that everything you add makes a helmet heavier and a very light helmet is very nice to wear.
Light helmets are also considered safer because they have less inertia and helmet inertia is one of those things they figure might snap your neck.

Thanks for thay info on visor. Didnt even think about that, glad I asked. The mechanism to hold the extra visor is just more weight to be holding up on long rides i hope to do this summer plus the reduced safety factors you mention is huge to me being new.
Curious if anyone has pricematch revco or fortnine at GP? They all have the helmet id like but revco is 200$ less than GP and FN is 140$ less than GP.. i don't mind trying to save a few pennies when I can but thats a big gap! The site policy does state Canadian companies.

Anyone have a version with the drop down tinted visor? Seems like a cool option, rather than have to wear shades in a helmet.
19 days til class! Wooo
I refuse to buy a lid without one. The weight is negligible and you'll appreciate being able to snap down some shade when you ride towards the light vs having to carry an extra visor or have to head home early because you're running a smoked lens and can't use it well at night.

Depending on your budget you could also score a lid with a transition visor. it will go darker as more light hits it and visa versa. Tunnels can be a bit of an issue as it takes some time to complete the full transition.

Here is an example;

the blue is available in almost all sizes.

Same as for @Evoex, drop down tinted visor is a must for me. In most cases, I'm leaving home during the day and returning late evening. Having a tinted visor helps a lot during the day but at night it would be dangerous to ride with it. And carrying extra visor is just too much hassle for me.

Also, the most weight comes from the lid itself (I'm talking about full-face helmets only here). The more expensive helmets will have more advanced tech and their lids will be lighter. I personally like Icon helmets as it is a nice balance between price/features for me. And they sit really well on my head.

GP definitely matches fortnine prices (at least they matched for me last year). You do need to ask to match it before you will go to the counter to pay for it.

One more thing, I would strongly advise against the matte black helmet. My previous helmet had such finish/color and it was a pain to clean it from bugs. Also, I would recommend you to consider some bright colors to increase your visibility on the road (it also helps in group rides).

And the last thing, if you plan to ride early spring/late autumn in the mornings or evenings then I would recommend choosing a helmet that supports pinlock anti-fog lens. You don't need to buy such lens or even a supporting visor right away but it can be very helpful if you will find that your visor is getting fogged and it annoys you.

I have a Shoei GT Air which also has an integrated drop down visor. It's one of the quietest helmets I've ever owned. It feels very light on my head and the aerodynamics of the helmet are really impressive, especially when riding with a shorty windscreen or no screen at all in turbulent traffric like the 401 at speed.
It also has a pinlock anti-fog lens, which I despise. It alters the view of the road and adds another layer of material to look through. If I'm coming around a corner at a good clip and there is some finer gravel or light sand in mid-corner, I want to have as much opportunity to see it and the pinlock adds a slight layer of impairment to what I see, but that's just me. So because I haven't taken the pinlock off, I'm still using one of my older Shoei RF1100 helmets that don't have the drop down visor or pinlock lens.
A basic guideline of buying helemts is that adding money to the purchase price may not improve safety, but (aesthetics aside) it often adds other build qualities not found in cheaper helmets (ie. visor opening mechanism, pinlock or integrated visors, extra venting, lighter weight composition, aerodynamics at speed, and overall quietness).

Those are some really nice looking lids with amazing reviews. I must admit, I went with the icon airmada. Seems to have pretty decent reviews but wind noise seems to be the downfall on it. Safety wise seems really good. Choosing a helmet is difficult business!! The selections is huge! I do think I'm going to wish I had got a drop down visor though. The two above are beautiful and that feature for ease of transition is really nice. Since I didn't break the bank on the icon, I may see a dual visor bucket sooner than later. See how it goes.
Just came across a couple beautiful harley 883 models on kijiji. Beautiful bikes. Too many CC for me just yet. I'm eyeing a newer silver R3. Well reviewed, low CC for safety and insurance purposes until i earn my stripes :)

Those are some really nice looking lids with amazing reviews. I must admit, I went with the icon airmada. Seems to have pretty decent reviews but wind noise seems to be the downfall on it. Safety wise seems really good. Choosing a helmet is difficult business!! The selections is huge! I do think I'm going to wish I had got a drop down visor though. The two above are beautiful and that feature for ease of transition is really nice. Since I didn't break the bank on the icon, I may see a dual visor bucket sooner than later. See how it goes.
Just came across a couple beautiful harley 883 models on kijiji. Beautiful bikes. Too many CC for me just yet. I'm eyeing a newer silver R3. Well reviewed, low CC for safety and insurance purposes until i earn my stripes :)
buy a used r3, save more coin for the future gear upgrdes.

I'm definitely looking at used. I always look used first if I can. Why take the big depreciation hit. But on average, I see a depreciation around 70 bucks a month and less on these.. i think at that price id rather have it new. Understanding that riding season is short here of course. A 2020 is like 6200 plus tax roughly. I see 2015s for 3500-4000. And 2017s for 4500 and so on. Tough call really

I'm definitely looking at used. I always look used first if I can. Why take the big depreciation hit. But on average, I see a depreciation around 70 bucks a month and less on these.. i think at that price id rather have it new. Understanding that riding season is short here of course. A 2020 is like 6200 plus tax roughly. I see 2015s for 3500-4000. And 2017s for 4500 and so on. Tough call really
you'll likely be able to re sell that 15 in a few years for what you paid for it.

Exactly. A newer used bike with slightly low mileage is ideal for resale in a couple years. You might even make a couple bucks back since you are buying mid season and you could sell it in the spring during peak demand.

Yeah you're right, being as its an extra 50ish a month for that piece of mind, ill do that. I'm sure the insurance company will appreciate that too lol. But next year come renewal, if all goes well... I should see some good savings! From what I've read in the insurance sections on here anyway.

Dropped into Cycle world after work today.. seems like a good spot for affordable gear. I tried on quite a few helmets to figure out my size. Now time to decide on brand and color scheme. Matte black looks sleek but ive read comments on here about the heat it attracts.
Won't go crazy on this purchase but looking at Icon and scorpion helmets.
19 days til class! Wooo

I have a Shoei GT Air II with a drop down tinted visor.
It is an awesome feature. Love it
I read reviews that if is one of the quietest helmets. I cannot confirm as I have not tried any other helmet. Other than my 15 year old shark which is louder.

The tinted visor is so nice that I pretty much have it down all the time. Also it's great for having the main visor up while keeping inner visor down. Protects you from flies while giving you maximum ventilation. I only do this when In heavy traffic or between traffic lights.

Taking this into consideration along with the interested Sena SRL2 system I am very pleased with the helmet. There might be lighter or quieter helmets out there but they probably don't have these additional features.

Last edited:
What size are you.
I have a Joe rocket leather jacket that will be going up for sale soon.

Well I've got until the 28th to get a bike. I want to be insured by the 29th of this month. Day after my course(if all goes well!). Crunched some more numbers.. its more like 35-50 a month these bikes lose to depreciation. Seems so low to me! Compared to a car you buy for 50 grand new and 5 years later its 25 grand.. brand/model dependant of course

@oioioi shoot me a message I may be interested in your jacket! Thanks man.

Well I got my bike, Ninja 400. Scored a sweet deal on it, gently cared for with 2k on the odometer. Completed my M1 exit course with RTI. Shes plated and road ready. Drove around my neighborhood the other night, felt amazing. Ill do that a bunch more before I hit the main streets. Funny how much of an eye opener it is watching ppl roll through stop signs on the bike compared to in my car. Pisses me off now lol.

Funny how much of an eye opener it is watching ppl roll through stop signs on the bike compared to in my car. Pisses me off now lol.

This is just the beginning, avoid riding downtown if you can help it, you quickly realize how little standard road rules are followed with such a broader view range on a bike.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom