New to riding (and to GTAM forums) | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to riding (and to GTAM forums)

Hello!

I just cleared my M1 yesterday, and very excitedly looking forward to taking the MTOhp course in May to get the M2. I would really appreciate some input on:

1. Any excellent deals on helmets, gloves, jackets and boots (or even strong recommendations on great stores across the GTA)
2. Recommendations on which gloves and jackets to look into in terms of great value (i.e. they could be a tad bit expensive but they're worth it in quality)

I'm a bit split on the bikes I'm looking into - I've always really liked the Triumph Bobber but since I have very little experience I wonder if I should start smaller so I'm also looking at a Triumph Trident which is a comparably smaller bike (and less powerful / responsive than the Street Triple).

Welcome!

Personally, I'd say if you can afford the insurance, go for what you want.
If you are younger, maybe start with something around the 300-400cc range?
But if you are older then YOLO...lol

I was looking at the Scout Bobber and Triumph Bobber as well....but I didnt want to shell out 5Gs for 4 months of riding lol.

I purchased all my riding gear from Riders Choice during black friday...stuck with Alpine Stars
Depending on your budget you may want to visit a few stores first to confirm fitment and perhaps consider purchasing online to save a few bucks if you cannot get a deal in store?

Few stores you can consider checking out:

- GP Bikes
- Riders Choice
- Town Moto
- Snow City Marine (but I find they dont have a lot of stock onsite whenever I've gone there)

Edit: that Gold Line edition is drop dead gorgeous...

my22-bobber-goldline-image-block-1410x793.jpg

Not sure about individual stores, but get the best gear you can afford at the time, gear is a very personal thing, and varies as much as your physique, I would try stuff out, in person and buy it

As for bikes...the triumphs are sweet, but maybe start off with something cheap and ugly, drop it a few times, learn a few things, then get the shiny pretty triumph?

Not sure about individual stores, but get the best gear you can afford at the time, gear is a very personal thing, and varies as much as your physique, I would try stuff out, in person and buy it

As for bikes...the triumphs are sweet, but maybe start off with something cheap and ugly, drop it a few times, learn a few things, then get the shiny pretty triumph?
"..., drop it a few times..." -- highlighted one of my biggest fears.

"..., drop it a few times..." -- highlighted one of my biggest fears.
I remember helping a new rider a few years back. She was about 40, a lawyer, and her first ride was a new Bonnie.

I met her on a short group ride - she had 2 tip-overs inside 4 hours. I ended up riding her bike the last 50 km as the drop snapped the clutch and shift levers clean off the bike. She had done this before and carried spare clutch levers and tools, so that helped. The vicegrips on the shift shaft was a little challenging.

Advice: Buy a late model used bike for your first season, try something smaller in a standard or sport touring (up to 300cc). Cruisers are easier to handle so up to 750cc are good for beginners.

I remember helping a new rider a few years back. She was about 40, a lawyer, and her first ride was a new Bonnie.

I met her on a short group ride - she had 2 tip-overs inside 4 hours. I ended up riding her bike the last 50 km as the drop snapped the clutch and shift levers clean off the bike. She had done this before and carried spare clutch levers and tools, so that helped. The vicegrips on the shift shaft was a little challenging.

Advice: Buy a late model used bike for your first season, try something smaller in a standard or sport touring (up to 300cc). Cruisers are easier to handle so up to 750cc are good for beginners.
Yikes! Thanks - makes sense. Really appreciate all of the perspectives here from the more experienced folks. I'll look into some of the more starter friendly options with upright riding positions.

What Mad Max said.
It's true there are 2 kinds of riders. Those who have dropped their bike and those who are going to.
I'm constantly in that damn first group.

Welcome. I would also recommend checking out Honda Rebel 300/500. Maybe push your bike purchase until you get your M2 is done. MTOhp must have a few options of motorcycles to try out. So try them all and see what you like.

All the best!

Edit: I believe there should be a surplus of inventory available later on this year/next year as covid restrictions are lifting and people will no longer have the time they had during the last two years. Just speculating ;)

What's your inseam? determines a fair bit about your bike choice.

Until you are certain this is for you long term ....Kiji is loaded with good female motorcycle gear but you may not feel like running about. Helmet may be a challenge....stick with a local source.
Don't chintz on gloves and boots. Depending on your inseam a boot like the Milwaukee Trooper will give you an inch extra and good protection.
1647198761492.png'
They will give you good grip on all surfaces and despite the look are easy in and out once you get them set up once...then it is one zipper.
As you may well have tip overs decent gloves are a must with some armour.
I like First Gear stuff and Olympia AirGlide gear both pants and jackets for value for money.

Me being a cheapskate I am impressed with HWK gear....and so far it has held up well.
Cost is a magnitude less but of course try ons not available tho everything is returnable

They do fit to size and very happy with the adjustable fit.

BTW ...you will likely drop a bike sometimes as a new rider but you are also not destined to have an onroad accident.
Get a buddy and ride with them away from the GTA horror show.
Also recommend getting some off pavement riding ...there are supervised day trips on light trails...you would have to chase.
You learn how to fall too which is important. Good luck. Riding since I was 17, 74 now and still loving it. Earlier this year.
Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at Mar, 14    2022    5.37.08 AM.jpg

Not the worst starter bike for you unless you are intending on the 400 series.

And I love the fuel mileage...71 mpg which counts these days. But there are others in the 300-500cc range and easy on insurance.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom