New tires for new season 2020 - options, supplier, installer | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New tires for new season 2020 - options, supplier, installer

The Roadsmart 3's rear tire mileage is less when compared to the Road 5's but for the price, they are better value for touring. The Road 5's gave amazing feedback and confidence when leant over however. That feedback and confidence is what dictates my purchases.

Another consideration is how much does it cost you to change the tires? Pro6 wheels on is what, $80/tire? The tire is cheaper, but labor needs to be counted. If a tire lasts longer, then its less frequent labor charges. By how much, not sure. It's why it's higher price compared to it's peers don't bother me too much.

I'm a terrible person to ask that to though. 1 of the Road 5's rears I've replaced because of a V profile making city riding a bit too dangerous (thanks to 2 weeks at the Dragon). Probably another 4,000km left down the middle despite the 10k on that tire but it was too exciting for commuting. The one I did run almost to the cords was almost 16,000km. 790 Duke but that included two >30 minute 'driving on a closed stretch of highway in mexico pinned in 6th' bits that probably did no favors to expected tire wear.

Has anyone used online vendors like Blackfootonline, Pete's or Revco?

I found Pete's to have the best rates so far. Wondering if any of you can share your experience.

The difference on Battalax T32 is over 60$ when I compare Pete's and ACE's pricing.

Pete's has been fine for me. Just remember there are shipping fees on top of their tire prices.

@voyageur also keep in mind that most motorcycle shops will charge more for installation if you don't buy the tires from them...so that $60 savings between Pete's and ACE might be a wash after the fact...double check first...I went with ACE last summer because of this...Adrian is a great guy...

Pete's has been fine for me. Just remember there are shipping fees on top of their tire prices.
This is an important point, which some folks conveniently ignore.

Rear tires for the Guzzi and Thruxton, I'll mount 'em myself:

Fort Nine $367.98 with free shipping.
Pete's $367.14, including shipping.
GP Bikes $350.61 with free shipping.

All prices plus tax.

So who has the best deal?

@voyageur also keep in mind that most motorcycle shops will charge more for installation if you don't buy the tires from them...so that $60 savings between Pete's and ACE might be a wash after the fact...double check first...I went with ACE last summer because of this...Adrian is a great guy...
They quoted me 212 (incl tax) for installation and balancing. That's their discounted pricing which I feel is a bit on the higher side.
I'm going to have Frekeyguy install and balance it for me. Or else take it to Mikeymoto if he is busy.

PS: I live in an apartment and have no tools (and skills) to perform tire changes at this point. So it has to be done from a shop.

Thanks Relax... How much was it when you picked up your tires?

Also, curious how old were your tires (manufacturing date)?

Shipping was around $35, but you can check for yourself once you've added them to your cart. Dates were within a few months of when I bought.

I don't buy all my tires from there, depends on who's got a deal on what I want, or how quickly I need them. A friend of mine got GP to price match Pete's on tires what were out of stock, but GP said they could get them sooner that what Pete said. When the tires arrived, one was over a year old. Wouldn't have bothered me, but he asked them to ship him a replacement, which they did no problem.

This is an important point, which some folks conveniently ignore.

Rear tires for the Guzzi and Thruxton, I'll mount 'em myself:

Fort Nine $367.98 with free shipping.
Pete's $367.14, including shipping.
GP Bikes $350.61 with free shipping.

All prices plus tax.

So who has the best deal?

I was on the fence a few months ago during the Michelin rebate. Pete's was significantly cheaper (I recall around $100) compared to F9 and GP. At the same time, some other tire pairs were more expensive. Pete's pricing does seem to change often. Near the beginning of the rebate was when the price was lowest. As time went on, they got more and more expensive. Not sure if that's because it was a newly released tire that had not been reviewed yet, or something else.

I check a few places, but have found that Pete's almost always has the best net "all in" pricing to my door. Tire dating is good as well as tires often come directly from the distributor and are only 4 - 6 months old max.

Mikeymoto, at $20 / wheel, is my choice for carry in changing the tire + balancing. I think ride in is $40 / wheel, still a great price.

Front tire replacement.
Using a front wheel lift (from the goose neck), remove wheel.
Using a large vice, carefully break the bead all the way around.
Soak the wheel in the sun as long as possible (need a hot day).
Using the ziptie method the tire should be easily removed as the inside diameter should now become increased.
Using Michelin tires are easier because for some reason they are rather pliable.
Soak new tire in the sun.
Zip tie new tire to squish it as much as possible (increasing the inside diameter). It should be easy to install on the rim at that point.

Rear tire removal.
Remove rear wheel and take to the shop (unless you have a giant vice lol

@voyageur i pulled the wheels off the XR and brought them to Ted (rosey toes) with my fresh rubber, he charged me $40 and told me to come back in an hr. This was no notice mid week drop in.

@voyageur i pulled the wheels off the XR and brought them to Ted (rosey toes) with my fresh rubber, he charged me $40 and told me to come back in an hr. This was no notice mid week drop in.

Curious to know if the rumors of wheels coming back all scratched up are true?

I didn’t inspect them but nothing stood out. I rode to work so I’ll go take a gander at lunch.

I've had Ted replace a lot of wheels for me over the years. Nothing ever really stood out as an issue.

Looks like a chip on the front wheel, can’t say it’s from him. No scratches.

Update on my tire situation: Ended up getting Road 4s from Pete's. It was the best deal I could find with delivery to my doorsteps. 380 ish for the tires + tax + 45$ shipping. Battalax T32 would have been cheaper overall with the pricing and manufacturer rebate, but I wanted to try the Road series. The tires are almost a year old but then Road 4s are no longer in production so I expected it to have an older date stamp. As long as they're stored properly I'm good(which I have no way of verifying).

Update on my tire situation: Ended up getting Road 4s from Pete's. It was the best deal I could find with delivery to my doorsteps. 380 ish for the tires + tax + 45$ shipping. Battalax T32 would have been cheaper overall with the pricing and manufacturer rebate, but I wanted to try the Road series. The tires are almost a year old but then Road 4s are no longer in production so I expected it to have an older date stamp. As long as they're stored properly I'm good(which I have no way of verifying).
Just bought 2 sets of Shinko 705s from Revco. One for the vstrom, the other for the DT - 4 tires delivered including tax and delivery $443.

Back
Top Bottom