New Stunting Penalties + E-Bike regulations incoming(?) | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Stunting Penalties + E-Bike regulations incoming(?)

Anyone notice cottage country highway speeds increasing? I passed a stretch on 35, 118 and 60 this weekend where groups of cars were at 125kmh for long stretches. I did a thousand km over the weekend, didn’t see a single cop car.

I used to drive the entire length of the province several times and week and would never see an OPP for months at a time.

Drove 1000km on a camping trip a few weeks ago. Same.

And they wonder why there’s a problem.

Yeah, but it’s enough to deferential a signal from outside anteanas and inside antennas. Keyfob doesn’t measure how far it’s outside of the cabin it’s located.

Actually, that’s exactly how they work. That’s now proximity door unlock features work, as well as proximity push button ignition.

Actually, that’s exactly how they work. That’s now proximity door unlock features work, as well as proximity push button ignition.
Nope. System, at least in BMW, relies on a array of the external (2 on each side under the doors and 1 under the rear bumper) and internal antennas (front, middle, 2 in a trunk). The system doesn't care how close you are to the vehicle as long as you are in the range of the external antenna, and a signal from the external antenna is stronger than from the internal one, so door cannot be unlocked from the outside with you (and keys) inside.

Your FOB unlocks and remote starts using a 315/433Mhz signal.

Your passive entry and push button start uses a low power and low frequency signal 134.2 kHz to detect your presence and start the car.

The 134.2 kHz is the same as the old immobilizer keys. But the FOB having it's own power source actually has the ability to respond. And this also works as the back up, you can press the Start button on most cars and a FOB without a battery will use 134.2 kHz both ways to start the car.

So were the cops charged with tampering with the paperwork?
In the news story I linked, the VPD chief seems irritated that they're having to waste time with things like calibrating breathalyzers when they could be out on the streets busting heads instead. After all, every officer is perfectly capable of identifying a criminal in sight, so all that court business is just a waste of time and money that could be spent on the police budget instead...

According to them, they didn't tamper, the guilty got off on a technicality, so definitely no charges. Even the MADD rep says he hopes the folks who had cases dismissed consider themselves lucky and learned a valuable lesson. There's zero attention paid to the price paid by innocent drivers, or the possibility that this may be a more widespread problem. Speed measuring devices need calibration too, and being 10 km/h off could make the difference between a fine and a ban. I know I've read stories here where riders have been accused of speeds that were impossible. The guy who got the 'world's fastest speeding ticket' was accused of doing 205 mph on an RC51. Believe me, an RC51 wouldn't do 330 km/h if it was dropped from a plane...

Maybe reading Judge Dredd comics has made me more cynical about this stuff than necessary, but the reason I bring up my buddy's story is that many seem fine with giving more and more roadside power to the police on the assumption that it will only affect others who 'deserve it'. Which is all fine until you're caught in the net...

Even the MADD rep says he hopes the folks who had cases dismissed consider themselves lucky and learned a valuable lesson.
It is my understanding that the woman that started MADD is no longer involved because it had become party central for a new temperance movement. Their expense ratio apparently got so out of whack some years back that they were about to lose charitable status. "Let's have our next executive meeting in a five star hotel in Paris (but we won't order Champagne.)"

I met one soliciting at a mall and it very quickly became obvious that she had little interest in road safety and lots in pushing abstinence. Is deception now an acceptable Christian trait?

It is my understanding that the woman that started MADD is no longer involved because it had become party central for a new temperance movement. Their expense ratio apparently got so out of whack some years back that they were about to lose charitable status. "Let's have our next executive meeting in a five star hotel in Paris (but we won't order Champagne.)"

I met one soliciting at a mall and it very quickly became obvious that she had little interest in road safety and lots in pushing abstinence. Is deception now an acceptable Christian trait?
Not sure what MADD has to do with being Christian (communion wine and monks make great beer), but otherwise, broadly agreed. It strikes me as an organisation that has mostly succeeded in its aims, and the only way to justify the scale is to push for more and more restrictive legislation. They successfully got the BAC limit in BC lowered to 0.05, which has been a problem because many breathalyzers aren't accurate at that level. One drink is enough for many to blow over.

And by staking out that moral high ground (if you disagree you must be advocating drunk driving and death!), it's very easy for politicians to go along with the lobbying to join the easy demonisation...

Not sure what MADD has to do with being Christian

The temperance movements of the past, and what MADD has warped itself to, have been WASP groups the last two centuries.

Which is why they pushed for prohibition heavily before the 1920 census as they knew no politician would support it knowing most Americans were now European mainlanders who supported alcohol.

The temperance movements of the past, and what MADD has warped itself to, have been WASP groups the last two centuries.

Which is why they pushed for prohibition heavily before the 1920 census as they knew no politician would support it knowing most Americans were now European mainlanders who supported alcohol.
Sure, but if you're going to stretch your connections down to the atom like that, I would say that temperance and prohibition had as much or more to do with the suffragette movement and proto-feminism than certain teetotal Christian denominations. MADD is, and always has been, secular as an organisation with no direct links to any particular denomination or religion.

I won't speak for @nobbie48 , but I suspect he was referring more to a certain 'church lady' type that spends a lot of time scolding and huffing about how others need to be more upstanding. From that standpoint, I definitely get the link. But it's not a denominational thing as much as it is an individual personality thing...

Sure, but if you're going to stretch your connections down to the atom like that, I would say that temperance and prohibition had as much or more to do with the suffragette movement and proto-feminism than certain teetotal Christian denominations.

It was pretty religious based, and by extension racial. The WCTU was the largest organization before prohibition, "C" is for Christian by the way.

At its founding in 1874, the stated purpose of the WCTU was to create a "sober and pure world" by abstinence, purity, and evangelical Christianity.

They spent large amounts of their budget before prohibition on "educating" immigrants from Catholic countries like Ireland and more alcohol friendly protestant countries like Germany on the "dangers" of alcohol.

It was pretty religious based, and by extension racial. The WCTU was the largest organization before prohibition, "C" is for Christian by the way.

They spent large amounts of their budget before prohibition on "educating" immigrants from Catholic countries like Ireland and more alcohol friendly protestant countries like Germany on the "dangers" of alcohol.
YMCA has a C in it too. It was the thing to do at the time. Yes, some denominations were vocal in their support of temperance, but to define it as a Christian issue ignores the fact that at the time and place, anything that was considered a moral issue was also 'Christian' by default. Some denominations were aligned with the cause, absolutely, and some still are, no different to elements of other faiths or even health movements.

All of which, still, has absolutely nothing to do with MADD except for the (stereotypical) personality type outlined in my post above. There are obviously connections to be drawn with groups such as the WCTU as modern proponents of the same goals, but they are not a rebrand or outgrowth, nor do they have any links to religion or denominations or faith, formal or informal, explicit or implicit. MADD is not the Salvation Army, nor is it the Christian Children's Fund.

Back
Top Bottom