New Stunting Penalties + E-Bike regulations incoming(?) | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Stunting Penalties + E-Bike regulations incoming(?)

MaksTO

Please delete if this was posted already, though I didn't see it on this sub.

READ HERE

"Licence suspensions also increase if you’re convicted of the charge. For your first offence, you’re without your licence for a minimum of one to three years; for your second, it’s a minimum three to 10 years. Get caught three times, and you get a lifetime licence suspension that may be reduced at a later date — but on fourth or subsequent offences, it’s a lifetime suspension, period.

A heavy foot will also get you in more trouble when the posted limit is less than 80 km/h. Now, if you’re doing 40 km/h over that limit – it used to be 50 km/h – you’ll get hit with stunt driving, and with the penalties mentioned above."

"... and new standards for e-bikes, which will be classified as bicycle-style, mopeds, or motorcycle-style."

Anyone have any more info on how they plan to crack down on e-bikes? Would love to see that happen... love the concept... but why does everyone on an e-bike drive like an absolute psychopath.

Please delete if this was posted already, though I didn't see it on this sub.

READ HERE

"Licence suspensions also increase if you’re convicted of the charge. For your first offence, you’re without your licence for a minimum of one to three years; for your second, it’s a minimum three to 10 years. Get caught three times, and you get a lifetime licence suspension that may be reduced at a later date — but on fourth or subsequent offences, it’s a lifetime suspension, period.

A heavy foot will also get you in more trouble when the posted limit is less than 80 km/h. Now, if you’re doing 40 km/h over that limit – it used to be 50 km/h – you’ll get hit with stunt driving, and with the penalties mentioned above."

"... and new standards for e-bikes, which will be classified as bicycle-style, mopeds, or motorcycle-style."

Anyone have any more info on how they plan to crack down on e-bikes? Would love to see that happen... love the concept... but why does everyone on an e-bike drive like an absolute psychopath.
"stunting" (in name only) is part of 272. There are a couple threads on it.

Didn't know about ebikes. Good. Bleeping stupid as the liberals implemented them.

"stunting" (in name only) is part of 272. There are a couple threads on it.

Didn't know about ebikes. Good. Bleeping stupid as the liberals implemented them.
Agreed re e-bikes. I hope there's some way to enforce their BS more strictly...

I'm also interested in the permanent license suspension for 4 stunt charges. Not sure if it was a thing they did before? I've always hoped for an option for permanent license suspension in Canada, as some people just should not be allowed to drive in my mind... Most potential candidates I see are in the DT core and likely not doing 40 over though. i.e lifted/widened F-150 dudes gunning it in the parked lane off a light with one wheel on the sidewalk before cutting off the entire left lane to get ahead... I've seen that at least half a dozen times on St.Clair this year and it scares the living hell out of me...

I'm also interested in the permanent license suspension for 4 stunt charges. Not sure if it was a thing they did before? I've always hoped for an option for permanent license suspension in Canada, as some people just should not be allowed to drive in my mind... Most potential candidates I see are in the DT core and likely not doing 40 over though. i.e lifted/widened F-150 dudes gunning it in the parked lane off a light with one wheel on the sidewalk before cutting off the entire left lane to get ahead... I've seen that at least half a dozen times on St.Clair this year and it scares the living hell out of me...
It's political BS not actually going to happen. The vast majority of 172 charges don't stick in court. Something like 75% don't get convicted of 172. Therefore to collect four convictions, you'd probably need to catch about 16 charges. Not really protecting anyone, just pandering.

New eBike regs are sorely needed, but are totally useless with enforcement.

Given as how there are already laws in place specific to eBikes that go pretty much entirely unenforced, this is just much ado about nothing. The crazies running around on these things suddenly won't change their ways when another toothless law goes on the books.

New eBike regs are sorely needed, but are totally useless with enforcement.

Given as how there are already laws in place specific to eBikes that go pretty much entirely unenforced, this is just much ado about nothing. The crazies running around on these things suddenly won't change their ways when another toothless law goes on the books.
Well, since douggie obviously believes that roadside seizure is a reasonable approach, they could do the same thing with e-bikes. "You can have it back when you pay $1000 to get it out of impound".

I know it's a long-dead horse I'm beating, but the real beef I have with the heavy-handed suspension penalties is how they can ruin livelihoods. Lots of folks in Canada need to drive as part of maintaining employment, and a one year suspension could destroy a career. Places like Switzerland with similarly draconian laws "only" suspend for three months, which an employer might accommodate. No way an employer accepts a year. They have much higher fines, which I think is a more reasonable punishment...

And before anyone gets too high on their horse about how anyone who speeds deserves what they get, there are scenarios that could catch many of us. I recently did a ride along Lake Erie, and there's lots of spots that drop from 80 to 50 or 40 with only one or two signs to warn, some of which can be hard to see because of foliage. Say you're doing ~90 in the 80 - a very common overage in Ontario that won't get you pulled over anywhere - and you miss the sign when it drops to 50. If you get clocked by an unsympathetic cop who hates motorcyclists, you too could have your license suspended for a year.

There's a reason we don't sentence people to death for shoplifting, but there doesn't seem to be much logic here. Has there been a rash of speeding-related deaths to spur such extreme consequences?

The towing legislation is sorely needed, but shouldn't be folded in here.

Omnibus bills in general are a mechanism of political evil. Throw something in the bill to make it sound good, bury lots of completely unrelated evil in there and if anyone dares to question you go "won't you please think of the children" on them.

So to play devils advocate...for those who feel this is "draconian" or unjustified in some fashion....

What do you propose?

Anyone who spends a lot of time on the road for work will tell you that speeding is a major issue, and one that is growing at a rapid pace here in Ontario. Anyone who feels otherwise doesn't get out enough.

I know it's a long-dead horse I'm beating, but the real beef I have with the heavy-handed suspension penalties is how they can ruin livelihoods. Lots of folks in Canada need to drive as part of maintaining employment, and a one year suspension could destroy a career. Places like Switzerland with similarly draconian laws "only" suspend for three months, which an employer might accommodate. No way an employer accepts a year. They have much higher fines, which I think is a more reasonable punishment...

And before anyone gets too high on their horse about how anyone who speeds deserves what they get, there are scenarios that could catch many of us. I recently did a ride along Lake Erie, and there's lots of spots that drop from 80 to 50 or 40 with only one or two signs to warn, some of which can be hard to see because of foliage. Say you're doing ~90 in the 80 - a very common overage in Ontario that won't get you pulled over anywhere - and you miss the sign when it drops to 50. If you get clocked by an unsympathetic cop who hates motorcyclists, you too could have your license suspended for a year.

There's a reason we don't sentence people to death for shoplifting, but there doesn't seem to be much logic here. Has there been a rash of speeding-related deaths to spur such extreme consequences?

i realize you gave 1 scenario as an example only however;

if the sign is obstructed you have a case, take a picture and bring it to court.

if you`re willfully speeding, yeah you roll the dice.

So to play devils advocate...for those who feel this is "draconian" or unjustified in some fashion....

What do you propose?

Anyone who spends a lot of time on the road for work will tell you that speeding is a major issue, and one that is growing at a rapid pace here in Ontario. Anyone who feels otherwise doesn't get out enough.
As a first cut, absolutely zero penalty roadside. It has been proven that some cops abuse 172 with no repercussions and many innocent victims. Penalty after conviction only. I think an interlock would be entirely reasonable. GPS in your car for one year after conviction that automatically mails you tickets if you speed. Corrects your driving and gives you time to relearn habits. Basically you have proven that you are incapable of following the law so they give you a nanny to make sure you do. Same as DUI interlock, get caught driving a car without the GPS and get a horrendous kick in the nuts. For prillers point about driving for work, allow a portable device (or phone app?) so you can hop into any vehicle you want as long as the tracking is active while you are in the seat. If it's an app, allow it to show the current drive so a cop can see if you just turned it on after the cherries lit (I was thinking timer but you could always say that you started the drive 10 seconds before the cop saw you).

Last edited:
They have much higher fines, which I think is a more reasonable punishment...
My only issue with this is that fines aren't proportional to income. Work a minimum wage mcdonalds gig and are running late to work and get pulled over? That might be half a months pay.

Get a speeding ticket in your 911? You probably don't give two S***s

Not to mention the insurance hit :/

If I get a speeding ticket on the bike, I'm done. Point blank. Can't afford to pay $400 in insurance monthly so that's the end of the sport for me. S1000 bro living in city place working on Bay St. probably doesn't care in the slightest, yet his bad behavior makes cops look at everyone poorly, ultimately ruining the fun for everyone.

Definitely hard to find a line where the punishment is equal to the crime, but does not disproportionately screw the wrong people.

My only issue with this is that fines aren't proportional to income. Work a minimum wage mcdonalds gig and are running late to work and get pulled over? That might be half a months pay.

Get a speeding ticket in your 911? You probably don't give two S***s

Not to mention the insurance hit :/

If I get a speeding ticket on the bike, I'm done. Point blank. Can't afford to pay $400 in insurance monthly so that's the end of the sport for me. S1000 bro living in city place working on Bay St. probably doesn't care in the slightest, yet his bad behavior makes cops look at everyone poorly, ultimately ruining the fun for everyone.

Definitely hard to find a line where the punishment is equal to the crime, but does not disproportionately screw the wrong people.
Everyone is equal under the law and that door swings both ways.

Everyone is equal under the law and that door swings both ways.
Equal laws make sense, I think there is a very reasonable argument for unequal penalties. We sort of have that already as courts often decide to go under guideline when asked but setting a guideline rate that would make a venture capitalist care about the fine would be ridiculous. I would say I am ok with penalties related to income (10% of previous years net income for stunting conviction?) but we all know there are some very high net worth individuals with very little "income" so that system isn't perfect. The more I think about it, the more I like my GPS solution. Encourages you to follow the law and generates a crap ton of avoidable fines if you choose not to. Even with unlimited money, having the box beep at you and issue a ticket every km you drive begins to wear on you.

Equal laws make sense, I think there is a very reasonable argument for unequal penalties. We sort of have that already as courts often decide to go under guideline when asked but setting a guideline rate that would make a venture capitalist care about the fine would be ridiculous. I would say I am ok with penalties related to income (10% of previous years net income for stunting conviction?) but we all know there are some very high net worth individuals with very little "income" so that system isn't perfect. The more I think about it, the more I like my GPS solution. Encourages you to follow the law and generates a crap ton of avoidable fines if you choose not to. Even with unlimited money, having the box beep at you and issue a ticket every km you drive begins to wear on you.
Not sure i can get behind that

If people don't want to suffer they shouldn't break the law, that's why punishment exists. Maybe 5 years in jail doesn't mean **** you, but what if i have 3 kids and this is going to break my family. Do i deserve special treatment? No.

EDIT to your EDIT: reminds me of demolition man, where in the future he got a ticket printed for violations wherever he went.

Not sure i can get behind that

If people don't want to suffer they shouldn't break the law, that's why punishment exists. Maybe 5 years in jail doesn't mean **** you, but what if i have 3 kids and this is going to break my family. Do i deserve special treatment? No.

EDIT to your EDIT: reminds me of demolition man, where in the future he got a ticket printed for violations wherever he went.
That's fair enough. I was thinking more in terms of ramping up penalties in cases where the "punishment" would have little to no effect on the person receiving it but I understand your point and that is a very reasonable position.

That's fair enough. I was thinking more in terms of ramping up penalties in cases where the "punishment" would have little to no effect on the person receiving it but I understand your point and that is a very reasonable position.
there are perks to being wealthy, but I would say revisiting the scale of the punishment outside the set amounts is a Pandora’s box.

I like the GPS idea too. the DUI parallel you made before is very rational and I would 100% vote for this.

I spend a lot of time on the road for work (hence why it's a pet issue for me), and respectfully I disagree that speeding in and of itself is a major issue. There's lots of situations where speeding is definitely a factor, especially on busy highways, but that's as much about the abrupt lane changes as it is about the speed itself. I think tailgating is a much larger problem, personally, especially when combined with distracted driving. How often do you see a 7 or 8 car pileup because somebody slammed on the brakes? Far more often than we should...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating speeding as excusable in most circumstances, especially in certain contexts like residential neighbourhoods. But my point is that by getting more and more heavy handed, you end up hammering otherwise safe drivers as part of a crackdown that has a negligible effect on true road safety beyond satisfying a petty urge to punish those that irritate us. This is especially true as speed limits are lowered across the province to parking lot speeds in many areas. Weirdly, I have yet to hear about carnage on the QEW between Hamilton and St Catharines where they raised the limit to 110...

i realize you gave 1 scenario as an example only however;

if the sign is obstructed you have a case, take a picture and bring it to court.

if you`re willfully speeding, yeah you roll the dice.
There's plenty of other examples, and it's all well and good to assume the legal system will smile nicely on your good reasons until it doesn't.

Case in point:

A buddy got charged with drunk driving in BC while driving home the morning after a Whitecaps game. BC has a similar roadside system for DUI, with no easy system for appeal. You blow over, you're done driving for 90 days and your vehicle is impounded immediately. Forget court. This is doubly complicated because they have a two-tier system with one punishment of a BAC of 0.05 and another for 0.08 and greater. He blew 0.09, so full meal deal.

Fortunately for him, he was well off enough to pay a lawyer a lot of money to fight his case, which initially got a total stonewall from the appeals and arbitration system. As he 100% knew he was fully sober (wasn't particularly drunk the night before and slept 8+ hours in his office to be extra safe), he was willing to go to the wall to fight, and so kept paying the lawyer. Eventually, out of pure luck, someone noticed that the breathalyser calibration sheets were all identical except for the serial number written in for each unit. Turns out the cops were calibrating one unit with the serial number blank, photocopying that sheet, then writing in the serial number in for each uncalibrated unit.

So after three months with a suspended license, thousands in mandatory impound fees, and a mountain of legal bills, the arbitrator quietly cancels his ticket and tells them to go away. He got the money for his ticket back, but no refund on the impound fees and zero compensation for the legal bills. If he was some delivery driver making a lower wage, dependant on his job to feed his family, it would have been a much different outcome, as the money wouldn't have been there to pay the lawyer and nobody would have been the wiser. A number of other folks had their 'convictions' thrown out, which must have been a pleasant surprise for them...

Here's a news story covering the incident:

Drunk driving cases tossed due to bad paperwork

(Much to my buddy's chagrin, the tone is that a bunch of dangerous criminals got off scott-free on a technicality, rather than the true story of police potentially ruining lives through a combination of laziness and lack of due care. The chiefs quote about wanting to keep cops on the street rather than wasting time with paperwork was particularly galling, as it implies that police officers judgement alone is enough to determine guilt or innocence.)

My long-winded point is that leaving guilt to be determined roadside creates a situation where the onus is on the defendant to prove innocence rather than the crown to prove otherwise. By combining these 'efficient' conviction systems with brutal penalties leaves a lot of room for people to have their lives turned upside down for anything ranging between a brief moment of inattention to full-blown evidence manufacturing. As @GreyGhost has pointed out, there are multiple examples of police getting these charges very, very wrong.

As a first cut, absolutely zero penalty roadside. It has been proven that some cops abuse 172 with no repercussions and many innocent victims. Penalty after conviction only. I think an interlock would be entirely reasonable. GPS in your car for one year after conviction that automatically mails you tickets if you speed. Corrects your driving and gives you time to relearn habits. Basically you have proven that you are incapable of following the law so they give you a nanny to make sure you do. Same as DUI interlock, get caught driving a car without the GPS and get a horrendous kick in the nuts. For prillers point about driving for work, allow a portable device (or phone app?) so you can hop into any vehicle you want as long as the tracking is active while you are in the seat. If it's an app, allow it to show the current drive so a cop can see if you just turned it on after the cherries lit (I was thinking timer but you could always say that you started the drive 10 seconds before the cop saw you).
Were I (God forbid) convicted for this, I'd happily pay for whatever gear is required to keep my job. What I would lose for not being able to drive would far outweigh any costs here. If they can do it for DUI, they must be able to find a solution here...

Sweden and Switzerland both calculate fines based on a combination of speed and net worth of the speeder. This has led to fines in excess of $1M in some cases. As Canada is so terrible at figuring out how much people actually earn for tax purposes (read: the CRA doesn't really want to), you'd still have plenty of wealthy folks paying minimum wage fines, but I'm personally fine with those who make more paying more.

Back
Top Bottom