New Riders Needs Advice on M1 Exit Road Test | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Riders Needs Advice on M1 Exit Road Test

How old are you?

Young, no experience, and R6 are going to be an insane insurance combination right out of the gate. M1 is the cherry on top.

Get rid of the R6. Get some quotes on a 125, 250 or 300 (e.g. R3) before buying again. Even then, most places won't touch you without an M2.

Be patient young padawan. Insurance in this province is most assuredly not on the side of the young motorcyclist. Age, experience and years insured are the sorts of things that slowly bring rates down; none happens overnight.

Haha..looks like 'YammieR616' joined GTA Motorcycle June 5, 2019. Trolling for kicks? Story seems ridiculous.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Would hardly be the first time someone bought a motorcycle they soon realized they couldn’t afford to insure, and came here to post about it....

Haha..looks like 'YammieR616' joined GTA Motorcycle June 5, 2019. Trolling for kicks? Story seems ridiculous.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

You would think so but I know more than one person who went out and bought a 600 as a first bike without getting insurance quotes first. My step brother made it two months in before cancelling the $650/mo insurance and selling.

People see shiny things and can't say no.

Thank-you for the the response and talking the time to read and respond in a timely fashion.

I understand i still only have my M1 but i read on the post I responded from that a member obtained insurance with his/her M1 as long as he or she had proof they were taking the motorcycle safety course. Was wondering if that would be possible for me as well. If not I will have to wait the 60 days then register for my M2 with proof of passing a motorcycle safety course.

Also I am 28 years old if that matters.

When you say you don't believe my post or sounds to good to be true, what are you sceptical about? I have no reason to lie, it's not as if you will be able to get me insured or get me a lower price.
I rode the bike already two times in a large warehouse parking lot, had no issues with control or any manoeuvres required for street riding or emergency situations.

But nonetheless my main reason for messaging you was to gain some insight/information on what to do or which insurance companies would be best to contact, as my insurance brokers quote was $11,000 plus a year and was told it would not change much even with my M2. Just want to know if that is correct and if that quote is what I should be expecting from all other companies.

Let me know what you think and if you could point me in the right direction in terms of what to expect on quotes and which companies to contact.

Thank-you, appreciate your response.

Try Dalton Timmins. I don't have personal experience but from other posts here they look the best for new riders.

It's not the M1/M2 licence causing the prohibitive quote. It's the years licenced and years with a motorcycle policy - I'm assuming zero for you for both of these. This combined with the Yamaha R6 is most likely a no-go from most insurance companies hence the facility rate quote.

You're probably going to have to trade the R6 on a smaller bike for a few years to get that insurance coverage history. Also to pass the M2 exit test and start building your years-licenced experience. Ask your broker to quote you on a Yamaha R3 or a CBR250. Even those may come with a healthy quote.

And I'd suggest caution on riding the bike. If you get caught for no-insurance, you'll be out of the game for many more years. There's some other sob story posts on here about this.

But nonetheless my main reason for messaging you was to gain some insight/information on what to do or which insurance companies would be best to contact, as my insurance brokers quote was $11,000 plus a year and was told it would not change much even with my M2. Just want to know if that is correct and if that quote is what I should be expecting from all other companies.

Let me know what you think and if you could point me in the right direction in terms of what to expect on quotes and which companies to contact.

Thank-you, appreciate your response.
Your choice of bike is the problem. In the current market, you need to be atleast 30 years old with a full M license, and preferably have couple years of continuous motorcycle insurance history to be able to insure supersports (like the R6, R1 etc.) at a decent rate. Even then there only a handful of insurers left willing to underwrite these bikes. The market is shrinking and rules change every year (for the worst). Your best best is to either sell or tarp up your R6 in storage for 2 years till you turn 30, and get your M, and in the meantime get something smaller like others have suggested.

That bike can kill you if you don't have prior riding experience. Probably in your best interest to learn how to ride properly on a smaller bike before upgrading to something like an R6. It's how most of us did it.

How old are you?

Young, no experience, and R6 are going to be an insane insurance combination right out of the gate. M1 is the cherry on top.

I'm 28, I knew Insurance would be expensive and I am willing to pay it. My question was about getting insurance this a M1 license and not paying $12,000 a year. I,m fine with waiting until i get my M2. I would have no problem paying $650 a month as someone posted but $1000 a month is a bit crazy.

I'm 28, I knew Insurance would be expensive and I am willing to pay it. My question was about getting insurance this a M1 license and not paying $12,000 a year. I,m fine with waiting until i get my M2. I would have no problem paying $650 a month as someone posted but $1000 a month is a bit crazy.
You're ok with paying $7800 a year for something you would use maybe only 6 months? With the amount of precipitation we're getting this year, that's even harder to justify. If you do go ahead with it, try not to become a statistic for your and our sakes.

Would hardly be the first time someone bought a motorcycle they soon realized they couldn’t afford to insure, and came here to post about it....

First of all i can afford it, just wanted more information as I was reading the tread talking about insurance from a member that works in the industry and wanted more information on what prices i should expect to pay with my M2. Aso if possible get insured with just my M1.
What would be a expected quote in your opinion then?

You would think so but I know more than one person who went out and bought a 600 as a first bike without getting insurance quotes first. My step brother made it two months in before cancelling the $650/mo insurance and selling.

$650, I'd happily pay that. If I could not get insurance I would just use it as a track bike until I could get reasonable quotes. So not knowing the person and there history or what there plans are for the bike is a unreasonable assumption.

And I'd suggest caution on riding the bike. If you get caught for no-insurance, you'll be out of the game for many more years. There's some other sob story posts on here about this.
I don't ride on public roads, from my understanding your ok as long as it is private property. If thats not true let me know because yeah definitely don't want to get caught without insurance.

Your choice of bike is the problem. In the current market, you need to be atleast 30 years old with a full M license, and preferably have couple years of continuous motorcycle insurance history to be able to insure supersports (like the R6, R1 etc.) at a decent rate. Even then there only a handful of insurers left willing to underwrite these bikes. The market is shrinking and rules change every year (for the worst). Your best best is to either sell or tarp up your R6 in storage for 2 years till you turn 30, and get your M, and in the meantime get something smaller like others have suggested.

That bike can kill you if you don't have prior riding experience. Probably in your best interest to learn how to ride properly on a smaller bike before upgrading to something like an R6. It's how most of us did it.
Yes, thats understandable,I do feel though once i get my M2 I could get insured for $6-8 thousand which I am willing to pay. If not track bike only.

You're ok with paying $7800 a year for something you would use maybe only 6 months? With the amount of precipitation we're getting this year, that's even harder to justify. If you do go ahead with it, try not to become a statistic for your and our sakes.
I am fine with that rate. I do have prior experience riding dirt bikes and other sport bikes, so I'm not a new motorcyclist that can barely shift gears lol

Yeah I like shiny things lol, love how people make assumptions. All this for someone who wanted to gain some insight from a knowledgeable person who works in the industry.

your exact story pops up over and over on every motorcycle forum (and usually ends poorly). You're going to be paying through the nose for a sportbike - the insurance company is basically betting you're going to crash it.

Back
Top Bottom