New Riders Needs Advice on M1 Exit Road Test | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Riders Needs Advice on M1 Exit Road Test

Book an M1X course somewhere and just have her do it. Lots in the GTA are probably full now for the next few weekends, but don't be afraid to travel - make a little weekend getaway out of it if need be.

Just do it. The longer you think about it and try to find other ways to work around the issue, the more full the courses will become.

She will learn important things. Once you have the certificate showing she passed many insurance companies will underwrite even an M1 rider as an M2 licence holder since they know it's just a matter of the 60 day technicality at that point before they're M2 anyways.

Problem solved.

My wife started practicing on an unplated bike before we got the paperwork in order. We are actually very fortunate to live very near the parking lot where the Learning Curves course takes place. We literally just walked the bike over to the parking lot for her first lesson. There's no law that says you can't walk a bike down the sidewalk. We looked pretty weird but didn't really care. It made for a great video:

I used the same technique to walk the bike to the local Canadian Tire to get safetied and get my plates. It was two km so I got a good workout. Passed a bunch of bikers and when they saw me walking it they thought I had stolen it :) It's all legal now and we rode to the second lesson:

Let me know if there's anything else you needed to know. Good luck!

Last edited:
Surprised no one has suggested off road training like “Trail Tours” or the one working out of/near Horseshoe Resort.

OP, they will teach her the basics and she can practice/learn in a safe and legal environment.

They supply all the gear and the motorcycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife started practicing on an unplanted bike before we got the paperwork in order. We are actually very fortunate to live very near the parking lot where the Learning Curves course takes place. We literally just walked the bike over to the parking lot for her first lesson. There's no law that says you can't walk a bike down the sidewalk. We looked pretty weird but didn't really care. It made for a great video:

I used the same technique to walk the bike to the local Canadian Tire to get safetied and get my plates. It was two km so I got a good workout. Passed a bunch of bikers and when they saw me walking it they thought I had stolen it :) It's all legal now and we rode to the second lesson:

Let me know if there's anything else you needed to know. Good luck!

Thanks for this, actually thought about this, we have a huge parking lot close by that doesn't get used on Sundays, so is a perfect spot.

Unfortunately my 500lb Vstrom is just too big for her (in many ways).

congrats to your wife for learning to ride.

Surprised no one has suggested off road training like “Trail Tours” or the one working out of/near Horseshoe Resort.

OP, they will teach her the basics and she can practice/learn in a safe and legal environment.

They supply all the gear and the motorcycle.

@Robbo Great suggestion, thanks for this, will definitely look into this. Exactly what I am looking for.

@Robbo Great suggestion, thanks for this, will definitely look into this. Exactly what I am looking for.
Could also try these guys.

Please view this ad:

Motorcycle Instructor {Bike Rental,M2/M,Preparation,Tour},

Price: $ 155

Download the application from the Google Play Store.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, that will be happening.

What I want to know is, how can I practice riding outside of the training course if a person can’t get a bike insured with an M1?

What I want to know is, how can I practice riding outside of the training course if a person can’t get a bike insured with an M1?
Just FYI, Dalton Timmis agreed to insure me (at an M2+course rate) with my M1 and emailed proof that I registered to a riding / M1 edit course.

Meaning that even though my course begins May 30 I can drive as soon as I give DT a phone call.

Worth a shot once you register to a course.

Could also try these guys.

Please view this ad:

Motorcycle Instructor {Bike Rental,M2/M,Preparation,Tour},

Price: $ 155

Download the application from the Google Play Store.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
These guys don't provide insurance with their bikes. I messaged and asked for a buddy who wants to do his M test and needed a bike rental.
They suggested I go with GTA exotics instead

Last edited:
These guys don't provide insurance with their bikes. I messaged and asked for a buddy who wants to do his M test and needed a bike rental.
They suggested I go with GTA exotics instead
What do you mean they don't provide insurance? You are getting a bike from them to ride on the street. If they don't provide insurance, where does the mandatory insurance come from? Maybe they don't provide collision insurance but do include liability (until their insurance company finds out and cancels them)?

Just FYI, Dalton Timmis agreed to insure me (at an M2+course rate) with my M1 and emailed proof that I registered to a riding / M1 edit course.

Meaning that even though my course begins May 30 I can drive as soon as I give DT a phone call.

Most likely after you send them the paperwork that you completed the safety course and passed your M1 exit test.

Most likely after you send them the paperwork that you completed the safety course and passed your M1 exit test.

He specifically said if I haven’t taken the course yet (I told them it’s in June), but am enrolled then they can give me M2 rates now and I can be on the road.

But yes, I have to send them my certificate after the course as well.

Last edited:
What do you mean they don't provide insurance? You are getting a bike from them to ride on the street. If they don't provide insurance, where does the mandatory insurance come from? Maybe they don't provide collision insurance but do include liability (until their insurance company finds out and cancels them)?
What they're doing is illegal. Renting out bikes without their insurer's knowledge. If insurer were to find out, they would drop coverage.

You don't need to practice before training, there is no real benefit in doing so, you're more likely to stumble on a bad habit self-schooling that training has to unwind.

Rider training is the starting point, a good portion of the beginner course have never twisted a throttle, virtually everyone passes after a weekend of instruction.

If you really want to practice before doing the M1X course my suggestion is to ride a bicycle. It sounds stupid but when I took the course soo many people had terrible 2-wheel balance and struggled just riding in a straight line - think little kid taking the training wheels off bad. A lot of adults haven’t ridden a bike in years and throwing a motor into the mix just makes the learning curve slower. The principles of riding a bicycle and a motorcycle at a slow speed are virtually the same.

Beyond that explaining how a clutch/shifting works will be another big help when you get to the course. A lot of people wasted most of the course just trying to figure out those two parts. Multiple people failed because they couldn’t find neutral or shift consistently/safely. If you already have a basic understanding you can focus on the actual riding.

I recently obtained my M1 and I am registered in the M1 exit course to obtain my M2. With just my M1 I am finding it extremely difficult to obtain insurance coverage and/or have been given crazy annual prices to get insurance on my newly purchased yamaha R6. If you don't mind me asking which insurance company will insure me with just my M1 until I complete my safety/training course, which i am registered in already. I also have been riding dirt bikes for years and have rode friends motorcycles in the past when i had my M1 but let expire as I was not planning on getting a bike at that time. I know that they can't take that into account, but I have experience in riding motorcycles which is making the situation frustrating as i would like to go out and ride/practise.
Any information will be appreciated, thanks.

I recently obtained my M1 and I am registered in the M1 exit course to obtain my M2. With just my M1 I am finding it extremely difficult to obtain insurance coverage and/or have been given crazy annual prices to get insurance on my newly purchased yamaha R6. If you don't mind me asking which insurance company will insure me with just my M1 until I complete my safety/training course, which i am registered in already. I also have been riding dirt bikes for years and have rode friends motorcycles in the past when i had my M1 but let expire as I was not planning on getting a bike at that time. I know that they can't take that into account, but I have experience in riding motorcycles which is making the situation frustrating as i would like to go out and ride/practise.

You have two separate insurance challenges - one related to M1 license only, the second related to trying to get coverage for a R6 with no m/c insurance coverage history and perhaps also related to being of a young age. I’m not sure if I really believe your post, sounds too ‘good’ to be true.

Back
Top Bottom