New Rider from Etobicoke | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider from Etobicoke

thiagomvr

Hey All!

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum! New rider here, already did the Learning Curve course (last class of 2023), waiting the 60 days to grab my M2. Browsing used motorcycles and insurance! I am going through all the documentation on the forum for beginners riders, but feel free to drop any tips on how to get used beginner bikes on a fair price, the ones I liked until now are pretty close to the general cost of the new ones.

Thanks!

welcome,

used bike prices are typically fairly high because they are bought/sold continuously. However, recent market conditions have raised them even further. Still the best choice because most people do have a mishap early with their first bike, better it's a used one.

Welcome.

Take it easy.
Read through the many threads in the "introduce yourself" forum on here and try to pick out the common denominator from all that have contributed.
Report back here in a week to take up the answers.

If current economic trends continue, I imagine the used bike market is going to continue to be atypical for a while. I doubt any historic trends is going to apply except maybe 2007-2009.

as a new rider too... I'd say be careful. If you haven't bought a bike yet, I'd go small... anything 400cc below as recommended by many is more than enough to start and learn riding. I would also refrain from buying a bike with too much electronics... except may be ABS (hehe.. even ABS may be contested here) There are many reasons to ride a bike as rudimentary as possible.. for me... its learning to control throttle and not wheelie out of control... clutchless shifts up and down... and proper trail-braking techniques... not a pro-rider by any means.. but the more seat time you have.. you will get the feel of how the bike reacts... and those feel you learn by having a stock vehicle.. and not having the electronics cloud your judgement..

The first ride as you picked up your first bike will be daunting... try to see where you pick up the bike and see if you are able to find a big open space close by for you to practice some basic clutch work before riding the long journey home... and before making the date to pick up the bike... try to plan your route and familiarize the area you are about to drive thru... on a bike.. you can't really browse your "Google Maps" if you get lost... and trying to find a safe place to stop and look for direction is scary.. if its your first time back on the bike....

Seeing that you just got your M2 and we are heading into Winter/Spring.. the earliest you can ride is probably Apr/March (some will say earlier, but you will be freezing your nuts off... so rider beware).. my point here is.. your coordination/clutch/front & rear brake/throttle work will likely be all given back to Learning Curves -- meaning.. you probably forgot... so when you DO pick up the bike.. take it slow to get back into the groove...

AND.... ALWAYS wear gear (I know its going to be hot as balls...) ALWAYS ride your own ride... you have nothing to prove.. and simply taking a mode of transportation from point A to B...

as to bike being expensive and dealer naming their price.. i find that this usually happens during the season/summer... Went to a couple dealers in the tailend of the season (sept/oct) a few of them are complaining some old-M2ers are selling back their bikes because Covid is over and most don't have the time to ride or want to ride in the city... a few weeks back.. some dealers/brands were even giving double the rebates on new bikes.. and additional discounts on used/preowned ones... so i'd say winter is probably a good time to look at bikes.... the only ****** thing is that -- as other mentioned -- beginner bikes usually you have to pay sticker because there is not a shortage of new riders wanting to get on beginner bikes...

ride safe..

as a new rider too... I'd say be careful. If you haven't bought a bike yet, I'd go small... anything 400cc below as recommended by many is more than enough to start and learn riding. I would also refrain from buying a bike with too much electronics... except may be ABS (hehe.. even ABS may be contested here) There are many reasons to ride a bike as rudimentary as possible.. for me... its learning to control throttle and not wheelie out of control... clutchless shifts up and down... and proper trail-braking techniques... not a pro-rider by any means.. but the more seat time you have.. you will get the feel of how the bike reacts... and those feel you learn by having a stock vehicle.. and not having the electronics cloud your judgement..

The first ride as you picked up your first bike will be daunting... try to see where you pick up the bike and see if you are able to find a big open space close by for you to practice some basic clutch work before riding the long journey home... and before making the date to pick up the bike... try to plan your route and familiarize the area you are about to drive thru... on a bike.. you can't really browse your "Google Maps" if you get lost... and trying to find a safe place to stop and look for direction is scary.. if its your first time back on the bike....

Seeing that you just got your M2 and we are heading into Winter/Spring.. the earliest you can ride is probably Apr/March (some will say earlier, but you will be freezing your nuts off... so rider beware).. my point here is.. your coordination/clutch/front & rear brake/throttle work will likely be all given back to Learning Curves -- meaning.. you probably forgot... so when you DO pick up the bike.. take it slow to get back into the groove...

AND.... ALWAYS wear gear (I know its going to be hot as balls...) ALWAYS ride your own ride... you have nothing to prove.. and simply taking a mode of transportation from point A to B...

as to bike being expensive and dealer naming their price.. i find that this usually happens during the season/summer... Went to a couple dealers in the tailend of the season (sept/oct) a few of them are complaining some old-M2ers are selling back their bikes because Covid is over and most don't have the time to ride or want to ride in the city... a few weeks back.. some dealers/brands were even giving double the rebates on new bikes.. and additional discounts on used/preowned ones... so i'd say winter is probably a good time to look at bikes.... the only ****** thing is that -- as other mentioned -- beginner bikes usually you have to pay sticker because there is not a shortage of new riders wanting to get on beginner bikes...

ride safe..
Whose wheeling out of control on a 400 or less??

Whose wheeling out of control on a 400 or less??
Should be easy peasy. My first bike was a 74' CB360. My BIL told me if I want to wheelie. Just twist the throttle wide open and drop the clutch. Surprised I didn't fall off or do a complete endo.

Should be easy peasy. My first bike was a 74' CB360. My BIL told me if I want to wheelie. Just twist the throttle wide open and drop the clutch. Surprised I didn't fall off or do a complete endo.
Indeed. Then wouldn’t you want electronic aids so you DONT ‘wheelie out of control’ since you clearly don’t have a sense of good throttle control.

Doesn’t add up for me.

Indeed. Then wouldn’t you want electronic aids so you DONT ‘wheelie out of control’ since you clearly don’t have a sense of good throttle control.

Doesn’t add up for me.
Absolutely not! How else would I have learned such a valuable lesson so early on? (And let's face it. As long as you land it without landing on the ground was it really out of control??) Too much nanny state dumbs down the whole lot.

An aside: Some of us old enough to remember "monkey bars" in the playground remember that most years some kid being stupid would loose a tooth or break a bone and teach us all a valuable lesson. Sadly those lessons have stopped and now I believe we see the consequences.

Absolutely not! How else would I have learned such a valuable lesson so early on? (And let's face it. As long as you land it without landing on the ground was it really out of control??) Too much nanny state dumbs down the whole lot.

An aside: Some of us old enough to remember "monkey bars" in the playground remember that most years some kid being stupid would loose a tooth or break a bone and teach us all a valuable lesson. Sadly those lessons have stopped and now I believe we see the consequences.
I am said old and I don’t disagree.

Another reason I’m glad not to have children.

I hear you all, as the used market is a little bit crazy, I am considering the new Honda XR150L. Fun little bike that I can use to develop my riding skills and have lots of fun Off and On road. I don't mind to avoid highways on my first season to be honest.

I am 41, I don't mind to spend a little bit more and be worry free for the whole season! I don't want to lose any time running after parts or mechanical adjustments to be honest, and I don't trust an old bike that was fixed/maintained by god knows how many people. Even if that means I can scratch a brand new bike, I am in peace with that possibility to be honest, even considering that I plan to keep this bike even when I am ready for an upgrade. It's gonna be my little jack-of-all-the-trades Iron Horse :ROFLMAO:

@Evoex I got you! I choose not to have kids as well. #FunUncle forever!

I hear you all, as the used market is a little bit crazy, I am considering the new Honda XR150L. Fun little bike that I can use to develop my riding skills and have lots of fun Off and On road. I don't mind to avoid highways on my first season to be honest.

I am 41, I don't mind to spend a little bit more and be worry free for the whole season! I don't want to lose any time running after parts or mechanical adjustments to be honest, and I don't trust an old bike that was fixed/maintained by god knows how many people. Even if that means I can scratch a brand new bike, I am in peace with that possibility to be honest, even considering that I plan to keep this bike even when I am ready for an upgrade. It's gonna be my little jack-of-all-the-trades Iron Horse :ROFLMAO:

@Evoex I got you! I choose not to have kids as well. #FunUncle forever!
Hehe. U r like me. Got into motorcycle late.

Good luck dude b

got my M2 in 2022.. so been riding a year... I was on a KTM RC390.. and now on a Aprilia RS660...

u into sports bike or cruisers? I must say... being 40-something and on a sports bike.. looks good.. but it definitely not back friendly...

got my M2 in 2022.. so been riding a year... I was on a KTM RC390.. and now on a Aprilia RS660...

u into sports bike or cruisers? I must say... being 40-something and on a sports bike.. looks good.. but it definitely not back friendly...
Two amazing bikes!!

I'm into sport bikes, you have a point about the riding position though, but they look amazing. I hope I can get enough riding time that one day I can be ready for a BMW S1000RR or a Ducati Panigale 😂

XR150L seems like a small bike. Maybe too small. Can't imagine it will be great off road. (my 250 is sometimes left wanting....)
On the street that seems like barely enough power.

XR150L seems like a small bike. Maybe too small. Can't imagine it will be great off road. (my 250 is sometimes left wanting....)
On the street that seems like barely enough power.
Yeah I guess you're right, I have been talking with Homme007 about the same thing. Specially now that he showed me the new RS 457 Aprilia. I am in love for the dam thing 😂

Jokes apart, I guess I'll keep hunting since I am not in a rush. I hope the long winter will be enough to decide 😂

Back
Top Bottom