New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride) | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride)

hello everyone, i a have been reading for awhile, and i noticed that some people saying the sv650s is an alright starter bike, my question is whats the difference between the sv650s and an r6, looking at specs the sv650s has a bigger displacement then the r6? so then why is an r6 considered to be a step up higher then the sv650s? i am new to street bikes and looking into making a purchase at the end of this season doing all the research i can right now and trying to understand some stuff

looking at specs the sv650s has a bigger displacement then the r6? so then why is an r6 considered to be a step up higher then the sv650s? i am new to street bikes and looking into making a purchase at the end of this season doing all the research i can right now and trying to understand some stuff
Look at hp as well as displacement. The r6 is a race replica the sv is a street bike

Excellent Article, a must read for the new riders.

Hello everyone I have done some reading on this.I'm a new rider just starting out and have not yet got a bike.I'm looking more at getting a cruiser.From reading all these posts.Is have a 600cc sportbike the same as haveing a 600cc cruiser.I know that I need to start of small I just don't know if I should start with maybe a 250 and not a 650.I'm taking the humber coures next weekend and they have the yamaha 250 that they teach you on.So maybe I will wait and see how I handle that bike.

Thanks
Joe

Wow, thanks for that, very very informative and lots of good info! I was told to go for a 600cc, but I've definitely changed my mind. I'm not an aggresive driver at all behind the wheel, I can't see myself enjoying riding on anything that powerful.

So thank you sir, your guide has saved me trouble/money/and probably some bones :D

Is have a 600cc sportbike the same as haveing a 600cc cruiser.

Definitely not. For starters seating position is different. A sport bike rider sits more aggresively, leaned front. Rider has more weight on the wrists (due to position) and it allows less maneuveribility at lower speeds. On a crusier, the rider sits more relaxed and its easier to turn the bike at lower speeds. A good compromise would be a standard bike (which unfortunately, there's not a lot on this side of the pond).

Also acceleration rate is different. A 'sport'bike is made to go fast, they usually have a more sensitive throttle with quicker response and hence are not recommended for beginners since they leave less margin for error.

Seats on cruisers are lower which mean a new rider doesn't have to fumble to get his/her feet on the ground. They also usually have a lower centre of gravity which makes it easier to carry the weight of the bike at slower speeds.

That being said, I think a 600cc cruiser would definitely make a better learner bike than a 600cc sport bike (which I wouldn't recommend anyways). I haven't actually rode many cruisers so I can't say much, but I'm sure the cruiser riders on the forum would be glad to make suggestions. Just my 2¢ :D

BTW I'm glad ppl are actually taking the time to read the article ... :)

Hey Guys, New To the board. I started to ride Summer of '06. So I would say I am a novice rider. I took the Humber college motorcyle course (which I highly recommend). And I bought a SV650S as my first motorcycle. Let me say that I was 27 and I was really scared of this bike. My first ride on this V-twin bike was not easy. My heart was pounding and my nerves where shot. After 30mins, I had to take a break. I could not deal with the noise, vibration and speed. But I had already spent $8000 and was determined to ride again. Slowly I got up to ride longer and faster. Two weeks later I decided to try the highway and again the sound and speed where difficult to deal with, but I adjusted quickly. Four weeks later I was on the Highway and navigating rush-hour traffic. Finally I was no longer nervous and having fun.
So I say to the new riders out there. Whichever bike you chose 250cc, 500cc and on. Be prepared for a harse transition. Motorocyles are loud, fast and extremely dangerous machines, so Moderate yourself. The bike doesn't control your speed, you do; learn to walk before you can run.

THIS POST HERE!!!....IS VERY, VERY CRUCIAL!

I am a Noob as well. Don't have a bike yet; after reading the abundance of posts regarding that first ride/bike, my awareness has grown far more than the urge to get on a bike (and NO I am NOT turning back). The very same aspects Surge points out, I also took into consideration and began to develop a riding mentality (while driving a car).

Now I don't plan to go through sveral bikes in my riding career, so a decision between a 500cc and a 600cc come to mind quite often. I am well aware (but wasn't b4 I came to GTAM) of the risks of riding. It takes great dicipline, and patience. As I begin with rider training, every moment will be taken seriously and without compromise to safety.

So I will say it again....

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

GTAM...You probably saved my life before I even put it at risk for just that!

**I think every new rider should find themselves on this forum. For I am quite sure, if I were to ask these type of questions to riders I might now personally, I wouldn't get these types of answers. "Nothing feels better than riding with only a t-shirt!"...As one would say.:rolleyes:

Take care, Ride safe!....I mean it!!:roll:

good post--kinda encapsulated a lot of different things i had already read or talked about with experienced riders.

i'm an older newb, who hasn't taken the course yet (probably in the spring), doesn't have a bike yet (might have to wait a while still--depends on my willingness to bite the bullet on insurance), and doesn't even own a lid yet (going to either the dec or jan show).

never thought about getting a ss bike as a first bike, especially since i'm on the short side -- was pretty sure on getting a gs500, but now am intrigued by the '08 ninja 250. . .actually, the group buy from the states is really tempting. . .

thanks for the excellent reads, so far.

Love this write up. I started on a GS500E. Rode that for about 2 years and then went up to an R6. When I first picked up my R6 it scared the **** out of me. I had been riding for some time but the torque on an R6 compared to my GS500E was crazy. Took some time to get used to the fact that I couldn't pin the throttle on the R6 like I was able to do on the GS500E. Been riding now almost 4 years and love my R6. I would never recommend an R6 as a first bike as you are more likely than not to dump it and seriously hurt yourself. Remember...It is always better to learn how to crawl before you start running. If you live by that notion in biking you should enjoy it more than scaring yourself out of it.

Hello all. Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It was very good to read during my morning coffe break at work. Took about an hour but I'm a manager so it doesn't really matter how much I really do work , right?:rolleyes:
Anyways, I too will be taking the Humber course, which I won off of Q107, and am looking forward to riding in the near future. I really was thinking about getting a 600cc bike but am reconcindering it now, and will probably get a 250cc or 350cc insteead. Do they still make 350cc bikes?

Does anyone also have a helmet for sale that I can use to get the rider course done with?

Does anyone also have a helmet for sale that I can use to get the rider course done with?

Parker Brothers Powersports (427 and Dundas) rents helmets for $50. I believe they give you a $25 coupon that can be used towards the purchase of motorcycle gear at the store if you decide after the course to pursue riding

Hello all. Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It was very good to read during my morning coffe break at work. Took about an hour but I'm a manager so it doesn't really matter how much I really do work , right?:rolleyes:
Anyways, I too will be taking the Humber course, which I won off of Q107, and am looking forward to riding in the near future. I really was thinking about getting a 600cc bike but am reconcindering it now, and will probably get a 250cc or 350cc insteead. Do they still make 350cc bikes?

Check Royal Distributing. They had a $50 Brand new helmet. I bought my daughter one in XS b/c I couldn't pass that deal up and now she can take a ride around the block with me every once in a while. This is the link

Hi, I just registered today to do some research into what bike I should buy. Right now, I'm deciding between the CBR125R and the Ninja 250. I'm leaning toward the 250, because I do want to be able to go on the highway, as well as pass on streets. The other factor is that I intend to work my way up to a 600 SS, and I don't want to have to go through a ton of bikes to get there. I keep hearing a lot of great things about the 125R, but I just can't see it being worth it to me.

ypu kids are something else. why buy these gutless wonders. being overpriced and very expensive if you drop them.invest your money in an older 400-550cc bike with 4cylinders and you'll never regret it. after a year sell it and buy your dream bike it'll work out great for your pocket, experience and your ins. but who am i to talk, i've only had 6 bikes and been riding since '91.

I was planning to get a Ninja 250, but a co-worker's boyfriend was selling a '98 ZX-6R for less than I could find ninja 250's for! I bought it, and now after reading this, I'm thinking maybe I should sell it and get a smaller bike. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom