New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride) | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride)

Well theres no question that alot of people have started out on 600's and done it safety at that. As long as your okay with the insurance payments, i wouldn't put urself through the whole selling and buying process. But at the end of the day, its ur comfort with the bike that counts not how expensive the bike is.

Well theres no question that alot of people have started out on 600's and done it safety at that. As long as your okay with the insurance payments, i wouldn't put urself through the whole selling and buying process. But at the end of the day, its ur comfort with the bike that counts not how expensive the bike is.

Thanks! I do feel comfortable with the bike, I know I need to respect it and take it easy!

If ur comfortable then dont worry about it.. thats a great bike you have. You should be fine.

Wow, thanks for that, very very informative and lots of good info! I was told to go for a 600cc, but I've definitely changed my mind. I'm not an aggresive driver at all behind the wheel, I can't see myself enjoying riding on anything that powerful.

So thank you sir, your guide has saved me trouble/money/and probably some bones :D

Definitely not. For starters seating position is different. A sport bike rider sits more aggresively, leaned front. Rider has more weight on the wrists (due to position) and it allows less maneuveribility at lower speeds. On a crusier, the rider sits more relaxed and its easier to turn the bike at lower speeds. A good compromise would be a standard bike (which unfortunately, there's not a lot on this side of the pond).

Also acceleration rate is different. A 'sport'bike is made to go fast, they usually have a more sensitive throttle with quicker response and hence are not recommended for beginners since they leave less margin for error.

Seats on cruisers are lower which mean a new rider doesn't have to fumble to get his/her feet on the ground. They also usually have a lower centre of gravity which makes it easier to carry the weight of the bike at slower speeds.

That being said, I think a 600cc cruiser would definitely make a better learner bike than a 600cc sport bike (which I wouldn't recommend anyways). I haven't actually rode many cruisers so I can't say much, but I'm sure the cruiser riders on the forum would be glad to make suggestions. Just my 2¢ :D

BTW I'm glad ppl are actually taking the time to read the article ... :)

I'm in the same boat. I'm not too keen on the sport bikes ... I'm looking more for a relaxing ride. I was reading the first post as well before i went "uh oh", but ZimZima put my mind at east a bit. I will be looking for a 650cc cruiser.

Amazing thread and read, I have had a total mindset adjustment after having read this article, and now know I know very little about what the "cc" actually means. I was hoping for a fast street bike to start off on, and now realize I need to be smarter, safer and more realistic about what I can hope to accomplish in my first season with a bike.

Thank you for this post, GTAM! :D

Hello everyone,

The article is fabulous.. I am just starting out and trying to do some research to figure out what I can handle as far as bikes go.

I am a shorter female (5'2") and not a big girl.. I have been asking around but most friends etc. are big guys who ride and dont have alot to say about what bike would suit me best.

I am definately looking at the cruiser's, not into the sport bikes.. and would love any feedback you guys can give me.. I need to be able to handle it and dont want to kill myself or anyone else.

Last time I rode was 20 yrs ago and it was dirt bikes.

Thanks ml

I am definately looking at the cruiser's, not into the sport bikes.. and would love any feedback you guys can give me.. I need to be able to handle it and dont want to kill myself or anyone else.

Welcome to the board Michelle. You've come to the right place for a lot of opinions on your future bike (that often differ diametrically :) ). My advice is not to narrow your focus on any particular bike style, but see and try as many as you can before you make your decision. Most bikes can be lowered enough to become comfortable for your hight, so don't focus on cruisers just because you they are generally lower stock (they are also generally much heavier).

If you tell us what kind of riding you plan on doing and what is important to you we might be able to give you a better pointer. You can also come to one of the meets and check out the bikes other ladies are riding. I just saw a very nice BMW GS650 that fits a young lady of approximately your height very well. A bike I wouldn't think of as a good fit for shorter riders before.

Ride long, ride often, ride well and above all enjoy yourself.

Well, I am looking to take leisurly rides out and about..

It will not be about speed, and will mostly be countryside drives, yet I will need to be to have it handle on the highways..

Most likely 1-2 hour rides, leisurely..

As I have been out of the bike circle for a while, I may not know all the lingo, and so when I say cruiser, I probably should have just mentioned I am not really into the sport bikes, as I am not looking for speed, just comfort and something I can handle.

I appreciate any and all opinions... Thanks ml

Also where would a meet be?? I think that would be a fabulous idea

Hi Michelle, Welcome to the Board.
I'm the same height as you and I ride a Suzuki GS500F , It's a sport style bike but is has a higher bar and is very comfortable. It's only a 2 cyl. I commute on it everyday from Orangeville to Mississauga. I rode a lot of bikes and a lot of the cruisers are very heavy and I found the riding position didn't suit me.. I ended up getting a sore lower back after a hour or 2 . There are lots of good first bikes and as Vlad said, Most of them can be lowered. A girlfriend of mine has a 650 Yamaha V-Star and loves it. Suzuki also makes a 650 Single Cruiser. There's the Kawi 500 Vulcan and Yamaha has the 250 V-Star in the Cruisers.. A used ZZR250 Kawi is more of a sport style but also a good place to start.... The best thing to do is go out and see what YOU feel most comfortable on. But keep in mind what is comfortable on the showroom floor may not be after a couple of hours.

Last edited:
...when I say cruiser, I probably should have just mentioned I am not really into the sport bikes, as I am not looking for speed, just comfort and something I can handle.

I think a dual sport that can be lowered so you can maneuver it around the parking lot might be a good idea. V-Strom 650 comes to mind, but there are others. It's hard to beat for comfortable riding position, it's mild mannered and inspires confidence but still has enough pull to be ridden hard and fast if you so desire.

A retro style bike like my 1992 Kawasaki Zephyr 550 was would fit you very well (I'm pretty sure you could flat foot that one). It's not as comfortable and has no fairing, but it's more than sufficient for few hour rides and is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen.

I'd steer clear from anything that puts your feet forward, forces you to lean on your wrists too much (or pull on them), forces your spine to form an arch, puts too much bend in your knees, etc. Also eliminate any bike on which you cannot touch the ground with both feet, at least tippy toe. Most bikes can be lowered by several centimeters, but the more you lower the more you affect it's ground clearance and handling.

Weekly meets info is in this sticky here. Feel free to introduce yourselfto the dark fella on the big blue Bandit with a very loud horn :)

Thank you so much!!! You guys are fabulous!!

Alot of great info that should really help me out.

I will be going out this weekend to get the necessities and to start looking at bikes, so the info you gave me will give me more confidence in the conversations that I am sure I will be having.

I will check out one of the meets, and if I find you I will definately say hello.

I hope everyone is having a great time out on the road, and I look forward to getting out on the road soon!

Have a great weekend.. Looks like I have some internet surfing to do on bikes.lol

Michelle, Welcome to the the Board.

I see you're in Guelph .. Most of the Riders there post in this thread http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=36448 in the rides/ hook ups section

Kari ( Karigotu) is a good female rider that's also in Guelph. She might be able to give you some advice on who's good to deal with in that area.

Good luck on picking your first bike, I'm helping my wife pick her first bike. She's probably looking at a used 500/250 Ninja or GS500F or a small cruiser. She's also a shorty,

Thanks so much.. I will definately check out the thread.. and see if I can pick Kari's brain.

It is slightly overwhelming when you are just getting back into it all, especially as now I am looking to ride on the streets, not just tooling around on the trails.

Your wife is a lucky lady to have someone to help her!!

Thanks again

Michelle

hey great sticky, not gonna lie i wanted to start out on a 1157 cc bmw k1200r (..haha) and i still REALLY want to ride one-kind of a speed freak

buuut i see the point, and this post convinced me more than any friends/family could have-probably end up going with the ninja 250/500r

thanks

Last edited:
Awesome! Since I'm getting a 750cc for my first bike this must not apply to me either!!!.....

While I am getting a street/sport-touring bike (Z750S) I realize and recognize that it's a big, powerful machine. It weighs 1/4 what my car does but has 80% of the HP and Torque. I am not afraid of it, but that doesn't mean I don't have a healthy respect for it and the damage that I can cause both to myself and to others while riding it. It's why I will be doing the rider courses (basic before I get the bike, intermediate and advanced riding afterwards) with my bike to learn it's limits and mine. That and I won't be riding like an idiot on regular roads!

Oh and if anything bad should happen to me, you guys and gals will be the first to hear about it to help other new riders become better.

Cheers,

M.

Where are you doing the courses? i am doing the riding course at centennial, what are the intermediate and advanced courses?

Question.

Do we have limiters that we can put on here. Like in london its like required to have a limiter when you first ride.

That way i could buy a sexxy 600cc limit it so its like a 250cc after a year bring it up to 500cc and then just release its full power.

I get 3 bikes for the price of one, + cost of a limiter.

Question.

Do we have limiters that we can put on here. Like in london its like required to have a limiter when you first ride.

That way i could buy a sexxy 600cc limit it so its like a 250cc after a year bring it up to 500cc and then just release its full power.

I get 3 bikes for the price of one, + cost of a limiter.

I'm sure you can find them online, not sure if any stores actually sell them. Probably due to the fact that they're not required by law and hence no demand for them.

In UK, you're not just limited to cc's but also the hp the bike puts out...over here, one can get an M1 and jump on a 'Busa or ZX-14... :rolleyes:

I'm sure you can find them online, not sure if any stores actually sell them. Probably due to the fact that they're not required by law and hence no demand for them.

In UK, you're not just limited to cc's but also the hp the bike puts out...over here, one can get an M1 and jump on a 'Busa or ZX-14... :rolleyes:

But will insurance reflect the limited cc and hp of the bike.. or will they charge for the total cc of the bike.

Cuz if its at limited. I might as well see how much those babys cost and get a 600 for my first bike and limit it to a little old 250-500. Instead of getting a small 250 and then moving my way up..

What a great read! Fantastic and thank you! I am a new rider and after reading your posting I am even happier with my choice. I am a proud owner of grey market Honda CBR 250 Hurricane.... and is plenty fast for me at this point...I am not afraid of it, but have a healthy respect. It gives me the opportunity to push my self a little further each time I go out for a ride without terrifiying myself.... for sure the best way to becoming a great rider in the end!:p

Back
Top Bottom