New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride) | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride)

What a great read! Fantastic and thank you! I am a new rider and after reading your posting I am even happier with my choice. I am a proud owner of grey market Honda CBR 250 Hurricane.... and is plenty fast for me at this point...I am not afraid of it, but have a healthy respect. It gives me the opportunity to push my self a little further each time I go out for a ride without terrifiying myself.... for sure the best way to becoming a great rider in the end!:p

Hey congrats on your new ride...good choice.

Ps. I've seen riders ride those CBR250's on the twisties better than most riders on 600SS's... :cool:

good article, im thinking of starting with a 600cc but nto on thr road my cousins is an experienced rider and will be teaching me the ropes before i even hit the streets so i'll be learning at the track or closed area. Most likely i will end up starting a 250 but if only if i feel ready for a 600 i'll get it.

good article, im thinking of starting with a 600cc but nto on thr road my cousins is an experienced rider and will be teaching me the ropes before i even hit the streets so i'll be learning at the track or closed area. Most likely i will end up starting a 250 but if only if i feel ready for a 600 i'll get it.

Good for you for having someone to show you the ropes and track to practice, I wish we all learned like that. However, have in mind that real world traffic will present many new and serious challenges. Make sure you learn emergency braking, swerving etc. - not just knee dragging :). Depending on how good the instructions are and how much practice you get you may need to make a more or less serious effort to switch to a different mode of riding for the street. The fact that you can do a perfect high speed tight corner does not mean much when there's a patch of sand across it. Constantly adjust to the conditions and surroundings and you'll do just fine. Best of luck!

New to the forums! Great to see a gta forums :D

Looking to get an 09 Ninja250r (kawasaki)

seems they are going like hot cakes, better reserve mine ASAP!

aatank

New to the forums! Great to see a gta forums :D

Looking to get an 09 Ninja250r (kawasaki)

seems they are going like hot cakes, better reserve mine ASAP!

aatank

this late in the game, you'd be lucky to get onto the waiting-list for a 2010 baby Ninja.
welcome!

If you've already been experienced on some sort of machine (road) for a year u should get a 250. whether its a ninja 250 a cbr250 hurricane or a small cruiser, u will not be disappointed. I rode a moped for a year, 6 months in i knew i needed an upgrade. i've already screwed around with my little 2 stroke (big bore kit, decking the head, jetting, expansion chamber exhaust) that i got to the point where i began leaning until my centerstand scraped the ground. My advice is that when u fully know the limit of your ride move up. i'd recomend a brand new ninja 250r(~$5000)... don't have the funds but want better looks than that older ex250, do what i did. scout the ads and look for a zz-r250 with low mileage, this ended up costing me only $3500 with a mileage of 300km. know the limits of both u and ur ride, than move up

Having realized how far above the averge driving crowd I am, I.m glad I started on my GSX-1100. after I got used to my Honda Ruckus, nothing seemed to scream "next" to me until I saw her. 60x the speed, way more torque and power and a civilized riding position. Now If I could just find the rest of my friends still on thier Ruckus's.
:read:

I'm a newbie rider with a 2005 Ninja 500R - bought used with 2700 km. A perfect starter bike for me although it will do 0-100 in 4 seconds with forgiving handling. As an avid mountain biker I'm a believer that starting with the right bike will make you a better rider and you upgrade the bike as the skills improve. Also, the insurance companies look more kindly at 500cc for a new rider.

My next bike will be a 600-750cc and I think that is all I'll need - plenty fast and fun, although my heart wants a Ducati ST3 but the insurance companies don't like Ducati - the premiums will probably dictate what bike you can afford, esp. if a new rider.

hey now.. lets not forget about the best Starter bike ever invented!

Honda CBR125R! it's light weight (260-280lbs) easy to handle, a lot of fun.. you don't need to be tall or have big hands to ride it.. it's very comfortable. Plus its also better to limit yourself to not going retarded speeds when you don't have experience. I don't ride to go fast, I ride to ride free and enjoy it.

I bought the CBR125 as well....in Red/Black (though now that I've seen Pinkster's, I may change the color on it later!)...

I'm such a newbie that I'm scared to pick up the bike from the dealership which is under 10 minutes from my place!! So they're bringing it to me on the 25th....one day after taking the training @ Sheridan...:p

Let the learning and fun begin..! Can't wait!!

I bought the CBR125 as well....in Red/Black (though now that I've seen Pinkster's, I may change the color on it later!)...

I'm such a newbie that I'm scared to pick up the bike from the dealership which is under 10 minutes from my place!! So they're bringing it to me on the 25th....one day after taking the training @ Sheridan...:p

hey now Pinkster's an original and should stay that way! lol

Congrats on the bike you'll learn quick

Excellent starter bike and cheap on insurance as well!

Enjoy your ride and be careful on the roads ;)

well, I started off with a Suzuki Marauder VZ800. Great bike! Low to the ground, easy to handle. Wife loves it too! After a few years, I am moving onto something different now, but we had some good times...

Wish I had read this before I purchased my zx6.. Although bikers are all over my family, mostly Harley riders... And my parents and family all had there discussions with me before I purchased her! I am careful, cautious, and spent over 2k miles at speeds under 60 (first 500 miles under 40)...

hey now.. lets not forget about the best Starter bike ever invented!

Honda CBR125R! it's light weight (260-280lbs) easy to handle, a lot of fun.. you don't need to be tall or have big hands to ride it.. it's very comfortable. Plus its also better to limit yourself to not going retarded speeds when you don't have experience. I don't ride to go fast, I ride to ride free and enjoy it.

Great way to look at it!
BTW, nice custom work on your 125... nicest one I have seen to date!

a great deal just poped up.

Buy a zx6r 2002 for 2500 pay 3.5k insurance for a totak of 5.5k
or
Buy a 2007 gs 500f for 4500 pay 2.4k insurance for 6.4k

One's better learning wise, one is better price and time wise..

plan c is buy bike and re-sell.

I would say that the cbr125 is a good choice if you do lots of city driving. My friend has one and I was shocked how quick it was for a 125. 0-80 impressive over 80 not so much but I am a big guy and that doesn't help. And it is surprisingly cheap to own and insure and you could sell it in a year or two for about the same you paid for it. And 100mpg not bad either.

Back
Top Bottom