New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride) | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride)

Buell's are definitely interesting bikes!! I know 4 people who own them and swear by them... but 3 of the 4 have been utterly confused or lost when wrenching on them, and the 4th is probably amongst the top 2% of wrenchers in the USA and makes a living fabricating custom parts lol.

So get a manual for sure, but also connect with other local Buell owners, check other Buell specific forums for issues to watch out for with that model, and have a blast!! And post pics. You didn't really buy it if you don't post a pic, don'tcha know...

Can anyone answer something for me?

I've been looking for a late-model CBR125R or CBR250R to get started. But all of the CBR125Rs out there seem to be from 2008-2010. (A) What's the deal with that?

And (B) all the used sub-10k 250s are at $3500-3800~ asking prices. When I can get a brand new CBR300 from the dealer for $3699 (before destination) right now.. what's the point? How is the 250 market sustaining itself at that price? Are people really that willing to save the ~$700-800 over a new one with more power / better resale down the line? Or am I missing something about the CBR300s?

Last edited:
Can anyone answer something for me?

I've been looking for a late-model CBR125R or CBR250R to get started. But all of the CBR125Rs out there seem to be from 2008-2010. (A) What's the deal with that?

And (B) all the used sub-10k 250s are at $3500-3800~ asking prices. When I can get a brand new CBR300 from the dealer for $3699 (before destination) right now.. what's the point? How is the 250 market sustaining itself at that price? Are people really that willing to save the ~$700-800 over a new one with more power / better resale down the line? Or am I missing something about the CBR300s?
In 2014 they sold off all the CBR125's for $1999 plus freight, PDI and tax. They are now discontinued. A new CBR300 without ABS should be discounted to $3999 plus freight, PDI and taxes. $4699 with ABS.

If you can get one for $3699, that is a good deal.

I may know someone selling a Ninja 400 in the near future. Just saying

In 2014 they sold off all the CBR125's for $1999 plus freight, PDI and tax. They are now discontinued.

Yeah, a friend of mine got one. Sadly, I was overseas from August-October last year, and missed out.

Still, it doesn't quite explain the dearth of them used in the 2011-2013 range, does it? (Meanwhile, plenty of 2011-2013 250s for sale.)

If you can get one for $3699, that is a good deal.

Yes, there are a few dealers out there offering another $300 instant rebate off the $3999 right now.

My first bike was 2005 Suzuki S50, I thought 800cc would be a bit to much to start, but it's heavy enough not to kill yourself if you are respectful to throttle.

My first bike was a 500 a bunch of years ago. Great place to start. I always try to ride as many bikes as I can get my hands on (friends bikes, demo days, etc) and even try smaller bikes that I know aren't coming home with me. A few of the new 300s were a nice surprise.

The Yamaha YZF R3 is really smooth and agile, the KTM RC390 has quite a bit of punch actually, Ninja 300 super fun. Its true, cant compare a 1980s 250cc bike with a current year model. The tech has come a long way.

Hello, I'm going to buy my first motorcycle this year. I'm quite beginner driver, I had several weeks of experience on scooters, but I'm going to get humber college m2 course just to be more comfortable.. I'm considering of buying 2015 kawasaki ninja-300 (I'm only 160lbs so I don't need too powerful engine) or ninja-650 abs (mostly because of abs). But I would really appreciate any other options you would suggest..

Also I would really appreciate any input about best insurance company for beginner driver and shop to buy all necessary gear. Thx !

Also I would really appreciate any input about best insurance company for beginner driver and shop to buy all necessary gear. Thx !
Any of the 300's would suit you I think. CBR300R for a good all-around bike (comfort, brakes, fuel economy, power delivery), ninja300 for the "ninja" factor, R3 for some extra juice, KTM390 if you want to track it.

Dalton-timmis seems to be the best right now for new riders.

So far I've only contacted Dalton-Timmins, but their service was excellent, very fast responses and I can't complain about the amount quoted although it was hypothetical. I'm not sure about the ABS feature, but I think a 650 would cost a lot more to insure then a 300. You can get a quick semi-accurate online quote via https://www.ridersplus.com/.

You can get a decent priced helmet and pair of gloves off Amazon, just make sure to get the measurements right.

So far I've only contacted Dalton-Timmins, but their service was excellent, very fast responses and I can't complain about the amount quoted although it was hypothetical. I'm not sure about the ABS feature, but I think a 650 would cost a lot more to insure then a 300. You can get a quick semi-accurate online quote via https://www.ridersplus.com/.

You can get a decent priced helmet and pair of gloves off Amazon, just make sure to get the measurements right.

I agree that can score decent used or even new gear off of Amazon/kijiji/EBay and would reccomend that maybe for gloves or a jacket but not for a helmet. You (usually) only get one brain in your life time and that's not a piece of gear I would buy used. Way too many question marks. You need to try them on to see what fits properly. Go to a place like Royal Distributing and get a non-current stock new lid. Brain injuries are not your friend.

I agree that can score decent used or even new gear off of Amazon/kijiji/EBay and would reccomend that maybe for gloves or a jacket but not for a helmet. You (usually) only get one brain in your life time and that's not a piece of gear I would buy used. Way too many question marks. You need to try them on to see what fits properly. Go to a place like Royal Distributing and get a non-current stock new lid. Brain injuries are not your friend.

Agreed!! Kijiji is also good for people selling used jackets... used gloves carry the risk of stinking to high hell, lol. But a helmet should probably be new-to-you for several reasons:
1 - helmets are designed for 1 crash only.
2 - Helmets are actually designed for 1 impact for the most part, which can be as "small" as a 3ft drop.
3 - Helmets won't necessarily show if they have been dropped off a coffee table, from a handlebar, down carpeted stairs, etc. But WILL be compromised.
4 - FIT, as previously mentioned. Especially since you're new. Talk to an expert who knows how it should fit for you.

New gear shouldn't be that expensive really. I bought some workboots from Walmart for like $25 (I don't recommend it though, while they cover the ankle, they provided no real protection); helmet, jacket, gloves all new from Royal Distributing (again, as previously mentioned, and they have frequent sales) for around $200. Don't worry about getting the best gear right now, but watch for sales, learn what kind of riding you'll be doing, etc. Over time you will accumulate hwat you need and higher quality stuff. I now have a $600 Shoei helmet, $300 name brand mid calf boots (bought almost new for $100 from someone I met in a riding group), $300 3 season textile and armour jacket bought on sale for $190, $100 Icon gloves from Royal and gauntlet style gloves bought used (and rarey used by me due to the stink when they get wet) that I picked up just for shipping from a friend of a friend, $300 Dianese waterproof textile riding pants w/removable liner I picked up on sale from Rider's Choice, with an added discount a friend helped me out with so I paid about $180 after tax. If I had sprung for this gear all brand new right away, I would have paid so much more!

As for insurance, you need to narrow down what kind of bike you will be getting. Maybe 2 or 3 choices. Then use an online calculator, and call around to some major brokers as well as the ones already listed here (for instance, TD used to have amazing rates, but this year they went way up... this is common, an insurer wants to attract more riders so offers good rates, gets lots of new riders, pays lots of claims, raises rates, loses riders, a couple years later will lower rates again) so it changes year to year.

Goodluck!

New rider in the making, about to take my M2 training course next week. and this is very good information... but I'm so hardheaded! even after reading this, I still want a night rod special, I'm obsessed with that bike. :mad:

Agreed!! Kijiji is also good for people selling used jackets... used gloves carry the risk of stinking to high hell, lol. But a helmet should probably be new-to-you for several reasons:
1 - helmets are designed for 1 crash only.
2 - Helmets are actually designed for 1 impact for the most part, which can be as "small" as a 3ft drop.
3 - Helmets won't necessarily show if they have been dropped off a coffee table, from a handlebar, down carpeted stairs, etc. But WILL be compromised.

4 - FIT, as previously mentioned. Especially since you're new. Talk to an expert who knows how it should fit for you.

Just seeing this; for clarity, points 1 & 4 yes; 2 & 3 are misinformed

Direct from the Snell website

I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one? Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, that you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it.</DD>

Or from the Director of Marketing for Arai North America // I would think if there was any substance to the dropping your helmet myth a marketing director would be more than happy to send you off to buy a new one..

Skip to 6:53 for crash vs drop info

[video=youtube;Ovd3KGu6BgU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovd3KGu6BgU&feature=youtu.be&t=6m52s[/video]

How do upright riding position bikes compare to sport bikes? I've been looking at the SV650 for years upon years now. I only now came up with the spare cash to take up motorcycling as another hobby (and that insurance is no longer ridiculously expensive). However, all the talk of 250cc/300cc makes me reconsider getting the bike I want in favor of a bike to learn on. I see mention of how cruisers and touring bikes count as something different from sport bikes. I'm not particularly interested in super sports but I am also not at all interested in cruisers.

How does a FZ-07/SV650/Z650 compare to a Ninja 300/R3 as a starter bike? Would I be better off getting a ninja 300 now and an FZ-07 in a year or two?

used TW200 is the perfect starter bike, around 2K for a decent one
won't cry when you dump it, very little to break, cheap to insure
get 2 seasons out of it, sell it for 2K and move up to more power

How do upright riding position bikes compare to sport bikes? I've been looking at the SV650 for years upon years now. I only now came up with the spare cash to take up motorcycling as another hobby (and that insurance is no longer ridiculously expensive). However, all the talk of 250cc/300cc makes me reconsider getting the bike I want in favor of a bike to learn on. I see mention of how cruisers and touring bikes count as something different from sport bikes. I'm not particularly interested in super sports but I am also not at all interested in cruisers.

How does a FZ-07/SV650/Z650 compare to a Ninja 300/R3 as a starter bike? Would I be better off getting a ninja 300 now and an FZ-07 in a year or two?

great sporty yet upright bike if the FZ6, stopped making them around 5 years ago, but good used can be found

Folks can ride a 300 and enjoy it several seasons.

When you're ready, sell it and move up to something bigger as you gain experience and figure out what you like.

It's easier to learn on a smaller and lighter machine but, some folks can manager a larger more powerful machine with restraint.

I honestly think the R3 is a sweet looking ride and wouldn't mind having one to zip around on.

I ride a lot with my wife so the cruiser suits me best.

As you gain experience, you will also develop some opinions on what you want to do. Where to ride, kind of riding etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Get the SV650 (or similar) if insurance is not an issue. Dirt cheap, simple and enough power to keep you happy.
Those 250-300cc smaller bikes are not for everyone. Some people are fine with them but some suffer, either because of the ergos or the performance.

Back
Top Bottom