New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride) | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride)

adrisen

My first ride was a 250cc. I had planned on holding onto it for another year but it was just vandalized. I just bought my first "sport bike" yesterday an 04 Suzuki sv650s. I won't Donny m exit on it but really curious to put it on the road next week.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

zheka130

Also I would really appreciate any input about best insurance company for beginner driver and shop to buy all necessary gear. Thx !
TD Meloche Monnex seems to have low rates.
Riders Plus insure with an M1 and training course. TD do not.
Cheap gear is in Oshawa, store called ReGear.
Various stores around the city selling gear. Kijiji can be useful of course.

moarmoto

It all depends on rider history and location for insurance but I too found that td Meloche Monnex seems to have the best price for me.

I'm paying about 325/year for ninja 300.

I want a different bike but hard to justify financially.

Cheaper to maintain and insure.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Blackfin

Site Supporter
Hey I was looking at a 1985 Yamaha Virago 750. The poster says its a great starter bike, any advice? New to riding here.
First, check with your insurance agent. Some older bikes are as hard to insure as newer stuff.

The 750 looks like a decent bike but keep in mind you'll be getting into a bike that's ~32 years old. That means 32 year old electricals, 32 year old carbs, 32 year old bearings, 32 years for corrosion to set in to places that don't see the light of day, 32 years of crud in the bottom of the tank etc.

If the bike has been taken care of and/or refurbished to at least some degree and the CO has documentation to prove it you'll be that much better off.

zts1986

First ride was a 1973 Honda CL175 that I bought in 2005. Rode that for about 3 months and then upgraded to a 2003 Buell Blast. I rode that for another 6 months. Then went out and bought a 2006 Ninja 650R. Now I have a 2015 Ninja 650 ABS.

I'm a big guy. No shame in riding all the small bikes to get started.

Stienthor

glad i found this thread. my short list for my first bike is now shorter and my wondering how to factor in my size when making the final choice for a bike has been answered.

Thanks

brennmcg

First bike (current) is a 750 honda shadow ACE. Its a nice light cruiser. I grew up riding dirt bikes so I was comfortable enough on a motorbike, but there is still a learning curve when it comes to cruisers.

Different Spokes TV

I'm not a new rider but my wife is. She's taking the course in two weeks and she already bought a Honda CB300F to ride after that. We're practicing out in the parking lot so that the course won't be the first time she's sat on a motorcycle:
I must say she's going about it more smartly than I did twenty years ago when I got my motorcycle license. I took my course on a 250 Suzuki, then went out a bought an Intruder 1400, a 1360cc cruiser. That bike scared the crap out of me when i first rode it but I managed not to kill myself. Don't be as dumb as I was and get a bike that won't endanger your life every time you ride it. Here's a breakdown of my wife's bike in case you're interested in a nice, naked beginner's bike:

jfreshhh

Hello all,

I too am a very new rider I mean if you want specific I just go my M2 the weekend of April 5 last month, I have never been on a Motorize Bike not even a scooter. I am looking at getting just a small bike as a starter, though I have done a lot of research on which starter bike I should get I am going with my gut to start with a 250-300cc. Due to financial reasons I don't want to spend a lot on a bike (budget is around 2500-3000k). So far I am leaning towards a Kawasaki Ninja 250-300, but I am also seeing a lot of the bike called Hyusong GT250R. But I cant seem to find anything about the bike other than it's originated from India and they are fairly new in the North American market (please correct me if i'm wrong). With that said does anyone here has had any experience with a Hyusong brand, what are your thoughts? On the same brand topic, I have read their cruiser line isn't that great apparently the suspension is terrible and was rated 6.5/10 compared to Yamaha's, Hondas, Kawasaki (again this also within the 250cc family).

Different Spokes TV

Hello all,

I too am a very new rider I mean if you want specific I just go my M2 the weekend of April 5 last month, I have never been on a Motorize Bike not even a scooter. I am looking at getting just a small bike as a starter, though I have done a lot of research on which starter bike I should get I am going with my gut to start with a 250-300cc. Due to financial reasons I don't want to spend a lot on a bike (budget is around 2500-3000k). So far I am leaning towards a Kawasaki Ninja 250-300, but I am also seeing a lot of the bike called Hyusong GT250R. But I cant seem to find anything about the bike other than it's originated from India and they are fairly new in the North American market (please correct me if i'm wrong). With that said does anyone here has had any experience with a Hyusong brand, what are your thoughts? On the same brand topic, I have read their cruiser line isn't that great apparently the suspension is terrible and was rated 6.5/10 compared to Yamaha's, Hondas, Kawasaki (again this also within the 250cc family).
Never rode a Hyusong (I think it's Korean) but it gets lower marks than the Japanese bikes. The most plentiful bikes out there are the Ninjas 250/300/400. You can't go wrong with those and you'll get the best prices on them because there are so many out there. Try to find a stock one, that way you know no one screwed up modifications on them. Look over any used bike carefully for signs of abuse. There are plenty of videos on YouTube about what to look for. Good luck with your search.

Relax

Hello all,

Think about what you just wrote and you will have your answer. Get the Kawasaki, or anything else Japanese, if you want the best value (which does not mean the lowest price). You'll have a strong local dealership presence for OEM parts and service (should you want/need it), as well as a good aftermarket selection to help you avoid those dealerships. I could only identify one Hyosung dealer in Toronto. Finally, my gut tells me that the Kawasaki will retain its value better as well, when the time comes to upgrade, and there will likely be more people interested in a Kawasaki vs Hyosung simply because of brand recognition.

Avanobi

Riding bikes long time ago (9 years ago) learning on small bikes like 250 and 300. In one day my friend gave to try CBR1000RR (suicide machine). I was scared in first seconds when i open a throttle. That experience show me what means to start running, before you learn how to walk. Even now on my second year riding in Canada on CBR600RR show me I still have a lot to learn. More important how to use your brakes and handling instead of using throttle. This 600s and 1000s reach from 0 to 100 in a couple seconds, but do you able to stop those bike in few seconds as well? Recommend all my friends who's start riding to get smaller bikes to learn and all of them did it right (all of them bought 300-400cc bikes) and they enjoying the learning process. Even myself had fun to ride those bikes.

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
Hello all,

Dont buy a hyo 250r. They look good but the engines dont last i am surprised there are left running. Even if it doesnt blow up on you, hey are much harder to sell. You could get a used honda/kawi/yamaha that will give you less problems and actually cost you less to own as you can resell it easily for almost what you bought it for.

Top Bottom