New member + RTI This weekend + 5 friends = mayhem! | GTAMotorcycle.com

New member + RTI This weekend + 5 friends = mayhem!

SoWACC

Hi everyone, found this forum while doing research on gear and bikes. Interestingly, before I knew about these forums, I went to Velocity, thinking it was a retail shop and met Jimmy. He's a great guy, very informative and ready to help noobs like me stay safe.

A little bit about me, I'm a third year student at Ryerson majoring in Finance and pursuing a CA designation. I tutor finance courses (FIN300 and FIN401 mainly) and my website is http://financeguru.webs.com

I'm taking the RTI M1 exit course this weekend with my brother, his girlfriend, and 3 other friends... Hopefully all 6 of us will be full fledged riders by monday :)

Will

I'm taking the RTI M1 exit course this weekend with my brother, his girlfriend, and 3 other friends... Hopefully all 6 of us will be full fledged riders by monday :)

Hehe sounds like you won't have to worry about finding a riding group. Welcome.

welcome... good luck with the CA designation... you'll be working minimum wage when you work at a big 4... maybe you can tutor me :D

Sooo, I just got home from the first day of the course. It's an absolute blast so far and I'm exhausted. I was riding a cruiser most of the day and also got to try a dual sport. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try any of the CBR125's and neither did any of my friends because the people who got them first, "claimed" them by leaving their jackets on the bikes the entire day. I guess I could have asked to try one, but I didn't want to draw attention by kicking someone off their bike. Maybe tomorrow, I'll run to grab one early or ask to try one after I do my final examination.

One of my biggest problems was after slowing down before a turn, I'd try to put consistent pressure on the throttle entering the turn to keep it in the low rpm range, but i kept getting jerky movements from the bike. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong there. My guess would be maybe I should be riding the clutch through the turn. Fortunately, I haven't dropped the bike yet. I'm hoping for the same good luck tomorrow :D

So 5 of us passed, one of the girls dropped her bike and has to retest next sunday. The free retest is a saviour! Also, we got a cbr125 to pass around amongst us and one of us got to test on it. Definately a different feeling compared to the cruisers and dualsports. The course itself was great and RTI instructors were awesome. They all had a great sense of humour and were ready to pass on their knowledge.

i just did my course this weekend, but at the north york location at 401/404

Yeah, my brother is her boyfriend. We all got our M1 and M2 together... How do you know her?

We went to look at a 1979 Honda CB750 (10th anniversary edition) this past weekend. Anyone have any thoughts on this bike? It seems to be in great running condition. Owner started it cold for us to see and rode it around the block for us.

Welcome!!

Did you happen to be in the same group as Teresa P?

Last edited:
Welcome. I work at Ryerson and there are a half dozen of us who do, and ride.

The CB750 is as reliable as a stone axe, if a bit heavy for most starters.

Welcome. I work at Ryerson and there are a half dozen of us who do, and ride.

The CB750 is as reliable as a stone axe, if a bit heavy for most starters.

Cool! Maybe, we could do a group ride some day.

Do you have a CB750? It seems like a good bike to own. My brother and I decided not to get the CB750 because the quote we got for insurance was really high (over $3k per year, I'm 26 in september, but my brother is alot younger and I believe you pay premiums based on the riskier rider) and it did seem heavy for a first bike. BTW, we desperately want to bob a bike. :)

I think I'm going to wait until next summer before I start riding. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a cheap bike with low insurance.

Cool! Maybe, we could do a group ride some day.

Do you have a CB750? It seems like a good bike to own. My brother and I decided not to get the CB750 because the quote we got for insurance was really high (over $3k per year, I'm 26 in september, but my brother is alot younger and I believe you pay premiums based on the riskier rider) and it did seem heavy for a first bike. BTW, we desperately want to bob a bike. :)

I think I'm going to wait until next summer before I start riding. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a cheap bike with low insurance.

Nope, I don't own one, but there were quite a few on the road when I started riding. I never heard complaints about them. I've got a Kawasaki ER-6n.

You're right that you pay based on the worst risk, but also based on displacement of the bike and, frequently, the type of bike (sport, cruiser, etc.). A smaller bike will result in lower premiums.

*EDIT* If you like that 1980ish style of bike, then maybe you want to look for a CM400T. Had a couple of friends who had them, back then.

Last edited:
There's quite a few rye TRSM alumni here and you'll find a few profs that ride as well: It's always fun to ride down Yonge St with your BUS-800 prof when you're both late for class. Also saw my service marketing prof riding his Can-Am on Dundas.

Ride safe and bonus points to you if you disregard the ******** Gould St. Closure and ride through it anyway! :D

There's quite a few rye TRSM alumni here and you'll find a few profs that ride as well: It's always fun to ride down Yonge St with your BUS-800 prof when you're both late for class. Also saw my service marketing prof riding his Can-Am on Dundas.

Ride safe and bonus points to you if you disregard the ******** Gould St. Closure and ride through it anyway! :D

El Presidente is also a rider. I spent maybe a half hour discussing the relative merits of different helmets in the parking lot with him, a couple of weeks back.

*EDIT* Remember that Gould is a "closed road", so riding through it is a 3 point offence, if the officer is being charitable. It's a 6 point operation without due care and attention, due to the fact that it's now a pedestrian mall, if the officer feels like really giving you the gears ;)

Last edited:
Said officer will be on a capable pursuit vehicle in the pedestrian zone, right?

Said officer won't have to bother as you would be trapped by the section where they've now completely blocked the street, from side to side or you would have to take to the sidewalk, after which they'd simply send a door-knocker after you.

Or, as with a past member, he'd just walk up to you after you got off your bike.

... and, of course, I would have absolutely no problem with reporting a plate number.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom