New member - plastics in GTA | GTAMotorcycle.com

New member - plastics in GTA

hey thanks for having me !
Quick first question , looking for a GTA shop that does daily-rider fairing repairs ,
not looking for concourse museum reproduction work , just a good honest
repair and paint. Any good recommendations ?
thanks!!
marc

Get some J-B Weld 2-part plastic epoxy, some CTC silver muffler tape and patch it yourself.
You can't pay someone to repair/paint/re-decal a panel for what a new one costs, if its repairable at all.

Get some J-B Weld 2-part plastic epoxy, some CTC silver muffler tape and patch it yourself.
You can't pay someone to repair/paint/re-decal a panel for what a new one costs, if its repairable at all.

yeah - that is an option , this is off an 02' Tiger and cant be found new though which I would have considered- there's a fair amount of rebuild to do though that 's beyond a spot of JB Weld and muffler tape.

Are you looking restore function or appearance? Getting it done is going to be expensive and will probably not be returned on the sale price. Safety wire stitches could look good on a Tiger and wouldn't cost much..

Reactions: J_F
I'm not too worried about resale value frankly - there are some missing tabs and altogether absent portions of plastic
otherwise it would be safety wired - I'm really mainly looking for a shop or person who can do this type of work .

cheers
marc

I'm not too worried about resale value frankly - there are some missing tabs and altogether absent portions of plastic
otherwise it would be safety wired - I'm really mainly looking for a shop or person who can do this type of work .

cheers
marc
Shop the junk yards or E-Bay.

this is no different than car body repairs
and with cars it is not economical to repair plastic bits
they get tossed and replaced with new, Ins Co pays

or you see cars where for whatever reason still
driven around with smashed plastic bumper wrappers
duck tape holding stuff on, red tape on smashed tail lights

personally I like the idea of wire stitching the plastic together

cheers
marc
Missing portions of plastic that you want created from scratch? Jeebus, that is a whole new level of expensive.

yeah - no not really , i've had all sorts of plastics repaired in CA the past and when you find someone
who does it - it's quite reasonable . Finding it hard to believe that no one's got any go-to places in the GTA .

What sort of plastics did you have repaired, and by "CA" do you mean "Canada" or "California"? Got a link to a place there that offers such a service?

triumph S3 fairing - in San Jose - California
no link , just a 'go-to 'guy who used to work out of Baxter Cycles
you thinking you'll ship stuff there ? now thats a step too far for me !

A forum member on here 'cheekee bandito' (sp) used to do good quality work that sounds like it may have fit the bill, but he no longer does this type of work. Maybe there is another forum member on here that does similar work.

yeah - no not really , i've had all sorts of plastics repaired in CA the past and when you find someone
who does it - it's quite reasonable . Finding it hard to believe that no one's got any go-to places in the GTA .

Restoration is expensive because of the number of hours required. What's your time worth and do you have the skill sets? What are your expectations?

An on the road repair with duct tape and wire gets you home cheap.

Just for giggles I kicked a round some numbers that could be way off as I've never done commercial bodywork.

I'm guessing that commercial shop labour rates would be in the $100 an hour area.

I've done a fair bit of amateur fiberglass boat work and getting a yacht level finish is four hours per square foot. For a tugboat finish it's four square feet per hour. Bikes could be worse because of tight fitting tolerances.

If I crashed a Goldwing and wanted to restore a panel first would be building a jig so the panel would fit on the bike and not interfere with the various protrusions afterwards. Then the restoration work and finishing. I can see it taking a week. A week of commercial shop time is maybe twice as fast but 20 hours at $100 = $2,000 plus materials. A hobbyist would put in more hours at a lower rate but end up the same. What would it look like???

Then there's paint and trim. For a Chevy you can repaint a fender with $50 worth of paint from Canadian Tire but they don't carry matching bike colours. Goldwings tend to be two tone at $100 or so per colour. Then the decals and clear coat.

A DIY project would make sense if the rider had the space and skill sets.

It's easy to understand why insurers write off bikes with what appears to be repairable damage.

In my experience there are only 2 reasonable choices, 1) replace the part, or 2) frankin zip tie repair it, that will be cheap ugly and hold amazing well where a plastic weld repair will be expensive look patched and fail anyway ymmv.

In my experience there are only 2 reasonable choices, 1) replace the part, or 2) frankin zip tie repair it, that will be cheap ugly and hold amazing well where a plastic weld repair will be expensive look patched and fail anyway ymmv.

Agreed for most plastics. Epoxy and fiberglass have a better history of successful repairs but I have always thought of injection molded parts as used in bikes as never achieving the original strength unless you make them really ugly.

yup - all good and obvious points most have missed the original question by a mile though -to clarify - I wasnt really asking if I should, If I could, or how to do it, whether it was a good idea, if JBWeld was better than epoxy resin , If I should buy new plastics , whether i should buy used ones on Ebay or Kijiji, if anyone liked zip ties or not - I myself joined GTA Motorcycle to find ressources in the GTA and was wondering if anyone knew of a place or person who does this type of work - thats all - thanks for all of the opinions though .

No, saw the shop on one of my travels and figured I might have need of their services. Lucky for me the need hasn't arisen yet!

Back
Top Bottom