New member here! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New member here!

Do you think model year makes too much difference? If I need to provide that info too for a quote, it will be loads of work for a broker/agent. I don’t know if they would like to help. Because I have 4 bikes in my mind. With year combination it would make at least eight combination.

I passed on some broker info to you in another thread. Don’t feel bad about getting a quote on a few different bikes. I think I had Kevin run 6 different bikes and 3 different cars for me. If you end up signing on with them they make a 25% commission, so having them do a little work for that money isn’t a bad thing.

Do you think model year makes too much difference? If I need to provide that info too for a quote, it will be loads of work for a broker/agent. I don’t know if they would like to help. Because I have 4 bikes in my mind. With year combination it would make at least eight combination.

+1 on finding the right broker. Last year I did majority of my quotes via emails, went through quotes for 3 diff bikes as I changed my choice based on availability and my test rides - did new quotes every time through multiple brokers and agents (some where responsive and friendly, some not so much...) - see all the threads in Insurance section here.. I think if you give yourself and all agents enough time you should be fine going through your list.

I wouldn't feel bad about asking. This is how you weed out a good (or at least better) broker/agent, at least from a customer service perspective. If the industry won't/can't offer a self-serve option or make the impact of various criteria easy to understand, then what choice do you have?

# of cylinders and body style makes all the diff...
If I start now I would buy a triple: Tracer/MT-7 or Trident/Tiger 660...
just my personal biased opinion (MT-09 convert here lol) - singles or twins just didn't do it for me for street riding :)
but , but the Thumper Torque!

hey folks, kinda confused! Not too many adv, sports tourer out there according to my budget. Around 5k with low kms. But loads of cruisers! What if I get a cruiser? It’s weird eh. Main goal for me is daily commute (95 km one way) not sure how comfortable it’ll be with cruiser. Please share your thoughts.

You passed on both the NRC Versys and the V-Strom from the reasonably priced bikes thread??? I think you were lucky to have a choice at all with these COVID prices.

hey folks, kinda confused! Not too many adv, sports tourer out there according to my budget. Around 5k with low kms. But loads of cruisers! What if I get a cruiser? It’s weird eh. Main goal for me is daily commute (95 km one way) not sure how comfortable it’ll be with cruiser. Please share your thoughts.

Didnt you find a versys for that price?
I also posted a cb500x for less than that recently, but it may be gone by now

Most adv bikes tend to be pricey, their target demographics are rich old dudes so they can charge out the ass.
If your budget oriented you'll have to stay in japan and go used/smaller(vstrom or cb500x)

You passed on both the NRC Versys and the V-Strom from the reasonably priced bikes thread??? I think you were lucky to have a choice at all with these COVID prices.
NRC Versys was without Abs thats why I eliminated that one. 2009 v strom; not reducing the price and needs at least $1500+ for new tires, accessories etc. It’s a bit far away from me, since I only have m1 right now, I cant ride it back home, no insurance… so need to tow or rent a truck to bring it home right? Probably extra $100-200… another 2012 vstrom with farkles for $7000 already gone. @Relax @bigpoppa

NRC Versys was without Abs thats why I eliminated that one. 2009 v strom; not reducing the price and needs at least $1500+ for new tires, accessories etc. It’s a bit far away from me, since I only have m1 right now, I cant ride it back home, no insurance… so need to tow or rent a truck to bring it home right? Probably extra $100-200… another 2012 vstrom with farkles for $7000 already gone. @Relax @bigpoppa
A motorcycle trailer from u-haul is 20 bucks. Thst should open up the area.

I got my hitch at this local store.
Might save some money if you pick it up instead delivery . I think I got the harness from amazon.
Just make sure the hitch fit the uhual trailer.

Its not that difficult to install it your self. lots of info on Youtube

No ABS is a deal breaker?

I got my hitch at this local store.
Might save some money if you pick it up instead delivery . I think I got the harness from amazon.
Just make sure the hitch fit the uhual trailer.

Its not that difficult to install it your self. lots of info on Youtube
Thank you so much. The lightest trailer is the motorcycle one in uhaul and it’s like 800lbs, the bikes I’m looking for are 420+ lbs, my civic manual says total weight must not exceed 1000 lbs.

I think they always put these kind of spec just to be on the safest side but I don’t know. Over 200 lbs out of spec towing for about 400km will be to much? Lately I was considering a bike from east of Kingston.

Thank you so much. The lightest trailer is the motorcycle one in uhaul and it’s like 800lbs, the bikes I’m looking for are 420+ lbs, my civic manual says total weight must not exceed 1000 lbs.

I think they always put these kind of spec just to be on the safest side but I don’t know. Over 200 lbs out of spec towing for about 400km will be to much? Lately I was considering a bike from east of Kingston.

I towed all kind of heavy things on my Mazda3 with weight over their posted limit with no problems.. just don't take any passengers.. (and don't use this as an official advice :)) I have manual which helps a bit with managing gears.. also I'd take a break on long uphills to avoid overheating gearbox..

The issue with Uhaul trailer is that it's very heavy - eats into your cargo.. There are some light trailers so you can tow pretty much any bike on them.

As per delivering a new bike - ones in a while task - avoid all trailers hassles, just find a friend with a truck = problem solved.

I personally wouldn't be too concerned for the few times you'd be towing it, especially for a long highway stint. But if you were towing every day uphill both ways, then maybe not. Double check the tongue weight if non-standard, then take it easy on the clutch and gear selection (if manual).

I towed all kind of heavy things on my Mazda3 with weight over their posted limit with no problems.. just don't take any passengers.. (and don't use this as an official advice :)) I have manual which helps a bit with managing gears.. also I'd take a break on long uphills to avoid overheating gearbox..

The issue with Uhaul trailer is that it's very heavy - eats into your cargo.. There are some light trailers so you can tow pretty much any bike on them.

As per delivering a new bike - ones in a while task - avoid all trailers hassles, just find a friend with a truck = problem solved.

Yeah, cheapest option is to befriend someone with a trailer, pickup, or van and reimburse them for fuel and time.

2005 FZ6 for $3k - not sure if these have ABS or not, but overall might be a good bike for your commute. I personally wouldn't be scared of the fact it has 70k on the odo, if it was well maintained.

You could ride it for 30,000km and then sell it for around $2k. Keep the luggage and sell those separately to recoup some of your money, or transfer them to your next bike.

1646835666006.png

2005 FZ6 for $3k - not sure if these have ABS or not, but overall might be a good bike for your commute. I personally wouldn't be scared of the fact it has 70k on the odo, if it was well maintained.

You could ride it for 30,000km and then sell it for around $2k. Keep the luggage and sell those separately to recoup some of your money, or transfer them to your next bike.

View attachment 53834
I had that same bike only a '06 w/o luggage. It was a good ride that did everything fairly well. No ABS.
As far as ABS bikes have been built and ridden for over a hundred years without ABS. I don't think you should make it the deal breaker. I've been riding over 40 years and have never owned a bike with ABS.

EDIT: the bags should be a bonus. I took my FZ up the JBR with my gear in a hockey bag.

I had that same bike only a '06 w/o luggage. It was a good ride that did everything fairly well. No ABS.
As far as ABS bikes have been built and ridden for over a hundred years without ABS. I don't think you should make it the deal breaker. I've been riding over 40 years and have never owned a bike with ABS.

EDIT: the bags should be a bonus. I took my FZ up the JBR with my gear in a hockey bag.
My first 6 bikes didn't have ABS and must have put on at least 300,000km on them without issue.

Since having ABS, I have had one situation where it kicked in and maybe saved me about 3 years ago. This was in Pennsylvania when a massive deer jumped out into my path while I was moving at speed and I had no choice but to grab as much brake as possible and then change my shorts.

I can definitely see value in having it, but everyone's different in their wants and needs. Wouldn't be dealbreaker for me either.

Back
Top Bottom