New in Toronto (just moved here from Montreal) | GTAMotorcycle.com

New in Toronto (just moved here from Montreal)

googboog

Greetings and Salutations

I just moved here a week ago after 4 years in Montreal (been riding 18 years now having ridden in Australia, Canada, India, Thailand and Indonesia). My bike is still locked up in the Excel Moto showroom, I was unaware that its actually legal to ride here in winter (illegal in quebec from december to march, even if there's no snow on the roads and its 30 degrees out, which never happens obviously)

I'm looking for some help/advice in transferring my bike from Montreal to Toronto once I find a place to stay, any recommendations for transport services and the general procedures that I need to go through (inspections and such). Also if anyone else has already gone through the whole shebang and has any tips. Hoping to start a new chapter in my life in Canada in a province that's hopefully a bit more friendly to bikers than Quebec - I paid 1800 a year for plates :( and also got $600 dollars of parking tickets for parking outside my own house when there was construction work going on during the lockdown, that's about half the price of my bike. It also led to an incident where I waited for the parking ticket car and chased him down and gave him a piece of my mind. Not that it helped but I'd like to put those times behind me :)

I look forward to riding on Toronto's non potholed roads that are not always under construction

P.S - please don't judge my TOCE exhaust, it was like that when I got it

Attachments

• 69514425_10157504701352456_4317703121993203712_n.jpg
    69514425_10157504701352456_4317703121993203712_n.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 46
Welcome!

Some good ideas on shipping in this thread:

Just riding it back here isn't an option? Montreal to Toronto is only a little over 5 hour ride.

Just riding it back here isn't an option? Montreal to Toronto is only a little over 5 hour ride.
I did the round trip last summer (photo in the op is at an Onroute between Toronto and Montreal ;) , I'm looking to have it here before the winter ends so I can have all the paperwork and everything ready once riding season starts. Its impossible to get a bike out on the street in Montreal before April and I want to avoid waiting too long or else I'd have to renew my Quebec plates on April 30th (another $1800 gone for no reason)

It was also extremely uncomfortable being hunched over the bike on the highway, I've also got a bad back and I'm not sure I want to go through that again. That'll probably be my last option though if nothing else works out

Greetings and Salutations

I just moved here a week ago after 4 years in Montreal (been riding 18 years now having ridden in Australia, Canada, India, Thailand and Indonesia). My bike is still locked up in the Excel Moto showroom, I was unaware that its actually legal to ride here in winter (illegal in quebec from december to march, even if there's no snow on the roads and its 30 degrees out, which never happens obviously)

I'm looking for some help/advice in transferring my bike from Montreal to Toronto once I find a place to stay, any recommendations for transport services and the general procedures that I need to go through (inspections and such). Also if anyone else has already gone through the whole shebang and has any tips. Hoping to start a new chapter in my life in Canada in a province that's hopefully a bit more friendly to bikers than Quebec - I paid 1800 a year for plates :( and also got $600 dollars of parking tickets for parking outside my own house when there was construction work going on during the lockdown, that's about half the price of my bike. It also led to an incident where I waited for the parking ticket car and chased him down and gave him a piece of my mind. Not that it helped but I'd like to put those times behind me :)

I look forward to riding on Toronto's non potholed roads that are not always under construction

P.S - please don't judge my TOCE exhaust, it was like that when I got it

Greetings. I think you'll find Ontario a lot more friendly to motorcycles. I got out of Quebec in 1988 and never looked back. Before I left the Montreal motorcycle gang wars were in full swing. The weekends brought hoots of fun on "L'Circuit Ile Bizard" and riding home on Saturday night from downtown to the "Waste" Island only took 10 mins. at 120mph after a few beers. I went back there 10 years ago to discover my friend still had his CB750 under a tarp in the garage two decades later, L'Circuit long gentrified. They wanted $1000 just to plate it plus some other crazy fee. The Regie is a rip-off. They want to outlaw motorcycles. Of course you know all that. But anyway, welcome to a freer part of Canada where insurance still rips you off, but at least there's less stupid rules, but not that much less.

Thanks for the welcome and yup, almost decided to hang up the helmet for good after moving to Montreal, I never saw a place where the government hates motorcycles as much and it really gets to you. I did meet some good riders there but they're usually track only, almost no sportbike riders on the street. I even met a couple of guys that ride without plates late at night and do speed runs on the highways although i'm too old for that stuff :D

In the 1980s, if you went to St. Catherine St. on a Saturday night there was sport bikes lined up all in a row, sometimes 50-60 in a row. If you went to the Engineering Department at Concordia there was always 30 sport bikes at any given time on the Hall Building campus. A civilisation GONE WITH THE WIND...

Hey googboog, welcome to the forum! whereabouts in India have you ridden... My best guess would be the northern mountain roads to leh and ladakh :) I'm not sure about Quebec but in GTA another headache would be motorcycle getting stolen. I hope you have a safe place to store.

We had a couple of folks here who used to transport bikes from what I have read (I'm also kind of new here)- I think it was toyhauler. Either way search for it in the forum and you should find the details.

All the best!

Hey googboog, welcome to the forum! whereabouts in India have you ridden... My best guess would be the northern mountain roads to leh and ladakh :) I'm not sure about Quebec but in GTA another headache would be motorcycle getting stolen. I hope you have a safe place to store.

We had a couple of folks here who used to transport bikes from what I have read (I'm also kind of new here)- I think it was toyhauler. Either way search for it in the forum and you should find the details.

All the best!
thanks for the welcome (haven't been to Manali but it's definitely on my bucket list) :)
I've ridden in the south, in Bangalore and a road trip with some people I worked with from through the Western Ghats, great roads but gnarly traffic. I would probably never ride a bike there again

thanks for the welcome (haven't been to Manali but it's definitely on my bucket list) :)
I've ridden in the south, in Bangalore and a road trip with some people I worked with from through the Western Ghats, great roads but gnarly traffic. I would probably never ride a bike there again
I hear you mate! :ROFLMAO: Some of the drivers there make Ontarians look like saint lol
I was there for a year and a half as well.

Good luck with your bike!

Hah this gave me a laugh.
Welcome to the boards, my sister's partner also lives out in Montreal, got a Vulcan S a couple years ago? Maybe last year. Found out he does the majority of his riding border crossing tho.

Although the people and place will be more welcoming, we don't have quite the roads Quebec has to possibly keep your interest on a SS, especially looking at that resumé of locations, and further if you aren't fond of the 2+hours to good roads toll 1way...

Its nice here if you get passed the politics, as is everywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Hah this gave me a laugh.
Welcome to the boards, my sister's partner also lives out in Montreal, got a Vulcan S a couple years ago? Maybe last year. Found out he does the majority of his riding border crossing tho.

Although the people and place will be more welcoming, we don't have quite the roads Quebec has to possibly keep your interest on a SS, especially looking at that resumé of locations, and further if you aren't fond of the 2+hours to good roads toll 1way...

Its nice here if you get passed the politics, as is everywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
I just googled around and you're right, doesn't seem to be any twisties nearby and Toronto is really huge. I've been thinking of trading in the SS for good and getting something like a GS or an Africa Twin. Would be better for my back as well and wouldn't get the stink eye from cops all the time.
Will see what happens I guess.

I just googled around and you're right, doesn't seem to be any twisties nearby and Toronto is really huge. I've been thinking of trading in the SS for good and getting something like a GS or an Africa Twin. Would be better for my back as well and wouldn't get the stink eye from cops all the time.
Will see what happens I guess.
There are good roads but be prepared to slab it a few hrs to get there. If you want to stay sporty then swap out for a naked or a wanna be ADV/sport touring if you prefer more fairings.

I think @Gary wants to part with his fjr1300

Don’t part with the SS just yet. At least give it one summer in Ontario. Lots of SS here.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom