New Guy | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Guy

Dimitri

So got my M2 done at Centennial in October. Will be looking to get my first bike sometime this spring.

I know the bike I want, is probably not the bike to get at first. Since I'm not attached to any perticular bike, I think I might just pick up the bike I used on my exit course, a Suzuki TU250X. It fit well enough and wasn't an issue over the weekend. It's MSRP is $4,500 which isn't bad for a starter bike, although I see the last model year is 2019 on their Canadian website. Yikes.

Welcome, Dmitri!

Personally - I'd shortlist at least 2-3 bikes and get insurance quotes first.
Depending on your age/area rates could vary quite a bit.

Buying used for a first bike might be a good move if you don't plan to keep it around for long.
Just make sure you do a thorough inspection prior to purchase..

Welcome!

Out of curiosity, what bike do you want?

I have no idea about the TU250X except to say that it's often better to buy a starter bike used, that way you can sell it on in a year or two at minimal loss. There's usually a boat load available to buy, as well, with others taking the same approach...

New or used doesn't so much matter, I'm just comparing MSRP's, of that verses the $12,000 for the Husky Svartpilen 701 I'd like to get once I get my full M and am comfortable with riding.

No perticular reason for the Husky either, I know very little about bikes, but out of all the bikes I browsed last year while waiting for the courses to start back up in the fall, it's the only one that sparked my interest based on visual appeal.

Welcome!

Haven't ridden the Husky 701 yet, i believe it's the same engine in the KTM Duke line 690?

Nice choice for middle weight bikes, they look rad.

It would not be a horrible choice for a new rider, as long as you`re not throttle happy off the jump. Insurance may not be friendly though.

Depending on the type of riding you want to do, you may find the TU250X a little small. If you`re not stuck on a style or type of bike, maybe consider a Ninja 300 or Yamaha R3 sport bike. Will get you a little more pep, insurance friendly and easy to part ways with when you`re done with it. (these bikes have double the hp of the TY250X).

Wear gear and be safe!

Welcome

You got good taste
those 690 singles are lit, same engine used in the KTM 690 supermoto and the Enduro R, they are def unique looking
MSRP at 9.4(10k)

Probably stupid amounts of torque.

#edit
Take a look at the new royal enfields if your looking at that sort of bike, probably more get up and go, and they seem to have really improved their quality over the years

Last edited:
Depending on the type of riding you want to do, you may find the TU250X a little small.

It's not a powerful bike that's for sure and it's apparently noticeably so at highway speeds. But for a bike to get used to riding around the city, power is less important. In a year or two I'd be replacing it for the Husky which you're right is basically the 690 Duke. Fortnine did a whole video on the more sport stance Vitiplien 701.

I found the riding position of sportsbikes to bother my back. Hence looking at more traditional upright bike profiles.

It's not a powerful bike that's for sure and it's apparently noticeably so at highway speeds. But for a bike to get used to riding around the city, power is less important. In a year or two I'd be replacing it for the Husky which you're right is basically the 690 Duke. Fortnine did a whole video on the more sport stance Vitiplien 701.

I found the riding position of sportsbikes to bother my back. Hence looking at more traditional upright bike profiles.
Then you could look at a Yamaha MT03 or Duke 390 if that choice interests you.

Cheers

TU250X great downtown
2019-TU250X-black.jpg

SR400 (y) if you can find one, similar classic style UJM (Universal Japanes Motorcycle) but way better for distance and speed
img-850x560.jpg

I have the smaller version, Svartpilen 401. It's my first bike and it's working out great so far. Also if you check out Yammie Noob on YouTube, he has a comprehensive review on it (the 401). Feel free to DM if you have any specific questions etc

I have the smaller version, Svartpilen 401. It's my first bike and it's working out great so far. Also if you check out Yammie Noob on YouTube, he has a comprehensive review on it (the 401). Feel free to DM if you have any specific questions etc
Try not to watch too many of his videos. There is no need to reward his doochie and dangerous behaviour.

Welcome Dimitri. You sound like you are on the right course. Another vote for buying used for your first bike (even better if it has some light battle scars). Most people tip over their first bike at some point (normally going slow) and you might as well let someone else take that financial hit. Ride safe.

I can't stand his videos personally. But that is just me.

Yeah I'm not telling anybody to subscribe or smash that like button. But the bike in question is a bit obscure, and he just so happens to have a video on it with some useful info.

I second the recommendation of a good used bike as a beginner. Handling even a small bike can be daunting when getting started. Stupid Things like putting the kickstand down on a hot sunny day is a learned lesson.

saves on insurance, no need for collision coverage, and in 2 years you get your money back.

if you plan to do any day trips, 300 on a sport style, 500 on a cruiser would be my minimum size. A TU won’t be ideal for day tours, you wont keep up.

Biggest reason to buy new when it's just a cheap little motorcycle anyway
You know how it should run, so when things don't work as good in a year or two,
you know it's time to start learning how to service your motorcycles.

Welcome to GTAM, and the 2 wheeled world.

Ride like you're invisible is the best advice any experienced rider will give you. That, and always keep learning - if you have the opportunity for more training, take it.

Back
Top Bottom