New emissions test coming? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New emissions test coming?

Car2Slo

I saw a brief intro on local news but did not catch the story. Supposedly they say a new Ontario emissions test is coming early 2013. They will hookup the machines to your computer (ODB) and not use a sniffer for most modern cars. Older cars will still use a pipe test.

I don't get how this will work. Can I run an aftermarket tune and aren't the cars O2's less accurate then wideband sniffers?

Either way more of a money grab. Why the frak did they freeze the 15+ yr rule for cars. I want to keep my rides to pass onto the kids and hate having to emission a car that only get 200km / yr on it.

I saw a brief intro on local news but did not catch the story. Supposedly they say a new Ontario emissions test is coming early 2013. They will hookup the machines to your computer (ODB) and not use a sniffer for most modern cars. Older cars will still use a pipe test.

I don't get how this will work. Can I run an aftermarket tune and aren't the cars O2's less accurate then wideband sniffers?

Either way more of a money grab. Why the frak did they freeze the 15+ yr rule for cars. I want to keep my rides to pass onto the kids and hate having to emission a car that only get 200km / yr on it.

They cancelled the 15yr exemption? I thought it was 20+ anyways.

Watch all the cars with engine light on failing the tests .... of course the cars are functioning absolutely normally with the light on. It will be interesting to watch.

It's not a money grab ... this changeover is very costly to shop owners. All the equipment that they bought when Drive Clean first came into effect is now worthless (and for the dyno built into the shop floor, it will cost money to remove it!) and now they've had to buy a whole new set of equipment. You, the customer, pay the same as before.

Modern OBD-II systems are very effective at capturing when things go wrong - more effective than a dyno test. Gas cap leaking? Busted. Evap can leaking? Busted. Misfire? Busted. These things will get caught by OBD-II but might not necessarily be caught by the dyno test. There's a lot more to OBD-II than just the lambda sensor in the exhaust.

For each subsystem that OBD-II monitors, there is a logic bit called "readiness" that gets set when the subsystem checks out OK. If the subsystem has a fault, "readiness" goes off for that subsystem and if the fault persists, you get the "check engine" MIL (malfunction indicator lamp). You can have no MIL on but "readiness" not set - e.g. if there is a pending code or an intermittent fault - but this will usually be in a situation where you have a MIL that comes and goes intermittently. If your MIL operates normally (and isn't intermittently going on or off) there shouldn't be a problem.

As for that aftermarket tune ... It depends. If it preserves all of the OBD-II functionality and all of the emission control equipment is operating as it should, then you will be fine. If the tuner has tampered with stuff, then maybe not. If they've arranged for the MIL to not come on for a given subsystem by simply bypassing the function check, then sure, you won't have a "check engine" lamp, but you'll also not have "readiness", and that's a problem.

If you have a vehicle with an even model year (i.e. it's due for checking in 2013) and there is doubt about your "readiness" situation, you can always get the Drive Clean check done using the existing procedure until Dec 31st, as long as you do it after your birthday. The Drive Clean certificate is good for a year. This way it buys you another couple of years before you have to get it done using the new procedure. I'm in this situation ...

my scan guage for MPG is also a code reader and can read pending codes as well. It can also clear them.

The whole thing is a big money grab from the government, not the mechanics. in fact last year i was hearing they were going to scrap the thing anyways...

I was speaking with Active Green + Ross about this, they were one of the pilot locations. I asked them about clearing the codes in the parking lot before the test and they said the test picked up things that a normal OBD II scanner couldn't and cars would fail if there had been codes even if they were cleared. It all seemed a little suspicious that there was this hidden layer of OBD-II.

I think it should be somewhat easy to fake the test. Those signals can be generated.

If you have a vehicle with an even model year (i.e. it's due for checking in 2013) and there is doubt about your "readiness" situation, you can always get the Drive Clean check done using the existing procedure until Dec 31st, as long as you do it after your birthday. The Drive Clean certificate is good for a year. This way it buys you another couple of years before you have to get it done using the new procedure. I'm in this situation ...

I though the certificate was good for 6 months? If you're sure about 12 months then I'll go get mine done tomorrow (errr. make that today).

I was speaking with Active Green + Ross about this, they were one of the pilot locations. I asked them about clearing the codes in the parking lot before the test and they said the test picked up things that a normal OBD II scanner couldn't and cars would fail if there had been codes even if they were cleared. It all seemed a little suspicious that there was this hidden layer of OBD-II.

Clearing the codes doesn't cause the readiness tests to pass. They'll still be failed or pending.

I just reset my codes before I do a test :D

Back in early November there was a story in The Star that explained this change. They suggested that even year cars that are due to be tested next year and have their "check engine" light lit should be tested on the current equipment before the end of this year. A check engine light will be an automatic fail using the new system.

Since the check engine light on my '04 Mazda3 has been on for the past couple of years I took advantage of this option and had it e-tested on November 19th. Even with the check engine light lit my car passed the test with flying colours; (HC ppm 8 & 9 out of 150, CO% was 0 & 0.01 out of 0.7). As long as the test date is after your birthday it will still be valid for your plate renewal next year.

I took the car to the dealer when the light first came on and they reported that the sensor on top of the gas tank was malfunctioning. Since this did not interfere with the operation of the car and the cost to drop the tank and replace the sensor was going to be well over $400.00, they advised me to simply ignore the light. I was well past warranty with about 170,000 km at the time, so I decided to take their advice. Following my recent e-test pass I now have two more years to drive it before I can't renew the plate. By that time it will be 10 years old anyway and not really worth too much; current mileage is 234,000 km.

I have always believed the e-test to be a cash grab because it is only required on vehicles in Southern Ontario. If the Province were really serious about emissions they would apply it to the entire Province. As it stands you don't have to go too far north of Orangeville to be in the area where e-tests are not required.

I would be surprised if there were not lawsuits down the road, because a car owner is at the mercy of the manufacturer that "their" sensor system works as advertised. There are so many cars with MIL on that is seems like a standard feature ....

Thanks Brian, this suggestion is very helpful. Im in this boat so I'll be sure to get the test done before the end of the year.

Watch all the cars with engine light on failing the tests .... of course the cars are functioning absolutely normally with the light on. It will be interesting to watch.

Yep. My car (2001 focus) has a bad sensor. It says my gas cap is off when it isn't. This in turn activates the emission light on the dash and the code reads as a massive evap leak. Of course I've had ie cap tested and it always passes. However I went to the Canadian tire o Southdown road and Royal Windsor drive and because of this my car failed right off the bat. They were nice not to charge me as they were not sure about it failing as well. I went to another close by Canadian tire that was still on the old e test system and my car passed with no problems. The quotes I got from shops to fix the sensor have all been insane! So if I plan too keep driving this car I'm going to have to pay out to have something fixed that really isn't broken. Just great.

This is my signature

Yep. My car (2001 focus) has a bad sensor. It says my gas cap is off when it isn't. This in turn activates the emission light on the dash and the code reads as a massive evap leak. Of course I've had ie cap tested and it always passes. However I went to the Canadian tire o Southdown road and Royal Windsor drive and because of this my car failed right off the bat. They were nice not to charge me as they were not sure about it failing as well. I went to another close by Canadian tire that was still on the old e test system and my car passed with no problems. The quotes I got from shops to fix the sensor have all been insane! So if I plan too keep driving this car I'm going to have to pay out to have something fixed that really isn't broken. Just great.

This is my signature

There is no code for "gas cap off". There's a code for EVAP leak which is most often triggered by a loose or missing gas cap, but if you have the code and a good gas cap, that doesn't mean your sensor is bad, you could actually have a leak.

It's been 1987 and older for a few years now. Did they get rid of that? Not looking forward to having to get the Porsche drive cleaned.

I think my 97 Saab would pass the new test while it would fail the old one. No CEL but it runs like **** and the A/F is way off I think.

There is no code for "gas cap off". There's a code for EVAP leak which is most often triggered by a loose or missing gas cap, but if you have the code and a good gas cap, that doesn't mean your sensor is bad, you could actually have a leak.

Even if I do my car passes with no problem. I don't see this little problem to be an actual problem ........well with the new system now it is. All in all b.s.

This is my signature

Cars 1987 or older are still exempt (not 15 yrs). Next bracket is historic vehicles which need to be 30yrs or older.

Cars 1987 or older are still exempt (not 15 yrs). Next bracket is historic vehicles which need to be 30yrs or older.
What does a historic vehicle get you?

Back
Top Bottom