New Conundrum...Finding a Dog-Friendly Home on a Budget | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Conundrum...Finding a Dog-Friendly Home on a Budget

Jenerator

Older than dirt.
Site Supporter
I'm hoping some of you can offer me some tips...for the first time ever, I'll be hunting for a new home to buy for myself and my lab Sophie, and it looks like my budget might limit me to a town house or condo apartment. The problem with these options, of course, is that there are usually restrictions on whether pets are allowed at all, or a maximum weight allowed. Ms. Sophie is pushing 60 lbs.

I'd like to stay in the GTA if possible, as I work near Pearson airport. I do have an agent I'm working with, but any thoughts, suggestions or links to secret websites that list these types of places would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you,
Jen & Sophie

IMG_20150927_143436_sm.jpg

As far as I know, most places that have weight restrictions keep the limit around 60lbs and this would be more commonly found in condo type spaces than townhouses - perhaps your agent can confirm this. I don't know your budget, but between the 403 and 401 and west of Mavis are reams of townhouses, semi-detached and so on... These places are about 15-30 minutes away from the airport.

Maybe you find something useful here: http://www.blogto.com/tech/2013/05/the_top_5_real_estate_listings_sites_in_toronto/
Good luck!

Most condo Declarations will specify what kind of pets are allowed. Gerbils, hamsters, dogs, cats, parakeets, budgies, canaries, parrots and similar kinds of birds, and small fish in an aquarium are generally permitted. Reptiles are usually prohibited as are exotic cats, apes, chickens, etc.

Few townhouse condos have weight restrictions or numbers restrictions on pet species that are allowed. Apartment condos are another matter altogether.

Most new condos do have restrictions on what kinds of pets you can have, and more than a few may have reference in their Declaration disallowing breeds that are deemed to "aggressive" or that may "give the impression of being aggressive".

For example, "Because the presence of certain breeds of dogs or aggressive dogs or dogs which give the impression of being aggressive may give concern to other owners, there shall be no dog allowed on the condominium property (common elements or in units) of the following breeds or types, Pit Bull, Doberman, any sort of guard dog or such other breed as the Committee may determine from time to time is not allowed. It is within the Committee's uncontrolled discretion to determine what breed and what specific dogs are not permitted on the condominium property and its discretion is not subject to being explained or questioned."

That comes right out of the condo Declaration for a particular GTA condo, and that phrasing or very similar appears in at least another 30 or so Declarations for other condos that I know of which were prepared by one particular GTA lawyer who specializes in condo law. Because it is part of the Declaration it is not subject to the usual standard that rules must be reasonable.

Even without such a clause, virtually all condos have Declaration provisions that permit a condo board from declaring any individual pet to be a nuisance and to require the owner to remove it from the condo and owner's unit on demand.

The condo's Declaration is absolute law for a given condo. While some condo boards may not always enforce everything in their Declaration, if they do there is no real way for an owner to fight it as the Declaration provisions are absolute and can be disallowed only if they contravene Ontario or Canadian law.

Nothing in either Canadian or Ontario law gives anyone the right to have unfettered choice of a pet in a shared condo environment. The only possible exemption if a condo bars pets or a specific kind of pet would be if your particular pet was a registered Service Dog for a recognized medical disability. In that case Ontario's Human Rights Code would kick in and overrule the condo's Declaration.

You need to read very carefully the condo's Rules document. You need to read even more carefully the condo's Declaration, specifically the section on Pets that most condo Declarations have these days. That will tell you what is permitted in a given condo.

For any townhouse condo though, I doubt that a Lab would fall afoul of any restrictions unless it was aggressive and likely to pose a biting risk or nuisance barking issue to other residents.

Last edited:
Thanks, Griff. Great to know and I'll be sure to read those docs if I decide to go that route.

Houses are somewhat affordable in Malton (condo town from <200,000 w maintenance ~300-500, detached from around 400,000). I used to live there, obviously not a preferred area, but damn close to work for you and it wasn't that bad. Mostly really friendly people. Try to stay away from the towers and a few of the townhouse complexes, they are super dodgy.

House prices in Malton don't climb as quickly as the rest of the GTA though, so if the plan is to stay there for a few years, then upgrade, it's probably not the best bet. Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom