New and Old Rider Here | GTAMotorcycle.com

New and Old Rider Here

Good morning all!

I just found this forum as I began my search for my first street bike. I grew up riding dirt bikes as a kid and was on a dirt bike before I could ride my bicycle without training wheels. I have had Hondas all my life and just completed my M2 course last weekend. Needless to say, after more than 20 years being off of bikes, my passion has been reignited.

I am excited to start the search for my first bike and am really finding myself drawn to the cruiser/bobber bikes currently. I used to really want a sport bike like an R6 previously, but the idea of being able to have something more cruiser style to take off for a weekend is much more appealing.

That being said, I would love to know if anyone has any advice when it comes to looking for such a bike. I realize these are modified bikes and many at home kits and so I am learning what to look for as I read the ads. I am looking for something cheaper and not worried about size of engine as I start to get used to being on the road and the difference from ripping around the country side.

Any and all advice or thoughts are appreciated and welcomed.

Also, what were some of your first bikes and if you had to do it again, what advice would you give yourself now looking back?

Alex

I would highly recommend you stay away from bobber modified motorcycles.

Good morning all!

I just found this forum as I began my search for my first street bike. I grew up riding dirt bikes as a kid and was on a dirt bike before I could ride my bicycle without training wheels. I have had Hondas all my life and just completed my M2 course last weekend. Needless to say, after more than 20 years being off of bikes, my passion has been reignited.

I am excited to start the search for my first bike and am really finding myself drawn to the cruiser/bobber bikes currently. I used to really want a sport bike like an R6 previously, but the idea of being able to have something more cruiser style to take off for a weekend is much more appealing.

That being said, I would love to know if anyone has any advice when it comes to looking for such a bike. I realize these are modified bikes and many at home kits and so I am learning what to look for as I read the ads. I am looking for something cheaper and not worried about size of engine as I start to get used to being on the road and the difference from ripping around the country side.

Any and all advice or thoughts are appreciated and welcomed.

Also, what were some of your first bikes and if you had to do it again, what advice would you give yourself now looking back?

Alex
Cruiser will be more wallet friendly. Beginner sport bikes are not a bad suggestion, they retain their value well.

I'd say 500cc cruiser at a minimum (Honda Rebel comes to mind), or a 300cc sport bike (ninja 300, r3, honda 300).

Buy used, you'll probably make most of your money back and if you drop it you won't be too upset.

Get insurance quotes before you go actually pickup the bike, you may be surprised at the cost.

Welcome back!

Don't buy somebody's homemade bobber. You don't know how well the work has been done & you're taking on a liability with $0 resale value.
As an, ahem, older rider, I find sport bikes put too much strain on my wrists and I've also learned that you will never be able to use one to it's full potential.
For someone with previous experience coming back to riding, you will probably get bored of an entry level bike pretty quickly. Look for sometning in the 650 range - S40 Suzuki (Savage; cheap and plentiful), Honda Shadow, Yamaha V-star 650, etc. Many options.

Cruiser will be more wallet friendly. Beginner sport bikes are not a bad suggestion, they retain their value well.

I'd say 500cc cruiser at a minimum (Honda Rebel comes to mind), or a 300cc sport bike (ninja 300, r3, honda 300).

Buy used, you'll probably make most of your money back and if you drop it you won't be too upset.

Get insurance quotes before you go actually pickup the bike, you may be surprised at the cost.

Welcome back!

Thanks for all of this and I noted from another posting on the insurance forum of the same advice to get the quotes and do the HW before purchasing anything. Truly appreciate the reply. I like the cruisers as well and spent my M2 course on a Rebel 300 and it was a great ride! Thanks for the welcome as well.

Don't buy somebody's homemade bobber. You don't know how well the work has been done & you're taking on a liability with $0 resale value.
As an, ahem, older rider, I find sport bikes put too much strain on my wrists and I've also learned that you will never be able to use one to it's full potential.
For someone with previous experience coming back to riding, you will probably get bored of an entry level bike pretty quickly. Look for sometning in the 650 range - S40 Suzuki (Savage; cheap and plentiful), Honda Shadow, Yamaha V-star 650, etc. Many options.

Thanks for this as well. Certainly seems to be some consensus around the bobber bikes out there. Can you share more about what you mean about $0 resale value?

I will certainly check out the bikes that you list in your reply as well. So many options to explore.

Fortnine did a pretty good video a year or two ago on why you don’t want to start on café racer / custom bike. I think it was part of their vlog series.

Basically it boils down to – most of the café racer/ bobber type bikes start out as 70’s/80’s machines. Besides reliability issues you also have to deal with all the old technology that comes along with that era of bike. Simple suspension, ineffective drum brakes, temperamental carburetors, etc. etc.

Then you have all the problems that come with Uncle Grandad taking a welder and an angle grinder to said bike in the back shed. Sloppy modifications /fabricating, bike geometry being out of whack, bad electrical, Frankenstein parts, etc, etc.

A custom bike can be fun but its not really something you want as your primary driver. Its also not something you want to learn how to ride a motorcycle on. If you really like the look take a peak at the BMW R NineT or Ducati Scrambler lineup. Alternatively there is fairing kits for a lot of the modern 300cc sport touring bikes.

Post a pic of what you like off pipe burnt or whatever and we can tell you why you don't want it.

Things like CV carbs with pod filters and no exhaust system, no fenders, no chain guard, wrong tires, crippled suspension, things that won't pass vehicle certification are some to watch for.

Fortnine did a pretty good video a year or two ago on why you don’t want to start on café racer / custom bike. I think it was part of their vlog series.

Basically it boils down to – most of the café racer/ bobber type bikes start out as 70’s/80’s machines. Besides reliability issues you also have to deal with all the old technology that comes along with that era of bike. Simple suspension, ineffective drum brakes, temperamental carburetors, etc. etc.

Then you have all the problems that come with Uncle Grandad taking a welder and an angle grinder to said bike in the back shed. Sloppy modifications /fabricating, bike geometry being out of whack, bad electrical, Frankenstein parts, etc, etc.

A custom bike can be fun but its not really something you want as your primary driver. Its also not something you want to learn how to ride a motorcycle on. If you really like the look take a peak at the BMW R NineT or Ducati Scrambler lineup. Alternatively there is fairing kits for a lot of the modern 300cc sport touring bikes.

Thanks for this reply and completely makes sense to avoid. I saw a couple posted online that where made after 2000 and a stated in the ad that they were modified with blue collar bobber kits, but I appreciate the insight as well and its well taken.

Thanks!

Post a pic of what you like off pipe burnt or whatever and we can tell you why you don't want it.

Things like CV carbs with pod filters and no exhaust system, no fenders, no chain guard, wrong tires, crippled suspension, things that won't pass vehicle certification are some to watch for.

Very helpful and thanks! I will post a couple of the ads that I saw so that I can get this valuable insight. I have never owned or spent any significant time on a street bike, so it is all new to me.

I will also look for that video!

Here are the ads that I saw that caught my eye and made consider a bobber. Happy to hear all insights and thoughts as it will all help me in the long run on any bike! Apparently I am still a Honda guy haha. Also considering a 2018 Rebel 500 as an alternative to have warranty.

Honda shadow bobber | Street, Cruisers & Choppers | Barrie | Kijiji

2006 Honda shadow Aero 750 CC Has a BluecollarBobbers kit installed value of $1000 Included is a motorcycle jack and cover aswell as misc parts. Always stored inside garage, oil change done every season, EBC front brake pads new.

Honda Rebel 250 Bobber | Street, Cruisers & Choppers | Hamilton | Kijiji

2001 Rebel, Blue Collar Bobber conversion, custom handle bars, grips, rear tail light license plate assy, mirrors, side covers, solo seat, soft tail fender, forward foot controls, pipes, brand new tires, c/w helmet and bike cover. No issues with bike, runs great, 23,875 km $ 1800

2008 Honda Rebel CMX250C (Well Taken Care Of) | Street, Cruisers & Choppers | Markham / York Region | Kijiji

Great for new or seasoned riders of all ages. Low seat height and excellent maneuverability 2008 Honda Rebel 250cc Bobber style cruiser. Bought from original owners in 2018. Has Screaming Eagle pipes. Sounds amazing froa 250cc. Other drivers will know your presence. Low Kms, Runs great and starts first shot. New battery kept on Battery Tender ober winter. Fully Synthetic Amsoil 10w40 Chain and sprocket in great condition with lots of lift left. Can provide chain lube and high quality Amsoil Motor Oil with bike if needed. I had done the following during 2018 September: New Prielli MT66 Tires front and rear - 2018 September Brake fluid flush new handlebars new LED rear turn signal licenese plate relocation with integrated brake light new LED Flasher Relay New spring seat New rear fender, new front brake pads (rears has lots of life left), new spark plug and new air filter will be sold with bike All original parts will be sold with bike, including original exhaust, rear fender and lights and handle bars

Something to consider; if it doesn't come as a bobber stock how do you feel about explaining to insurance all the mods and not having your premiums jump or being 'denied' (rates through the roof). I would get something else as a starter bike, get that street confidence up then look for your 'forever custom ride'. Dropping something like this and then getting hosed on all the money due to mods you can't claim sounds like a bad dream.

As bobbers go I like the Honda Shadow, hate the location of the tail light and license plate, don't do that side mount thing it's silly even on a bobber. No comment on the price because I have no idea what that money would buy in the way of a non-modified lightly used cruiser bike, although I did see one for sale on highway 41 just north of Roblin.

And another in Napanee all decked out, strip off all the extra lights and bags and windshield and parts you don't want, sell them in a swap meet to recover some coin for other goodies. Nice instant bobber for relatively cheap.
It is much easier to certify a non modified bike and then modify to suit over time.

Thanks for the reply, and I am curious why you say so? Any and all information is very helpful!
Bobbers are quite often created from badly damaged bikes. No better way to clean up a crashed bile than to remove the damaged parts then replace with cheepie aftermarket bobber stuff. Bondo and re paint and side covers - $200, 2 fenders $200, aftermarket bobber seat $100, headlight and signals $100, set of bars $40. $1000 cleans up a dropped bike with a bobber conversion.

Not always the case -- but more often than not.

Something to consider; if it doesn't come as a bobber stock how do you feel about explaining to insurance all the mods and not having your premiums jump or being 'denied' (rates through the roof). I would get something else as a starter bike, get that street confidence up then look for your 'forever custom ride'. Dropping something like this and then getting hosed on all the money due to mods you can't claim sounds like a bad dream.

Great points for sure and I read similar through the insurance threads that echo everything you say here. Thanks for the insight. Finding that balance of something used that is still desirable without breaking the bank and truly being able to learn and not worry about the items you mentioned.

And another in Napanee all decked out, strip off all the extra lights and bags and windshield and parts you don't want, sell them in a swap meet to recover some coin for other goodies. Nice instant bobber for relatively cheap.
It is much easier to certify a non modified bike and then modify to suit over time.

Great advice as well rather than worrying about finding the 'look' but moreso finding the right bike to learn on and then figure out what works and doesn't after spending some time. I like the idea of just stripping down the other pieces vs modifying, too.

Bobbers are quite often created from badly damaged bikes. No better way to clean up a crashed bile than to remove the damaged parts then replace with cheepie aftermarket bobber stuff. Bondo and re paint and side covers - $200, 2 fenders $200, aftermarket bobber seat $100, headlight and signals $100, set of bars $40. $1000 cleans up a dropped bike with a bobber conversion.

Not always the case -- but more often than not.

I hadn't even considered that, but makes a lot of sense for people to do that. Something to be aware of!

I also am considering looking at a 2017 Rebel 500 stock if I can find one used and it may be a next summer thing with the timing and myself being away through this summer rather than buying something to insure and only get a handful of ride days this year potentially. All of the replies have been really helpful.

Back
Top Bottom