Need suggestions for a towing vehicle | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need suggestions for a towing vehicle

Rossi86

Site Supporter
Need some suggestions for a vehicle to tow an enclosed trailer with 2 race GSXR1000s in it. The bikes, spare wheels, generator, spare parts, will likely weigh 1000-1200 lbs. This would require a 5x8 - 6x10 enclosed V-nose trailer, which will likely weigh ~1000 lbs.

These are the vehicle specs I need:
-It has to be manual transmission (don't like automatic, never owned one)
-Ideally it's a sedan, may consider an SUV or light truck
-It has options for a class 2 or 3 hitch, that will allow me to transport my dirtbike with a hitch carrier (hitch tongue weight of 300 lbs min)
-Price up to $15k, will likely be an early 2010s production

From my research, I've narrowed it down to a 2010-2014 Subaru Legacy or Outback, which have a 2700 lbs towing capacity and can take a class 3 hitch, rated up to 4500 lbs max trailer weight.

we had a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD and it towed a 6x10 enclosed trailer filled to the brim with furniture and everything else to help furnish a house across the US from Cambridge to San Diego and back (we came back through UT and CO to see the mountains)...we also used it several times to tow the bikes (FZ6R and FZ1) to PA and VT...never had any problems with it other than the mileage not being the best...only downside, it wasn't standard...other than that, it was a great vehicle...

If getting a Subaru, have it inspected carefully for oil leaks, because fixing them means pulling the motor. Even if you can live with the constant top-ups and oil stains on your driveway/garage floor, the smell of burning oil from it dripping onto the exhaust and getting sucked into the cabin will drive you crazy.

I'm a manual enthusiast myself, but we're few and far between and that makes it hard to find a very specific vehicle optioned as such.

The only thing that comes to mind that would tick most of the boxes is the xterra, you need to watch for rust otherwise solid little truck available in manual with a 5k tow rating. 4runner is another option.

Perhaps a VW diesel with a manual? Might be pushing the limits of that though with the enclosed trailer, but I've seen a few with motorcycles and ATVs on the back.

From my research, I've narrowed it down to a 2010-2014 Subaru Legacy or Outback, which have a 2700 lbs towing capacity and can take a class 3 hitch, rated up to 4500 lbs max trailer weight.
Subaru is not a good vehicle for work.

Next, a 6x10 enclosed with 2 bikes, tools and fuel will be closer to 3000 lbs. The way cars are rated, you will need about 2000lb towing capacity -- which is just about anything other than a micro car.

Personally I'd look for a small van, something like an NV, Transit or ProMaster 1500. You won't need the trailer and you have a work duty vehicle that can be had in good condition for less than 10K. You can sleep in the thing when at the track too.

unfortunately not many SUV's come with a manual trans, it you are ok with a truck maybe look into a Tacoma

Subaru is not a good vehicle for work.

Next, a 6x10 enclosed with 2 bikes, tools and fuel will be closer to 3000 lbs. The way cars are rated, you will need about 2000lb towing capacity -- which is just about anything other than a micro car.

Personally I'd look for a small van, something like an NV, Transit or ProMaster 1500. You won't need the trailer and you have a work duty vehicle that can be had in good condition for less than 10K. You can sleep in the thing when at the track too.
I live 15 mins from work, not sure what you mean by not a good vehicle for work, I'm sure any Subaru is better than my Chevy Cobalt. I doubt my stuff will come close to 3000 lbs. My GSXR1000s are rated at 420 lbs wet weight stock (they are lighter after the mods), so that's ~850 lbs on bikes, + 1000 lbs trailer, +200-500 lbs spares parts and tools, I don't think I'll even come close to 2500 lbs. My Cobalt can tow 2000 lbs max, if I bring just 1 bike I'd get away fine with a 5x8 trailer, but would like to have both bikes at the track.

I live 15 mins from work, not sure what you mean by not a good vehicle for work, I'm sure any Subaru is better than my Chevy Cobalt. I doubt my stuff will come close to 3000 lbs. My GSXR1000s are rated at 420 lbs wet weight stock (they are lighter after the mods), so that's ~850 lbs on bikes, + 1000 lbs trailer, +200-500 lbs spares parts and tools, I don't think I'll even come close to 2500 lbs. My Cobalt can tow 2000 lbs max, if I bring just 1 bike I'd get away fine with a 5x8 trailer, but would like to have both bikes at the track.
A high end 5x8 enclosed with an aluminum frame will come in at 1200 lbs. a steel enclosed will be 1500lbs. Add 50 for a spare and jack, 850 for bikes, 120 for 50l of fuel, 120 tools and spares/tires for 100 and you are at 2700.

Your Cobalt will handle that. But consider a used van at 10k is probably cheaper in the long run than a 6k trailer and the heavy load on a car.

Your call, but think it thru.

5x8 for two bikes and all the other stuff for a race weekend will be a tough go. Gonna need at least a 6x10 or 6x12.

5x8 for two bikes and all the other stuff for a race weekend will be a tough go. Gonna need at least a 6x10 or 6x12.
If you have to ask here about something like this... good luck at the track!

A high end 5x8 enclosed with an aluminum frame will come in at 1200 lbs. a steel enclosed will be 1500lbs. Add 50 for a spare and jack, 850 for bikes, 120 for 50l of fuel, 120 tools and spares/tires for 100 and you are at 2700.

Your Cobalt will handle that. But consider a used van at 10k is probably cheaper in the long run than a 6k trailer and the heavy load on a car.

Your call, but think it thru.
I'm looking at Miska trailers just to get the weight estimate, a steel frame 5x10 is at 1115 lbs, so let's say max 1200 lbs for a 6x10. An aluminum one would be lighter by 100-200 lbs. So will definitely be under the 2700 lbs of towing capacity of the Subaru.

Go for it! Keep us up to date on how that Subaru works out as a tow vehicle.

I wouldn't be buying an old subaru as a tow vehicle. I don't trust them. Trucks likely won't work for your budget. My brother was trying to find a truck with a 15K budget and the crap that was available in that bracket was astonishing. As much as it pains me, I would ditch the standard and that opens up your vehicle selection from only a few to dozens.

I understand fitting 2 bikes in 5x8 enclosed would be tight space wise, may need to put the bikes facing in opposite directions. Still can't be any worse than doing it with 1 bike and generator on an open trailer, and everything else in the car, which I've been doing for years. I live 20 minutes from SMP and go home to sleep at the end of the day. Will be aiming at a 6x10 depending on what's available on the used market.

You haven't accounted for the wind a enclosed trailer is far harder to pull than a open trailer. The only thing I can think that would pull and stop your rig and is standard is a older 4 cylinder canyon or tacoma.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

You haven't accounted for the wind a enclosed trailer is far harder to pull than a open trailer. The only thing I can think that would pull and stop your rig and is standard is a older 4 cylinder canyon or tacoma.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
Good point. Ime, An empty enclosed double snowmobile trailer is a bigger pull than an open tandem axle car hauler even though it is many times tighter. Now if he is only doing 20 minute trips, that helps as the vehicle shouldn't be heat soaked for most of it.

if you are going to race, you will want a truck. with a cap or cover of some sort. or a van you WILL need a place to put all your sht when its raining. and you will be bringing more stuff than your thinking of

While we dont always see eye to eye....

A car pulling an enclosed full of gear and 2 bikes IS possible JP Schroder used a Imprezza 2.5RS with an enclosed for years. It was fully loaded with gear, tools, and a cbr250 and XR1200 and weighed 3200lbs.

After 4 years and 120,000kms the care had stress cracks in the frame from towing.

Just because the car CAN tow that much doesnt mean it will do it nicely.

Back
Top Bottom