My latest tool acquisition | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My latest tool acquisition

I have a PowerFist breaker bar. Have beat on it pretty good over the years (particularly on frozen lug nuts while doing winter/summer tire changeovers) and it's never let go. Felt like it was close a few times, but never does.

Ya whatever. I have the metric one.
Pfft. Mine is the cordless model. Also got the deluxe chromed moisturerizer valve thrown in.

Full disclosure. I have CT brand 3/8 drive sockets and a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and ratchet and few 1/2 inch drive sockets. When too much leverage breaks the odd socket off to Crappy for a replacement.

Last edited:
This 10mm little guy from PA couldn't take the 8-9 ft/lbs I was using to do a chain adjustment......lol.

View attachment 46270
Another PA casualty today.

Used this one in my office for tying flies.... it joins my PA Hall or Shame collection.

pa.jpg

How tight so you clamp the hooks? Do you do some obscure form of fly tying that involves a sledge hammer? That's crazy.
It broke clamping a bolt, (don't really use it much for flys). Second time a PA vice did this, I

welded the last one back together, it works as a 3rd hand, nothing heavy.

Im not a vice expert, but I have learned the ductile iron vices modeled off Record 3 to 6 are weak at this point, We've broken a few.

Since they are ductile iron, they are easy to weld up. If the break is clean like the ones above, give them a good clean, bevel the edges and mig them back together.

Im not a vice expert, but I have learned the ductile iron vices modeled off Record 3 to 6 are weak at this point, We've broken a few.

Since they are ductile iron, they are easy to weld up. If the break is clean like the ones above, give them a good clean, bevel the edges and mig them back together.
Not worth it.
With ductile and cast iron the entire part must be pre heated and then stress relieved after welding. Even doing that you have a much weaker part than the original.

She owes us nothing, just time for a new vice.

I scrapped 2 of those that got broken this year next time one breaks I will pull the jaws for you.
Thank you.

I also have another small vise that I used prior to inheriting this one.

I don't use them for anything heavy duty so I don't expect to be breaking this one anytime soon.

Thank you.

I also have another small vise that I used prior to inheriting this one.

I don't use them for anything heavy duty so I don't expect to be breaking this one anytime soon.
The 6 inch record does take a fair bit to break usually a 6 foot bar on the handle to tighten.

Sent from the future

Oh I know. I buy machine vices for my manual and CNC machines.

Work-holding is not cheap, but cheap work-holding can be very expensive. If you know what I mean.
I know. A friend gave me a piece of railroad track and I made an anvil out of it by flattening the top on my vertical mill.

I messed up / underestimated the work holding part and busted about $150 worth of tools to get a "free" $50 anvil.

This 10mm little guy from PA couldn't take the 8-9 ft/lbs I was using to do a chain adjustment......lol.

View attachment 46270
Sometimes there is a bad casting. A marina owner told me that he ordered in a propeller for a customer and when the customer picked it up he opened the box at the store for a look. As he handled it a blade fell off in front of marina staff. If he opened the box at the dock they wouldn't have believed him.

How the prop got through finishing is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom