MT07 or MT09 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MT07 or MT09

caje

First time posting here so apologies if this is not the correct forum for this question.

I got my license last year and bought a Versys X 300, which I definitely enjoy, but now I'm looking for something a little more fun and have been debating picking up a 2020 MT07 or MT09. I was wondering if anyone had experience with both of them and could steer me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a fun bike to primarily ride in the city. I'm going to keep my 300 for longer rides since it has fairings and a windshield, so I won't be doing any long highway rides on the naked. I'm also not looking to go that fast in terms of top speed...I don't plan on really ever going any more than 130 km/h or so, so performance above that doesn't impact my decision at all.

On the one hand the MT07 seems ideal - lighter, better for in the city, but still has plenty of torque. On the other hand I worry about getting bored of it just like the 300. Plus I could get an MT09 for only $1500 more, which isn't bad at all. My concern with the MT09 is that it's a lot of power that I probably don't need. Is it fun riding a motorcycle and only ever using half the throttle?

Would appreciate any feedback.

If you're keeping both and predominantly using this second bike for "city runs" only, just get a super moto. More torque, lighter than these 2 AFAIK.

Otherwise the mt07. The 09 is slightly more expensive and a bit heavier and doesn't want to run stop like to stop light.
Actually saying that, no bike wants to run stop light to stop light....

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

First time posting here so apologies if this is not the correct forum for this question.

I got my license last year and bought a Versys X 300, which I definitely enjoy, but now I'm looking for something a little more fun and have been debating picking up a 2020 MT07 or MT09. I was wondering if anyone had experience with both of them and could steer me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a fun bike to primarily ride in the city. I'm going to keep my 300 for longer rides since it has fairings and a windshield, so I won't be doing any long highway rides on the naked. I'm also not looking to go that fast in terms of top speed...I don't plan on really ever going any more than 130 km/h or so, so performance above that doesn't impact my decision at all.

On the one hand the MT07 seems ideal - lighter, better for in the city, but still has plenty of torque. On the other hand I worry about getting bored of it just like the 300. Plus I could get an MT09 for only $1500 more, which isn't bad at all. My concern with the MT09 is that it's a lot of power that I probably don't need. Is it fun riding a motorcycle and only ever using half the throttle?

Welcome!

Previous '17 FZ09 owner here. The MT09 is a lot of bike for the money, certainly more then you need for the street. But these days i don't think that's really a factor or we'd all be rocking 300cc bikes.

The upside is that all the usable power is down low (torque) so you don't have to wind the bike up a lot to get that 'performance' you want out of a street bike.

It's a lot of fun and I would never hesitate to recommend one. It's also cheap on insurance (depending on the usual variables, age/experience/location).

MT07 is also a great bike, I hear from people who've had the opportunity to ride both that it's even more fun then the MT09.

I say the difference between the two in terms of street performance for the average user is negligible. If you want to save a couple bucks and don't care about things like quickshifter (don't believe it's available on the MT07), more off the line performance, or the sound of an inline triple then just go with the MT07.

Wear gear, be safe.

If the price difference isnt huge, get the mt09, this is where the usable power comes it, sure you wont be going 200km/h but even at every day regular speeds, these bikes are a hoot.

If the price difference is big, get the mt07, its still a great bike

Take your pick, they are both great bikes. If you are riding in the city, the lighter weight of the 07 is a bigger advantage than the greater power of the 09 but it's basically a toss-up.

Insurance cost may sway you one way or the other between the -07 and -09. But a supermoto should be about half, and even more fun. Plus if you want to go off-roading, all you need is a second set of wheels/tires.

You can probably sell an 07 for the same price you bought it for 2 years from now. FZ-09 maybe, maybe not. A lot of internet recommendations to go FZ-07 as a first bike so its easy to sell and its a very simple bike so maintenance is 'easy'. Do you plan to keep this second bike for an extended period or do you think you'll get bored of it. Neither bike is a forever bike though.

The 09 used prices may change with the 2021 model getting a lot of mechanical/electronic upgrades. If you are shopping via feature lists, the new one has a lot of new bullet points where the previous models had a lot of cons(suspension related). It's also hard to get test rides in general so a lot of people, like yourself, rely on reviews and lists.

Again, I don't see either bike as a forever bike so resale value means more. I also hope you buy them used.

Last edited:
Check your insurance rates first. Everyone would love to have a second bike, but you'll be paying crazy money for our short season.

Sell the Kawi and buy something like a FJ09?

These responses are super helpful, thanks to everyone who responded! To address some of the points raised:

Insurance is not particularly a concern - I actually live in Quebec now (from K-W originally) so insurance is pretty cheap regardless of the bike. This is also why I'm keeping the Versys - it's cheap enough I may as well.

I'm not really interested in a FJ or a Tenere. As shallow as it sounds, I bought a practical bike that I didn't love aesthetically with the Versys, but now I want something that I think looks badass. Perhaps a bit of a mid-life crisis going on.

I say the difference between the two in terms of street performance for the average user is negligible. If you want to save a couple bucks and don't care about things like quickshifter (don't believe it's available on the MT07), more off the line performance, or the sound of an inline triple then just go with the MT07.

This is something I was really wondering - how much difference will there be in day-to-day usage if I'm not planning on breaking any laws? If I'm accelerating from a stop sign to 70 km/h, will there be a significant difference in the 07 and 09 if I'm not using a quickshifter on either? Your post is definitely making me lean to the MT07.

Wish I could just test ride them both but unfortunately that doesn't look like it'll be possible.

2020+ Kawasaki Z900 or wait and see how the 2021 MT09 are like :D

I own a SV650 and a Z900 (the daily driver), the SV650 kept me going for ~3 sessions and then I wanted more stupidity thus the Z900.

Maybe in 3 years I will go for a ZX10 o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
These responses are super helpful, thanks to everyone who responded! To address some of the points raised:

Insurance is not particularly a concern - I actually live in Quebec now (from K-W originally) so insurance is pretty cheap regardless of the bike. This is also why I'm keeping the Versys - it's cheap enough I may as well.

I'm not really interested in a FJ or a Tenere. As shallow as it sounds, I bought a practical bike that I didn't love aesthetically with the Versys, but now I want something that I think looks badass. Perhaps a bit of a mid-life crisis going on.

This is something I was really wondering - how much difference will there be in day-to-day usage if I'm not planning on breaking any laws? If I'm accelerating from a stop sign to 70 km/h, will there be a significant difference in the 07 and 09 if I'm not using a quickshifter on either? Your post is definitely making me lean to the MT07.

Wish I could just test ride them both but unfortunately that doesn't look like it'll be possible.
I believe the MT07 is about a half second slower to 60 than the mt09.

I will say, the way the mt09 makes power will leave you with a grin on your face all day. I don't think you'll regret either choice but if you`re not sure then get the mt09 and just enjoy the fact you'll have a bike with enough power you probably won't upgrade for a long long time.

I believe the MT07 is about a half second slower to 60 than the mt09.

I will say, the way the mt09 makes power will leave you with a grin on your face all day. I don't think you'll regret either choice but if you`re not sure then get the mt09 and just enjoy the fact you'll have a bike with enough power you probably won't upgrade for a long long time.

+1

Just get the MT09 or something in that class

You can also wait and see how the rs 660/tuono 660 are, or perhaps the trident, you'll have to wait till summer but will have way more options and opportunities to do test rides.

Last edited:
There is still so much you can learn on your Versys X 300. It's a capable bike and would be fun for even the most experienced riders.
Jumping to a bigger bike isn't always the way to go.

Learn to ride better on the bike you have now and save money.
It seems like you mostly ride in the city.

There is still so much you can learn on your Versys X 300. It's a capable bike and would be fun for even the most experienced riders.
Jumping to a bigger bike isn't always the way to go.

Learn to ride better on the bike you have now and save money.
It seems like you mostly ride in the city.

I definitely agree that there is more to learn on the Versys, and I do enjoy riding it. The problem is that due to work, family, etc. most of my rides these days are 20-30 minutes during my lunch break or after work where I just want to have as much fun as I can. If I had time to take it to twisties and really ring it out I probably wouldn't be itching to get a bigger bike yet, but right now most of my rides are in the city or the countryside around my house where the roads aren't that interesting. Having a big bike with "grin-inducing" acceleration is just much more appealing to me right now.

I definitely agree that there is more to learn on the Versys, and I do enjoy riding it. The problem is that due to work, family, etc. most of my rides these days are 20-30 minutes during my lunch break or after work where I just want to have as much fun as I can. If I had time to take it to twisties and really ring it out I probably wouldn't be itching to get a bigger bike yet, but right now most of my rides are in the city or the countryside around my house where the roads aren't that interesting. Having a big bike with "grin-inducing" acceleration is just much more appealing to me right now.
MT09, period.

MT09, period.

Seems like the decision is made!

So next question: 2019 MT-09 would be $10.2k including tax. 2021 is 12.75k. Worth spending an extra 2.5k for the 2021 model with new electronics and other things?

Seems like the decision is made!

So next question: 2019 MT-09 would be $10.2k including tax. 2021 is 12.75k. Worth spending an extra 2.5k for the 2021 model with new electronics and other things?

If you want the big grin just buy the 14-16 model without the Nanny electronics.

all of them are great, gen 2 If I recall correct had slightly upgraded forks, fancy LED lights, ABS and TC , not sure what gen 3 has

Back
Top Bottom