Moving motorycle from Alberta to Dallas,Texas | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moving motorycle from Alberta to Dallas,Texas

rider89

Hello Everybody,

I want to ship my honda cbr650 from alberta to dallas,texas for personal use, as I will be living atleast 2 years in Dallas,texas.

Please help how I can proceed? What documents do I need for border crossing and registering in texas.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you sure? What are bike prices like in Texas? It may be cheaper and easier to sell and buy than export (and possibly later re-import).

There are stickies here that describe the importation process in detail but I don't know how much we have about exporting bikes as that is less common. Not sure if @Delboy exported bikes when he moved to the land of opportunity and good roads.

^ I agree with @GreyGhost. A Honda CBR650 is not hard to sell or replace.

Buy and insure in Texas and sell it after 2 years. You will be able to buy a much nicer bike for substantially lower price and insure for 1/3rd of what you might be paying in AB at least. My buddy rides a Ducati Panigale in Dallas and pays 300 per year in insurance.

What would you do if you and your CBR650 were visiting Texas for 2 weeks?
I reckon that you would do no paperwork at all, because none is required of tourists.
I see no difference when your visit is longer. You may need to get a new sticker on
your Ontario plate, and renew your insurance a couple of times, but I see no need
to pay to import your bike to USA, then pay again to take it back to Canada.
I think you are asking for unnecessary hassles and expense.

I have no professional expertise, but I have carried a lot of motorcycles across the
Peace Bridge, with and without license plates, and I have encountered very little
nuisance and no significant delay nor expense, either in Buffalo or Fort Erie.

What would you do if you and your CBR650 were visiting Texas for 2 weeks?
I reckon that you would do no paperwork at all, because none is required of tourists.
I see no difference when your visit is longer. You may need to get a new sticker on
your Ontario plate, and renew your insurance a couple of times, but I see no need
to pay to import your bike to USA, then pay again to take it back to Canada.
I think you are asking for unnecessary hassles and expense.

I have no professional expertise, but I have carried a lot of motorcycles across the
Peace Bridge, with and without license plates, and I have encountered very little
nuisance and no significant delay nor expense, either in Buffalo or Fort Erie.
Why would you pay $1000+ for invalid insurance when you can get valid insurance for <$300?

Thank you, Maniac. If your information is accurate, then Rider89 risks financial loss if he follows my advice.

But please consider what events must all happen to cause seizure of the motorcycle. In the first place, the government of USA would need to record the date that the vehicle entered USA, an action which happens so often, and at so many places along the border, that a prohibitive amount of mostly useless data would need to be recorded, sent to a centralized site, and remembered there for an indefinite period. There is too much data for this to occur. In the second place, a law enforcement officer in Texas, an employee of either a state or a county or a city, would need to become interested in stopping Rider89, learning from Rider89's mouth when Rider 89 entered the country, finding out whether an offense may have occurred, then conveying all this information to the government of USA. There is just no likelihood of everyone involved in this complex process giving much of a damn about the matter.

GreyGhost brings up an important point, namely insurance premiums are lower in TX than in AB. They sure are. Therefore I suggest that Rider89 arrange insurance with an insurer in TX as soon as possible. I have purchased insurance for a motorcycle I purchased in Ontario and carried on a trailer to my home, which is a long ride due south from Point Pelee. The insurer cares about three issues, the identity of the rider, the identity of the vehicle, and payment of the premium. Nobody cared that my license plate was from Ontario. A few months after moving, I went to the trouble of importing the motorcycle to the state in which I live, which again cared about my identity, the motorcycle's identity, and payment of some fees. Please note that after I left the Peace Bridge with that motorcycle, the government of USA had no say in the matter, and there was no mention of duties or import taxes. In short, my state did not tell Uncle Sam to pester me for anything. I suspect the same might happen in Texas, but it is wrong to make any assumptions about anything in Texas.

Pulled from a hat, here is the name and rating and phone number of an insurance agent in Del Rio Texas, which is not a likely destination for Rider89, because anyone with the wits to live in Alberta can rapidly learn a lot of reasons to steer clear of Del Rio.
1624968527662.png

Good luck to Rider89. You may want to import your bike to Texas, insure it there, then later renew your long-expired Alberta registration. I am sure that lots of Albertans let their plates expire while doing lengthy restorations, then renew their registration after some years, when the restoration is complete.

Salos Dafee, windy old f**t today.

Actually Salos Dafee. The US government can in a millisecond, advise when the bike entered the USA. They record EVERY plate entering the USA. Then they have these wonderful things called.... computers. All an agent has to do is enter the plate number, in their database... BAM that vehicle entered on 09 July 2021 at 15:38 hrs at the crossing from Alberta.

But that is the least of his concerns. In the scenario you provided if involved in a collision his Alberta insurance WILL NOT pay out on the claim. If your not residing in the province, (not hard for an adjuster to search ones social media and see your working at ABC corp in Dallas Tx for the past 14 months.

To the OP. just make sure you look VERY closely at the insurance you buy in Tx. Sure you can get coverage for $300, BUT it may only get you say $75,000 in Liability. If you hit and seriously injure someone when your deemed at fault with the US medical system it could easily cost hundreds of thousands if not millions, in claims. Pursonally I always bump my coverage from the standard $1 million here in Ontario to $2 Million generally costs less than $50 / year.

But that is the least of his concerns. In the scenario you provided if involved in a collision his Alberta insurance WILL NOT pay out on the claim. If your not residing in the province, (not hard for an adjuster to search ones social media and see your working at ABC corp in Dallas Tx for the past 14 months.
Why won't they? So what about those thousands of Canadian vehicles that cross the border by land every day? They are not covered in U.S. soil?

Why won't they? So what about those thousands of Canadian vehicles that cross the border by land every day? They are not covered in U.S. soil?
Read your policy. You should be covered on vacation (up to xxx days) but if you have relocated the homebase of the car, you are required to notify them within xx days. Material misrepresentation otherwise and policy void.

For $3,000 you can buy a bad-ass bike in Texas, they are abundant and people are not into it like here in Ontario. I used to live both in Dallas and Houston, Tx by the way.

Back
Top Bottom