move over Jeep, theres a new sheriff in town.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

move over Jeep, theres a new sheriff in town....

For everyone that has waited the 7 years since Ford started talking about it, it looks worth the wait.

7 spd Getrag manual that may not shift like a farm tractor. Yeah baby.

tow capacity on a 2dr wrangler is nothing to cheer about , its the short wheelbase not the pulling capacity. Mopar has had a few ' concept' jeeps, they showed up a couple years ago at SEMA with a 700hp hellcat engine shoved into a Jeep.

I've owned several Jeeps, they are great at what they are built for, a serious comprimise for anything else. Ford will take a bite of market with the Bronco in my thoughts.

In the end it will end up being a unibody grocery getter.

Not disputing the grocery getter comment but the T6 Bronco is most certainly not unibody. The frame is being built at a plant in Milton, and I was a small piece of the puzzle involved in putting the weld line together. Separate frame and body, longitudinal engine.

The "Bronco Sport" is a glorified Escape. That's not the one I'm talking about. Although, FCA sells a lot of Cherokees, so Ford wants a piece of that.

Not disputing the grocery getter comment but the T6 Bronco is most certainly not unibody. The frame is being built at a plant in Milton, and I was a small piece of the puzzle involved in putting the weld line together. Separate frame and body, longitudinal engine.

The "Bronco Sport" is a glorified Escape. That's not the one I'm talking about. Although, FCA sells a lot of Cherokees, so Ford wants a piece of that.

Oh cool, so people will be able to install stinger bars on it.

Awesome to hear the frame is built in locally.

tow capacity on a 2dr wrangler is nothing to cheer about , its the short wheelbase not the pulling capacity. Mopar has had a few ' concept' jeeps, they showed up a couple years ago at SEMA with a 700hp hellcat engine shoved into a Jeep.

I've owned several Jeeps, they are great at what they are built for, a serious comprimise for anything else. Ford will take a bite of market with the Bronco in my thoughts.
A friend of a friend built a hellcat jeep last year. I haven't seen it yet but apparently it's quite special.

AS ABOVE, The majority of Jeeps never get mud deeper than the country fair parking lot, but you could if you wanted to. Ford knows this well and while the majority will never get dirty, it would not sell if you couldn't. The "jeeps" may be the ultimate lifestyle vehicle. Bronco wants in.
Its not unlike ADV bikes that never really adventure, but you could if you wanted to, and so they sell well.

I think it'll do well. The front double A-arm suspension but still similar offroad performance is appealing. Won't try to kill you when you take bends a little quicker or hit a bump on the highway.
The new ranger should be based on this and will have better towing. Same as Gladiator vs Wrangler.

This is more ambitious than I expected. I guess Ford had the free time on their hands after giving up on building cars

Long as it doesnt get plagued with a jeep-err death wobble

This is more ambitious than I expected. I guess Ford had the free time on their hands after giving up on building cars
I like it. We'll see how it holds up. These retro-releases (Beetle, PT cruiser, FJ cruiser, etc) have a history of exploding out of the gate and quickly fizzling once the nostalgic buyers have had their fill. To be fair to the Bronco though, it appears to be a better vehicle than all of the above instead of just a retro body plopped on a existing platform which results in something far worse than the original body on the same platform.

If i liked SUVs i'd definitely be gunning for one of those

They (ford) have been talking up this relaunch for about 7 years and got serious about 3-4 yrs ago. And they build an OK 4wd, they know enough to be taken seriously it needs a crawler (it has it) , they have gone with a decent engine choice, 7sp manual or 10sp auto.

They have lots of room to F some things up 1st model yr. , but they have a lot right out of the gate.

6.4 hemi 0-60 in less than 5 sec wow on a Jeep
They're going to become the new mustang wiping out people on sidewalks near intersections. Short wheelbase, rwd and big power is not the best combination when piloted by attention whores.

FWIW, the trackhawk is a few seconds faster (but probably double the money)

Long as it doesnt get plagued with a jeep-err death wobble

That's a solid-front-axle problem (Wrangler. In the other Jeep models, solid axles have been history for quite a while. Some heavy-duty pickup trucks have this issue, too.) With independent front suspension, the Bronco shouldn't have that particular issue.

That being said, those big wheels and tires mean plenty of unsprung weight and related forces for the ball joints and tie-rod-ends etc to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom