Motul 5100 vs 7100 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motul 5100 vs 7100

An oil thread. Yikes!
Your owner's manual is your best friend.
Nice, a mod telling a member to kick rocks when they ask a motorcycle related question on a motorcycle forum... even if it is a what oil should I use one

Your words. NOT MINE. He was given good advice.
There is no owners manual in the world that will tell you motul 5100 is better or worse for your bike then motul 7100.

I always used 5100 Semi in the gixxer but when I turned it into strictly track I switched to 7100 because i didn't want to change it after every couple track days. My street ride became an Aprilia tuono and owners manual suggests using full synthetic so it made sense to use the same oil. I did about 8 track days last year and the oil that came out looked pretty good so I'm happy. If you really want to go crazy you can buy the Motul 300V. $95.00 on Amazon. It is super expensive but it claims to give you 2 -3 more horsepower.

An oil thread. Yikes!
Your owner's manual is your best friend.
Oh wow...a new level of "get off my lawn."

An owners manual will tell you viscosity and if synthetic is preferred as well as JASO etc, but not a brand.

I've used 300V, 7100 and 5100 before and have never noticed a difference. Just wonder if anyone had an engine failure with the semi-synthetic 5100?

The low tier of Motul is still extreme quality.

With inflation and supply chain issues coming, people are going to start asking questions like these. Whereas price and availability wasn't an issue before, it may become one very soon. You may end up getting only what's available and or affordable.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

Oh wow...a new level of "get off my lawn."

An owners manual will tell you viscosity and if synthetic is preferred as well as JASO etc, but not a brand.

I've used 300V, 7100 and 5100 before and have never noticed a difference. Just wonder if anyone had an engine failure with the semi-synthetic 5100?

The low tier of Motul is still extreme quality.

With inflation and supply chain issues coming, people are going to start asking questions like these. Whereas price and availability wasn't an issue before, it may become one very soon. You may end up getting only what's available and or affordable.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.
I may ride a lowly VStrom, but I only use 7100 in it. The reason is because I have found that as I get closer to the oil change interval, the shifting is still buttery smooth with the 7100. On my previous VStrom I tried Rotella T6, Castrol GTX and Gulf - all of which always seemed to get very clunky around 5000km. Then I tried out the 5100, which was better, but still a bit clunky. That old bike was a bit of lemon, or maybe I just suck at shifting, so not completely sure. During my last year of riding that bike, I got a bunch of the 7100 for free, so tried it out and loved it right to the end of interval, and have stuck with it on my newer VStrom.

As for cost, I was buying it for $60/jug at Corsa Mecchanica in Burlington, which was pretty sweet.

Last edited:
I find there is no discernable degradation in shift feel from when the oil is fresh to when its due for a change on the bikes I've had using the 7100. I haven't tried the 5100 so I can't compare, but compared to the oem oils that were in them I noticed a big difference in shifting and overall smoothness, especially when the temperature goes to either extreme.

I vaguely recall reading something about 300v NOT being recommended for street use, that it's track spec and doesn't deal well with street use conditions

I'm a big Motul fanboy, I've been using it for over a decade in all the vehicles I've had and have been very happy with the performance.

YMMV, but Motul 7100 is like my Frank's Red Hot, I'd put that **** in anything lol.

I wanna try 7100 next time I change, if it always feels like that buttery smooth fresh oil shifting I’m sold, used Lucas last change, super smooth for a bit but it gets clunky well before next oil change

I wanna try 7100 next time I change, if it always feels like that buttery smooth fresh oil shifting I’m sold, used Lucas last change, super smooth for a bit but it gets clunky well before next oil change
On my previous bike (Honda CB500F), I mostly used Motul 5100 but I put 7100 through it once. I did not notice a difference.

For my current, a KTM 790 Duke, the dealer invoiced 5100 for the first oil change. The quickshifter got very 'chonky' at less than 4k. Put Motul 7100 in it since and no shifter issues. I think the longest between changes was around 8000km and if it weren't for the bike's oil change interval indicator, I might not have realized. I normally change the oil every 7500km, cause thats splitting the 15,000km service interval.

At the same time, I'm not gonna recommend one over the other for any bike. Try it, see what happens.

OTOH, I had 300V in my ninja 300 track bike and everything was good. Tried LiquidMoly 4T Street and I'm not sure if its directly causing it but now it keeps falling out of gear on straights. I gotta decide in the spring if i'm gonna throw out a complete oil change worth just to find out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom