Motorcyclist vs Cyclist in Toronto. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcyclist vs Cyclist in Toronto.

as someone who has been on both sides they are both at fault.

Cyclist clearly is riding way to aggressively for the downtown core. I'm not one to care about people "properly" rolling a stop sign (Idaho stop) but that was a full on 4 lane red with zero checking for oncoming traffic. I used to ride with a few guys like this. They are usually so wrapped up in their Strava / Garmin data everything else goes out the window. I've watched a guy ride into the back of a bus full speed because he was staring at his computer the entire time. As a side note there is a big problem in Toronto with "segments" on the mentioned apps, which are basically time trials for small sections (usually 1-3km). There are well known spots like the Lakeshore rec. trail where the average speed is 50km/h+ for the "highscores". What you end up with is riding like this.

Rider needs to learn how to keep his cool. Just shake your head at people like this, they will sort themselves out pretty fast. What if this had been a vehicle on the highway that threaded the needle a little close? I'm guessing he would put himself in a similarly dumb position and is lucky he only got clipped by a 20lb bicycle. I swear some riders are more into confrontation / vigilante justice than motorcycles.

He is lucky the guy at :32 seconds saw him about to pop out behind the park car and didn't made that left - doesn't even look like the rider registered that. A good reminder of how dangerous it can be to open it up for a "few seconds" downtown.

I'm both a cyclist and and motorcyclist.

And from my 2 perspectives, from my experience and expert opinion, i can confirm that they're both idiots.

But then also seeing the chopper guy ream on the ninja made me laugh. Everybody got a good reaming. Everybody is an idiot. And that's why we can't have nice things.

And why other countries on the old continents have roads that have car priority vs bicycle priority in separate networks that dont impede on each other reducing traffic and stupid occurences like this. But hey, infrastructure isn't important over here, we think our road users are smart enough to save themselves.

And why other countries on the old continents have roads that have car priority vs bicycle priority in separate networks that dont impede on each other reducing traffic and stupid occurences like this. But hey, infrastructure isn't important over here, we think our road users are smart enough to save themselves.
We're not even smart enough for good infrastructure here to be honest. I go for a walk around Distillery every night and try to catch a glimpse of cars cruising in the streetcar-only lane on Cherry Street. They usually arrive at Front & Cherry in the streetcar lane, get confused at the traffic light, panic when a streetcar approaches and run a red light to get out of it. I've also seen cars just straight up assume that the median separates northbound and southbound traffic, and so they drive into oncoming traffic - luckily for me, I can use the bicycle lane as an escape route when I'm on my motorcycle. Then there's that SUV that drove into the Queen's Quay streetcar tunnel all the way to Union Station back in January. Let's call it a transition period for this city.

We're not even smart enough for good infrastructure here to be honest. I go for a walk around Distillery every night and try to catch a glimpse of cars cruising in the streetcar-only lane on Cherry Street. They usually arrive at Front & Cherry in the streetcar lane, get confused at the traffic light, panic when a streetcar approaches and run a red light to get out of it. I've also seen cars just straight up assume that the median separates northbound and southbound traffic, and so they drive into oncoming traffic - luckily for me, I can use the bicycle lane as an escape route when I'm on my motorcycle. Then there's that SUV that drove into the Queen's Quay streetcar tunnel all the way to Union Station back in January. Let's call it a transition period for this city.
The queens quay area has been a try at adapting infrastructure to be a bit better... but... due to improper safety measures and unclear directions gets used awkwardly. The tunnel issue has been quite embarassing to be honest hahaha

The queens quay area has been a try at adapting infrastructure to be a bit better... but... due to improper safety measures and unclear directions gets used awkwardly. The tunnel issue has been quite embarassing to be honest hahaha
Queens Quay is the poster child for how not to do things. The tunnel is a disaster and I can totally see how people not familiar with the area and even just slightly distracted get caught. The bike lanes are also a mess with people standing or just walking on them.

Is there a good example anywhere in the city? I'm ok with how it's been done on Harbord. I do see cars stopping where they're not supposed to, pulling U-turns out of the blue or crossing lines where they shouldn't, but overall it seems to move well enough for road users.

Queens Quay is the poster child for how not to do things. The tunnel is a disaster and I can totally see how people not familiar with the area and even just slightly distracted get caught. The bike lanes are also a mess with people standing or just walking on them.
it was part of my bike commute... you need to whether have good reflexes or a very good bell

a kid almost got hurt when he dropped his ball (near bathurst) and ran for it. i slowed down enough for him to get the ball and as i passed him, he was so unaware that he pivoted STRAIGHT into my stow bag...
and thats despite his mom yelling at him to not go get the ball 1000 times.
i apologized but she was like "nope, its my kids fault for not listening" and i could relate to that

Back
Top Bottom