Motorcycle storage tips for tight garage | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle storage tips for tight garage

DDean

Site Supporter
TIA!

One of the challenges Im working though to get a bike under my ***** is where I am going to put it at home.

I have two car garage (a REAL two car garage, not a 2.5) with a SUV and a sports car already in it as well as the typical things that you find in a garage (tool box, garbage/recycle, winter wheels, etc...). Im going to purge to make room for it infront of the cars for over the winter, but Im not sure how to navigate the bike from one end of the garage, pointed perpendicular, to the other end when Im using it daily. I dont have a bike yet but expect to get one after my MSF in a couple weeks.

I know that I can physically put it in there, either on the wall in front of the cars (far from the door) or between the cars overnight (but it will be REALLY tight).

Im trying to avoid having to move a car to get the bike out/in, or having the move the bike whenever a car comes in.

I have been poking around looking for ideas and Ive found dollies and stands.

Are there other aids that will facilitate navigating a bike in a garage with cars in it?

Surely Im not the only one with this challenge, what have others done?

I dont have a driveway (I have a back lane) and I cant get the bike into the backyard without going through the garage. I can street park it, but who wants to do that? Wife saying that Im not allowed to keep it on our front walk way.

Thanks!

You can get something like this? There's different brands out there.
[video=youtube;3OqDN4t1FzQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OqDN4t1FzQ[/video]

I bought one of the above from Royal Distributing last year. Works very well for shifting the bike around. Cannot remember what I paid.

Freeing up floorspace and getting tools/crap off the ground and up vertically by way of shelves, storage racks is the only way to go.
All the bright ideas will be posted on garagejournal.com (Visit at your own risk: you may never get off the site, and spend far too much money after a few hours of browsing...).

I bought a welded rack for my tires a few years back on kijiji from a local racer. Gets 8+ tires 5' off the ground.

whats the ~ $ for one of these? Anyone with real exoperience, do they work as advertised?

what is the weight limit? My bike is a little hefty

I park motorcycle in between cars in my garage, it just takes care when pulling in. Even my teenage sons have no issues not hitting anything.
Car to the left hugs a bit to the left, car on the right stays tight to the right.

Sadly, we gave up on the idea and one car parks outside in winter. Mine, of course.

Between motorcycle, 5 bicycles, sports gear, workbench, etc, there's just no room in our 2 car garage for 2 cars no matter how I rearrange things!

Don't waste your money on any of that stuff. I have a single car garage with all the same stuff you mentioned plus a snow blower lawn mower etc. All I do is back my bike up in the garage and position it parallel to the wall (in front of the car, kickstand leaning towards car). The bike actually takes up very little room this way. It's very easy to pull out whenever you go for a ride (of course I have to move my car out first). It takes me a little longer to back in. I just ride my bike in the garage, then a do few three point turns in the garage until I can back the bike up and parallel to the rear wall.

And if you're a baller/not-a-broke-student, you might be able to snag a 4-post lift for under $2,000 and park MANY bikes :)

I've never had a car in my garage...garage is for my bike + assorted other crap. Car will not melt or dissolve outside in winter....bike wouldn't like it as much.

[video=youtube;3OqDN4t1FzQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OqDN4t1FzQ[/video]

Thats cool but probably takes up too much room for the amount of space I have.

if space allows, install a tire holder/shelf above the cars to free up floor space, and either park the bike in front or behind the car you use least.

there's always this: http://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-motorcycle-dolly-95896.html to move it around in the garage, but it all depends on the size of the bike, etc.

I did come across that slider and it could work, but I really like your idea of building an elevated storage system that you can put the hood of one of the cars under allowing you to park deep and free up space behind for a bike. That WOULD work for us, Id have to swap spots with my wife but that would work.

Freeing up floorspace and getting tools/crap off the ground and up vertically by way of shelves, storage racks is the only way to go.
All the bright ideas will be posted on garagejournal.com (Visit at your own risk: you may never get off the site, and spend far too much money after a few hours of browsing...).

Dangerous site! I backed out of it seconds before I got sucked in for good. You guys recommending getting everything off the floor and up in the air are on to something.

I park motorcycle in between cars in my garage, it just takes care when pulling in. Even my teenage sons have no issues not hitting anything.
Car to the left hugs a bit to the left, car on the right stays tight to the right.

Your two car garage sounds like a 2.5 to me. We park our cars inches from the side walls and there is only space to walk between the cars. We have to back one in so that the driver door can open and even then we are 2-3f eet between the cars. True two car garages are really 1.5 cars comfortably.

Don't waste your money on any of that stuff. I have a single car garage with all the same stuff you mentioned plus a snow blower lawn mower etc. All I do is back my bike up in the garage and position it parallel to the wall (in front of the car, kickstand leaning towards car). The bike actually takes up very little room this way. It's very easy to pull out whenever you go for a ride (of course I have to move my car out first). It takes me a little longer to back in. I just ride my bike in the garage, then a do few three point turns in the garage until I can back the bike up and parallel to the rear wall.

I can see how that would work but backing the car out every AM to go to work and then doing the same again in the eve would get tiring very quickly.

And if you're a baller/not-a-broke-student, you might be able to snag a 4-post lift for under $2,000 and park MANY bikes :)

Far from a baller but I looked into lifts awhile ago when I was trying to fit another car under my former NSX. My rafters are not high enough.

My solution is just build a bigger garage!

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! Not viable, unfortunately.

Thanks so much for all of the replies - it didnt take long for you guys to find a solution. Get everything off the floor infront of my car and park as far forward as possible. That frees up enough space behind the car to put the bike there. Awesome stuff.

Thanks!

If your not willing to move a car to ride a bike then maybe you should not get one.
I would move 3 cars if it ment no mike

If it's your car, why do you have to move it? Keep the bike behind the car (closest to the garage door)
I park my car furthest in (driveway), followed by my girlfriends car, and then I slip my bike at the end of the driveway right next to the lawn. Why do I need my car, I have a bike. If I need the car for something and my gf is home I'll just take her car. Pretty much, if your'e commuting on your bike, why do you even need your car if your wife/gf has one? (unless its your sunday sports car)

Yup^

I have things that need to go infront of the car. Previous posters suggested getting those things up off the floor so that you can park the hood of the car under them. Great suggestion - that will allow me to pull the car all the way in and put the bike behind as you suggest. That's the answer to my problem and it took you guys all of 10 minutes to solve it!

The bike is to commute to work and park for free. Pretty much everywhere else I go is driving my kids to and from their activities. You young guys have lots to look forward to!

Thanks to all again.

Back
Top Bottom