Motorcycle Purchase Without License or Insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Purchase Without License or Insurance

Goosey

Hey Everyone,

I am planning to buy a motorcycle by the end of the year as prices as lower. I will get my M1 and take the M1X Course in April 2020.

How would the purchase and transfer of ownership work as I currently do not have a motorcycle license and assume that I, therefore, cannot get motorcycle insurance. (I have a driver's license and auto insurance, if that helps - company does not cover bikes)?

From what I've read on the forums, you can transfer ownership but cannot register the motorcycle or get plates. The Service Ontario website says insurance is required for registration but does not show what's needed for transfers.

What are the implications of doing it this way?
How would the safety inspection work? Will I need to have proof of safety now for the transfer of ownership or when I get insurance and register the bike?
What about the UVIP? Now for transfer or later for registration?

I would really appreciate if someone would help outline the steps and provide details of how to buy a motorcycle in this situation.

Thanks

if you are buying new....just have them hold it till you have your license. If you sign a bill of sale with the condition that they hold it till April.....they will.

I purchased my CBR125 in December 2010 because it was a steal of a deal...got my M1 in March of 2011, then did the M2 course on Mother's day weekend...had the bike delivered just shortly after I got my M1...dealer stored it for me no problem and everything was done when I set up insurance the day I got my M1...

Register it as unfit, then you have ownership (y) I think the title search is mandatory but not very expensive.

Yup. Look into insurance. Not sure if you want it or not, but most home policies won’t cover a bike. If you do want it, you may have problems there without a valid motorcycle licence.

YMMV

I had the same situation this year. I was passed down a bike but I had no license or insurance. Ownership doesn't require either of those things. I got the bike transferred/registered to me but because I couldn't plate it (no safety, no insurance), I registered it as UNFIT UNPLATED. Now that I have my license, I can get insurance, get the bike saftied, then register the bike again as FIT PLATED.

Thank you everyone for the responses and advice.

Is there any way to get an idea of how much insurance would be? The insurance companies that I have called refuse to quote without a license.
I realize that it is difficult to provide an accurate quote without a license or having completed a course. However, if I can get a rough idea (ex: $2000 +/- 20%), it would be very helpful. I am considering bikes like the CBR125R, Ninja 250R, CBR250RA, Ninja 300.

Thanks again

@ Goosey just tell them you have your M2...you got your M1 60 days ago and your M2 today...it's just a quote...that'll help you decide which bike to get...

Yeah I'd just get a quote with what @ifiddles said. Weird because I spoke over the phone with many companies and always said I was getting my course done ____ day and m2 on ____ and that was enough for them to quote me.

if you are buying new....just have them hold it till you have your license. If you sign a bill of sale with the condition that they hold it till April.....they will.

I'm paranoid about other people holding onto stuff I've paid for. If the dealership goes under your deposit and the ownership of the bike becomes part of their assets and you'll be way down on the list of people to be paid. If you have a place to store it take it home with a safety and no plates. If the bike is registered in your name it's no longer a dealer asset if things go south but since it's in your name why not have it in your home.

I'm paranoid about other people holding onto stuff I've paid for. If the dealership goes under your deposit and the ownership of the bike becomes part of their assets and you'll be way down on the list of people to be paid. If you have a place to store it take it home with a safety and no plates. If the bike is registered in your name it's no longer a dealer asset if things go south but since it's in your name why not have it in your home.
Yeah, I lost a Suzuki repair manual that way. I paid for it, they ordered it in, and called me to pick it up. When I went in to pick it up, they couldn't find it. Very shortly after, they went belly up.

once you have the ownership....this is not a concern. And the ownership should be in your hand the day you buy it.

Just get it fit unplated and plate it when you are ready.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Hey guys, I can get my m2 only on July 29th and want to buy bike today/tomorrow. The bike is safetied and from what it looks like I need to have insurance to get it plated. I can't get insurance with my m1 before I get the m2. I wonder if I can register it as unfit, and then lately when I get my m2 and insurance, get it plated and fit with existing safety certificate. Would the existing safety certificate from seller work after I have registered the bike on my name as unfit or do I have to redo the safety again when coming back for the plate ?

Hey guys, I can get my m2 only on July 29th and want to buy bike today/tomorrow. The bike is safetied and from what it looks like I need to have insurance to get it plated. I can't get insurance with my m1 before I get the m2. I wonder if I can register it as unfit, and then lately when I get my m2 and insurance, get it plated and fit with existing safety certificate. Would the existing safety certificate from seller work after I have registered the bike on my name as unfit or do I have to redo the safety again when coming back for the plate ?

The safety cert is valid for 36 days after the inspection. If you try to register the motorcycle after the cert expires, you will have to pay to get it safetied again.

The safety cert is valid for 36 days after the inspection. If you try to register the motorcycle after the cert expires, you will have to pay to get it safetied again.
Thanks that means even if I registered the bike as unfit, so long seller's safety cert is still active I can still use it once plating it when time comes right?

Back
Top Bottom